Need Clarity

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vampywitch, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vampywitch

vampywitch Registered Member

I have read many of the posts, also gone thru the FAQ and I am still very confused. I want to mirror my two internal hard drives, meaning that I not only want a back up, but want whatever I am doing at the time on either internal drive to be copied onto an external drive at the same time. Does TI do this and if so how do I get started? If TI does not do this, then my next idea would be to have a backup of everything on these two drives, software included, not just files, and every day or two be able to have that backup include anything new between backups. I think Clone is what I want, but I definitely do not want to lose whatever I currently have on the internal drives. I am no novice to backup systems on company network systems, and know that you can have a mirror systems that is constantly making a copy of what is going on in one drive to another. Hopefully I have expressed my concerns and desires clear enough for someone to be able to help me. Thanks bunches Vampy

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

To be "constantly" updating, you want to setup a Raid system. The nearest thing to that feature in True Image is called Scheduled Backups. Search the FAQ for that if you still want to use True Image.

3. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

As an alternative to a RAID setup, I believe you can achieve this with some of the more robust synchronization programs. You might take a look at ViceVersa Pro along with their VVEngine, at this link http://www.tgrmn.com/. I think you would still want an imaging program such as TI for disaster recovery of your System partition.
    CatFan

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Absolutely, if you true mirroring on the fly, you want a RAID 1 set up, preferably through hardware rather than software. If you motherboard doens't directly support/prived RAID1, then you can get a card that will.

With RAID1, two drives are always written to the sme way at the smae time and the system treats the pair as one single drive. If one drive goes bonkers, you can keep right on working until you replace the bad drive. Then the RAID system will rebuild the RAID array by putting the mirror image on the new drive and your only down time is the time it take to remove the old drive and put in the new one. This usbstanitally reduces your having a big loss of data from a hardware ddrive failure.

But it won't protect from software doing whacky things to a drive - if it does, the both drives inthe array will be whacky the same way -- that's when you will want to restore a saved good image of the RAID drive(s) to get you back to where you were before things went whacky.

RIAD1 and imaging backup software -- two diffs methods for two diff kinds of otherwise disasterous problems.

5. vampywitch

Thank you all so very much. Because of the major disaster I recently had I feel I definitely need the Raid type backup system, and I understand that problems can abound on both drives should I get bad software or a virus or whatever, which is why I plan on also having a good daily or weekly backup. Using the scheduled TI backup system, will I be able to get software as well as files backed up, as that is my biggest concern since I use many software programs, some of which I no longer have easy access to. I do a lot of beta testing, plus just plain testing of software for others to be able to give recommendations on the program. I have several external HD's where I store older data and once I get them all reorganized, I will remove and save them for future use, if needed, but they will only contain data files, no software, except for some exe files, which is another reason I need a program or system that will not only backup data that is on my internal drive but also the software programs. Again thanks, I really appreciate everyones help and suggestions. Vampy

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

With all the resources at your disposal, I would do daily full backups, and perhaps make a weekly clone - all on external drives.

7. vampywitch

Thanks Ralphie. I agree with your idea. Can I use the clone portion of TI without it wiping out my original drive. I have not tried it yet, but directions make me think it clones what is on original drive to a different drive, and then wipes that drive, but I have also read that you have a choice of keeping or deleting. This was part of my original question about using True Image. Like I originally said, the directions and/or synopsis of each thing TI does is a bit confusing. Thanks again Vampy

8. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

One of the cloning options is to NOT delete the source (original) drive if you choose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.