Need help imaging Dynamic Disk!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rmcompsol, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmcompsol

rmcompsol Registered Member

Here is my situation:

I have purchased TIS8.0 and have upgraded to the latest build.
    I have a Windows 2000 server with a single 36GB SCSI drive which is Dynamic and contains 3 partitions:
    1st Partition: Drive G: is the system partition (5GB)
    2nd Partition: Drive P: has Exchange installed on it (10GB)
    3rd Partition: Drive C: (20GB)

I did NOT build this server - I would never have created such a strange lettering scheme!

My question is:

I have run out of disk space on the G: and P: partitions and would like to upgrade to a single 73GB SCSI drive. How do I image the drive so I don't screw anything up?

I followed some instructions I read in other threads that mentioned I would need to image the entire drive, then restore the (entire disk) image to the new drive and then re-restore the individual partitions - But when I tried this, I wasn't given the option to restore the entire disk; I could only restore individual partitions.

I realize that when I restore the image, I will have a Basic disk instead of Dynamic. I don't want to use Dynamic anyway.

Can you please give me some specific guidelines?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rmcompsol,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

You should have been given a choice to restore the whole disk if you create the image of the whole disk. Please make sure you have checked the box near the disk number when creating the image. This will allow you to check similar box during the restoration.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. rmcompsol

rmcompsol Registered Member

When I created the image, I was given the option to select the entire disk, but when I tried to restore the image I was NOT allowed to select the entire disk, only the individual partitions.

4. napoleon

napoleon Registered Member

As a fellow user of Dynamic Disk, maybe I can help... Yes, you are right in that you can't select all the partitions at once. However, this is what you do: Select the first partition you want to restore and follow the menus (pick a destination, whether it is Active, Primary, or Logical, and whether you want to resize your disk during restore). At the very end of this, it will ask you whether you want to restore another partition. Select Yes, and repeat this process for each of your three partitions. When you are finally done with all three, select No when asked to restore another, and the job will kick off. I hope this helps. Here's a hint...restore the main drive as Active and the other two as Primary. They will restore as Basic Disk, at which point you can keep it like that or convert them to Dynamic again. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.