Need DPC (Deffered Procedure Call) experts!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hello, I have little to no experience when it comes to DPC, but I've been having this problem with my laptop this month which seems to have arrive "out of the blue".

I noticed it this week when I got completely random FPS drops whilst playing Left4Dead, so I looked at the Task Manager and realized that every short fps drop correlated with l4d's cpu usage dropping for a 1-2sec, but nothing was using that.

I booted up Process Explorer from sysinternals and found out that every drop correlated with DPC using a large amount of cpu then dorpping back to 0.

To sum it up it seems that because L4D uses nearly 100% cpu on both cores, it gets a stutter when DPC "steals" from it.

I did research on DPC and used the Windows Performance Analyzer tools (xperf) to log what's using and here are the results:

After playing L4D for a little bit to log these incidents, here's the table for DPC Usage:
    table.jpg

...and the graph:
    graph.jpg

I can upload the log if needed. Was made with a xperf.exe -on DiagEasy

I thought maybe there is a problem with some USB appliances so I unplugged them all and that usage went away, but I still got stutters ingame. Any ideas/opinions?

2. elapsed

Is this in the wrong forum?

3. elapsed

No one around with DPC experience?

4. elapsed

Just closing the issue, there appears to be a problem with my fan, at least, my CPU is overheating when playing a game. Since it is a laptop, it auto clocks down when it gets too hot, reaching 90C. The action of auto clocking down/up every 3 seconds or so because of the changing temperature was my main problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.