Need help in configuring ATI !!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jatti, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jatti

jatti Registered Member

Hi ,
    I am completely a new user of Acronis True Image home .
    I Have an ACER 5004 notebook with the following configuration :
    1. Windows XP professional SP2 with media center
    2. I have a 60 gb hard disk with three partition of 20 gb each with C drive being logical and active partition .

I made full back up of my c drive using ATI on 2 R/W DVD's .
    I have few questions, would appreciate your help

1. For full back up do i have to make back up of my other two drives to restore my notebook in case of hardware failure ?

2. Which is the best way to back up in my case as i can only back up in DVD?

3. During backup ATI asked for an option to install acronis components in my back up. So do i need separate cd for booting in case of a windows crash?

4. Do i need Acronis Secure zone partition in my hard disk ?

5. And lastly since i have installed ATI whenever i run it my network connection stops working with download suddenly dropping to zero . Is this some issue with ATI ?
    i am able to connect only after i reboot my router.
    Would like to add that i have ZoneAlarm pro(firewall ) installed and i did provide ATI with full network access.

Would Appreciate any help.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Unless you plan to do automatic scheduled backups, you do not need to have the TI software installed. The bootable cd will do all the basic Backup, Recovery, and Clone functions. So be sure to create one from the installed TI software.
    Many here, including myself, find that the SZ is no longer needed. The idea of creating one on your system drive is a last resort method, since if your drive goes south, so do the backups in the SZ. Nowadays, with external drives so relatively inexpensive, it is better to keep your backups on one of those. Backing up to optical media will become an exercise in frustration during the restore process if your backup requires 4 or more discs. It will have you swapping those discs in and out like there's no tomorrow. :'( :'(
    You didn't say what you had on the other two partitions, but most users backup the entire drive.

3. jatti

jatti Registered Member

Thanks DwnNdr for your reply ,

I will eventually buy external drive but in meantime for precaution only i made back up on DVD .
    In my other drives i have the usual books, data ,songs ,etc so is there any need to back up them.
    As you said in your post should i remove ATI from my notebook then?
    I did create ATI secure zone thing but with only 50 mb to get it working , isn't it essential in working of ATI?:doubt: :doubt:

thank you again

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2007
  4. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Jatti

I have just read your Post. Would you confirm that your C: drive is logical and active? Do you mean Primary and active?

marserobert

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

For more info about the Secure Zone, check the Useful Forum Threads and click on the Secure Zone link.

For general "how to's" about use of TrueImage Home, check my guides, link below.

6. jatti

jatti Registered Member

Hi ,

Thanks to all for your posts .
    Marserobert

Ya C: drive is my primary and active drive , one with OS on it

jatti

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jatti,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As DwnNdrty said most users prefer to backup the entire hard drive. This will give you the ability to restore the whole system should the hard drive fails. However, if you plan to save space on the backup storage media or simply do not need to back up data on the other partitions you can back up the system partition only.

Please note that as you mentioned when backing up to removable media (CD or DVD discs), you can make this media bootable by writing to it additional components. Thus, you will not need a separate rescue disk. Check chapter 6.3.9 "Media components" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide for details.

In addition, you can create a separate media with "Full" and "Safe" variants of standalone version of Acronis True Image.

I would also recommend that you take a look at this previous thread describing some Acronis One-Click Restore (one of the media components) peculiarities.

To answer this question please have a look at my reply in this thread <Secure Zone Necessary?>

In order to investigate this issue, please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Jatti - Maxtor ext. HD's were bought out by Seagate and you can probably pick up a deal. I got a 160GB Maxtor for $70 in Radio Shack. Even the Seagate site has them marked down so you can buy them online if you have to. :D
    Mine works great. They're formatted NTFS.

9. jatti

jatti Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for there help ,

As posted in forums firstly i disabled ASZ from my laptop . Secondly the network issue i mentioned was due Zone alarm and not due to ATI

I would like your advice on this (thanks in advance) since presently i do not own any external drive , will get in a month though. Now my question is
    1.As i already have back up of my c drive(Primary drive), can i just back up stuff from rest of my drives (i.e. d & e drive ) with "My documents" option in ATI?

2.or should i start from scratch and make back up of my whole drive ??

Thank you
    Jatti:cool:

10. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

It appears that you only backed up your C partition, correct? You could use the "My Documents" backup to capture just those files and folders. MY personal preference is to make a Full Backup of the complete drive which will include all the partitions not just C. If you need to restore everything is there. It won't hurt to re-do the backup of your whole drive. If you search through the forums for backup strategies or approaches you will find several different ways to do it.

11. jatti

jatti Registered Member

thanks tom for your post ,

I did search through the forums and made nback uo of my whole hard disk

Thanks to all for their support
    :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.