Need General Advice

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by neo1, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo1

neo1 Registered Member

Hi, I am new to the world of internet security and privacy. I have been doing some reading about it both in books and on the internet. I thought I was secure but now I realize my security is poor. I use Norton's SystemWorks Pro which includes their AV software and Ghost for backups. I read some reviews on the net that Norton AV is not very good and that McAfee is much better as are others. I also use the free version of Zone Alarm. I have recently added SpyBot and the free version of Ad-aware. I am testing Pest Patrol and TDS.

I want to have my system as secure as possible without spending a fortune. I am thinking about buying Pest Patrol and TDS as well as upgrading to Zone Alarm Pro. Since I am a novice in this area the programs need to provide maximum security and yet be easy to set up and use.

Any help?

2. StAnger

StAnger Registered Member

If you like TDS and already have Spybot S&D and AdAware 6, PestPatrol is overkill IMO.
    Agreed that there may be better AV's then NAV, but much better is doubtfull. There are much faster AV's and AV's that detect more trojans, but again: with TDS on board I wouldn't worry about that. Also have a look at free programs like SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard and IE-SpyAd that offer protection from getting spyware & dialers on your computer.

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi neo1, If you decide to buy TDS3 there is a deal on the DCS site to get TDS3, WormGuard & Port Exploer http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=shop - With free upgrades to TDS4 &WG4 when they are released.

All are top rated and DCS support is second to none :D

4. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi neo1,

Welcome to Wilders!

I, personally, do not care for any of the consumer versions of NAV but I like McAfee even less :)

For alternatives I would recommend you try NOD32 by Eset (very fast scanner with excellent email protection!) or Kaspersky.

As to everything else StAnger and Pilli mentioned I whole-heartedly agree.

Regards,

Dan

5. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

someone mentioned WormGuard, and the thread originator mentioned NAV...

when i ran the evaluation version of WG on my machine not long ago, it so screwed up my Symantec programs (some would argue that they didn't have far to go), that the only way i could fix things was to restore an image i had created with DriveImage just prior to installing WormGuard...

so imo, be wary of WormGuard and SystemWorks or Norton AntiVirus... not a lot of compatibility there, from my experience.

hth

:)

mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.