Need for a Firewall?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by CDreier, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDreier

CDreier Registered Member

I'm running Windows XP-SP3 on a Desktop computer that is hardwired behind a Lynksys router connected to the Internet via Time Warner Cable. My question is whether I really need a firewall other than the XP firewall? I know the XP firewall is of little value, but considering the configuration, wouldn't I be okay with NOD3.0 instead of using the Suite? Thanks.

2. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

Yes, you'd be fine with NOD32 alone. In fact, I'd recommend it. Eset's firewall won't offer you much - you'd be saving yourself money and resources.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Under XP with default account with Admin rights , the Windows Firewall settings can be manipulated easier by any program (simply because of ithe fact it has already gained Admin rights) . That is not so true for ESS (or any other 3rd party firewall) . In Vista , the user at least needs to provide approval to UAC . In addition , ESS's firewall (if in Interactive mode) can help protect the user from malware that communicates with Internet (downloaders , etc.) . ESET's firewall also checks the execuatable for changes and if they try to communicate outside , the firewall will alert.

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

5. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

True, 'Personal Firewall' and 'Firewall' are two different things. It still worth having a layered approach to security - no single layer is infallible nor can it provide 100% protection.

Cheers :)

6. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

i have also shiro router witch have firewall but a hardware firewall did not tell you what program is conecting to internet so you must have a firewall on OS
    ESS Firewall block many attack that my router firewall did not detect
    like these
    CodeRed worm detection
    SqlSlammer worm detection
    RPC/DCOM attack detection
    Sasser worm detection
    DNS Poisoning attack detection
    Port scanning attack detection
    SMB Relay attack detection
    TCP Desynchronization attack detection
    Reverse TCP Desynchronization attack detection
    ICMP protocol attack detection

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.