Need help from OutPost Pro users with rules to unblock some things in the log

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Rilla927, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hello gang,

I have a huge mess on my hands that needs sorted by some experts. I was never good with rules so this explains why I cannot solve this. There are multiple things that are blocked according to the event viewer.

Let me explain this setup first so you have a idea of whats going on. I have my daughters laptop that is plugged in by ethernet to the back of my router which is identified as 192.168.11.3 (my daughters). My computer is the same but ends with 2.

You can clearly see "IN UDP: 192.168.11.2 (mine), Target Address: 255.255.255.255= Packet to closed port.

The same above except Target Address: is my daughters computer= Packet to closed port.

"IN TCP 72.247.8.139 (source address) Port 80 to Target Address: my daughters computer= Blocked by Attack Detection Component. I even went in and disabled this and it still does it.

"IN UDP (source address is) my DNS 2 server 208.76.51.51 Port 53 to Target Address: my daughters computer= Packet to closed port.

"OUT UDP (Source Address) my daughters computer 192.168.11 to Target Address: my DNS Server 1 & 2 208.76.50.50, 208.76.51.51.

I have worked on my daughters laptop many times before and this has never happened. It all started with me not even being able to connect to the net at all.

Where is the log located for the event viewer? Thanks so much fellas!

2. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Perhaps you could ask over at the Outpost forum where experts reside:
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/forum.php

Maybe you should be prepared to answer few questions there, such as:
    1. What is your and her Windows version?
    2. What is your and her Outpost version?
    3. Do you use internet connection sharing or just a common router?
    4. How is your NetBios setup under LAN settings? Do you allow any range in the Trusted column (if yes, next point is important)?
    5. What is the server you/she has, if any, that Akamai want to connect to (from their port 80)? Are you sure you want to allow inbound from Akamai trying to connect to daughter's computer? Which application allows inbound connection?
    6. Do both computers use data subsystems (datasub.com in Florida) DNS servers?
    7. Why do you want to unblock things such as DNS(?) packets to closed ports? or broadcasts/broadcast replies?
    8. Maybe you could copy few lines from the log you mentioned into a text file or include in a post
    9. Are you now able to connect to the net?

Logs are under Tools. Click the downarrow on top to select which log to read. For some reason Outpost separates firewall log and packet log (don't ask me why). Also you have there antileak and component logs which might answer some of your queries as related to the applications you have.

3. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

i concurr with the above suggestions. you'll likely get quicker help over on our forum - providing the requested info will help us help you faster. the forum is a user operated and moderated forum.please post in the appropriate subforum for the security suite or the firewall only product.

p.s. - to answer your question, the logs folder i set in the adanced sttings under 'logs', click the button to go to the folder. they are in text files, but the event viewer is really the best way to look at them as they are relational files and some of the columns are linked to other files by codes and not easily interpreted.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/kronckew/stuff/Capture001-18.jpg

if you are using ICS to let your other pc's onto the internet thru yours, you may need to add their IP addresses to the lan settings and allow netbios and NAT.

4. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I'm sorry you guys I posted the wrong part of the log. Disregard this. Thank you for your help anyway!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.