Need help on basic rule of PrivateFirewall 7.0.25.5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by netxman, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netxman

netxman Registered Member

:(

I'm new to use this firewall.
    Installed this version with default settings.
    When I choose Firewall On - Filter Traffic mode, seems even Internet Explorer cannot access internet, even though I set all rules to Allow under application menu and process menu..

What should I do to allow a specified application access internet?

Please see the image and help on this, thanks.

Attached Files:

• pf.jpg
      pf.jpg
      File size:
      135.7 KB
      Views:
  2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Have you allowed DNS traffic, UDP, remote port 53, for svchost? Also, if the firewall logs traffic, check them for what's being blocked.

3. netxman

Thanks.

I'm not sure..all are default settings,pls see the image.

So this firewall also needs to be set up something first before we use it?

wait...how can I upload the image in advanced reply ? no option...

4. netxman

5. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Like this.

Attached Files:

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

@netxman,

I've installed in the Windows 7 vm, went with the defaults and it's working fine, allowing IE. Did you check the rules for IE? There should be at least 6, as seen in the screenshot.

*EDIT*

it's even automatically adding fw rules for applications I check for updates from the first time, so it should be allowing network access for your applications that need it. Can you provide a screenshot of the log entries whenever an app is blocked?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011
  7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

8. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Hi netxman,

Did you mean all programs on your computer could not access to the Internet or just IE?

I had the same experience before. Sometimes you just gotta uninstall it and reboot you computer and then install it again. When the installation complete, you need to wait a while till everything is stable. Also make sure you don't have leftovers from other firewalls you installed on you system before.

Good luck!

9. netxman

Thank you all.

Hi wat0114,my OS is win7 pro sp1 and I didn't change any rules, for IE, mine is the same as yours, 6 items and all are selected.

I think there's something strange with the OS environment because my home computer, widows xp pro sp3, installed this fw with default settings, everything works fine. but the profile is home profile, the office pc is office profile. I tried to set the office pc use office profile, same issue.

About the log in Firewall Log section,are they all blocked items? I mean everything here are blocked action? That's too much and blink too fast..I dont konw how to filter the Block IE action...I'll try later to upload the snapshot because I gonna go.

Hi JoeBlack40、JRViejo, I indeed did that last time, you see I attached one in the first post but in reply there is no Manage Attachments button then, but today it shows up in reply...I'm not kidding...never mind I will catch the screen next time and it's not the big problem.

Hi operamail, yes, all programs, when I turn on the filter mode, just like the deny traffic mode, network down. I didn't install any firewall before. I will reinstall the fw and follow your advice to see if there is a bug in it..:shifty:

10. fblais

fblais Registered Member

The log indeed shows blocked actions.
    In Privatefirewall, Deny rules take precedence over Allow rules.
    Privatefirewall also does not support rule ordering at all.

I've had an email exchange with Greg Salvato at Privacyware about this.
    They're probably working on making several changes to make PFW more intuitive to use.

As it is right now, I don't like the way it works.
    Pretty confusing.

Since I'm behind a router, I simply use Windows FW for inbound protection, and WSA takes care of the outbound.

Hope this helps.
    François

11. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Perhaps the Company Firewall is blocking Internet access.

Per say, the Internet Connection is denied globally for all applications in Private Firewall regardless of the
    Profile setting in Private Firewall, whether Home Profile or Office Profile is set or used for the Office Computer.

Contact the Systems Administrator of the Company Network.

Good advice by operamail in Post #8, after reinstalling Private Firewall wait until Private Firewall stabilizes.
    Meaning that after Private Firewall is installed, Private Firewall by default keeps its self in Traing Mode for
    ten minutes in order to create some Rules then automatically disables Traning Mode. So install Private Firewall
    at Work, not at Home.

HKEY1952

12. netxman

fblais, thanks for your advice. :)

HKEY1952, I don't think it's related with Company Firewall,because I'm using the direct line connected to Internet, it's out of the local network indeed. If I choose Firewall Off mode, all internet access are available.

I'm tring to resintall now.

13. netxman

That's really bothering me...I tried to describe exactly what I did.

I uninstalled the fw and restart,then installed again with default settings.after that the fw didn't start automatically so I reboot again.

The fw started with windows and popped up if I want o add the current network to trusted network, I choose add.

Then I tried to open IE,msn and other browser..everything seemed okay,I want to know what program try to access internet so I changed the setting to Manual Control and Always display alerts for new outgoing connections.This is the only thing I changed.see the imgs. But it seemed not work,no any outgoing traffic were monitored and alert me.Only the Process Monitor popped up (I chose Firewall Off mode)

The funny thing is when I still tring to find why the outgoing alert didn't show up, about ten minutes later......the network down. I was pinging google.com since the beginning and I watched it from "Reply from" to "Request timed out".

I didn't do any change since the ten minutes....and I reboot again,same issue.

The three imgs showed the settings in the first ten minutes when the network was oaky under Firewall Filter mode.

I can't figure it out even dont know where to start the analysis.

Forgive my poor english pls, too many grammar mistakes.

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      97.6 KB
      Views:
    • 222.jpg
      222.jpg
      File size:
      58.1 KB
      Views:
    • 333.jpg
      333.jpg
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views:
  14. operamail

I think you better send a ticket to Greg.

15. netxman

Thanks operamail. I sent a ticket to Mr.Greg as the same time I posted this first thread. And he replied to ask me something, then I recommended him to come here to get what he wants to know. Hope he will come to help us.

Thank you all. :)

16. operamail

Yes, excellent customer support for a free product!:thumb:

17. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

If you choose manual control you have to manually make the rules. At least when I last used it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.