Need AV, Firewall...and Virtualbox ?? anyone?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cancelx, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cancelx

cancelx Registered Member

Hey all, newbie here, completely in the dark.... sorry in advance, and any thoughts (polite ones, haha, would be appreciated)

I have almost always installed AVG Free, ZoneAlarm Free, Spybot SD and now SuperAntiSpyware on my PCs (I build my own). Usually stay clean and zippy. I use Firefox.

Recently, out of the blue (with no software change) Firefox started displaying Empty Menu boxes, long pauses in command executions and locking (CPU was 50% and almost 1GB of 2GB Ram use).

Long story short, I tracked it to AVG Add-ons in Firefox. Disabled we are good to go, but I want a change !

After much reading (and determined to stay Free...) I have ideas, COULD PEOPLE GIVE ME PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE?

I use a simple Dual Core, 2GB Ram system, it's on (and online) a good 14 hours a day. Wired Router Connected to High Speed.

---That said...... I'm liking this arrangement:

Online Armor Free Firewall
    Avast Free 5
    (some good malware/spyware if this is not enough??)

I use Youtube a lot, MSN Chat and google for a lot of researching. I try to be mindful of all clicks, and usually check the link first by loading the "cached" version first.

--Now, I read a few reports Avast Free was worse than AVG, True ? I also read it's the best... go figure.

I'm mind boggled at this point. I even reformatted the computer when it started, worried I picked something up (I didn't) -- except every time I start and log-out of MSN, AVG reports an adbureau, or sqlite or some such tracking cookie (I read it's built into MSN).

So.............New setup look good? Missing something,? Change something?

I read about Sandboxie and VirtualBox (VB because it's free !) Is this REALLY needed? And if you are someone who uses it, could you please PM me to explain how it works. I assume you can assign an outside (out of the box) directory to download from the internet or move from the box to the directory, so when you close your VB session, any downloads are saved?

*Is GeSWall a Firewall or like VB? (use GeSWall in place of Online Armor?)

Again, any helps are appreciated, gotta get back to writing work, SOON.

Kindest,

James

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. ratwing

ratwing Guest

cancelx:
    Brother,I will talk only about what I have knowledge of.
    I cant function with out Sandboxie. I just cant.

So that is a keeper.

You have 2gigs of Ram,so there is no reason why not to keep VirtualBox,if you have a
    license for the operating system,and if you intend to play with malware,or need to test applications that need reboot to work.

SpyBot for all its honorable service,is long in the tooth,and I would consider removing it.

GesWall.to my understanding,is a policy sandbox,that makes use of Windows own functions.
    I have had NO problems with it,but could just not get comfortable with it.(I know that makes no sense.)

I do not like Avast!,and I have not used AVG since 7.5 days. (that's why they make Fords&Chevy's,right?)

You might look into a virtualization based security arrangement such as Returnil/ShadowDefender with Sandboxie,with few on-demand scanners..

Doesnt matter,you are asking the right questons,and are already safer for doing so!!

Respect,
    rat

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Cancelx,

When you are not a click maniac, OA free plus Avast free are an excellent combo to balance security and paranoia. One tip: run your internet facing software (browser, media player, mail, etc) as RUN SAFER with OA (right click on the process within OA).

Regards

4. cancelx

Thanks all-

So, is a sandbox used WITH the A/V ?

Not quite getting that part of the equation...

could some point me to a simple guide, or send me some pointers?

much appreciated--

ps-- no i dont already have VB or Sandbox, I just tried to do a little research after seeing people in here making that move. I don't do test programming or anything, just with the amount of time and research I use the net for, I thought Sandboxie or VB might be a good route... if I figure it out of course (grin)... still use an A/V etc... still baffling me, but then, I've had no chocolate yet today......

kindest
    jim

ps--- never thought to ask...... am I able to have my Internet in a Sandbox but at the same time be working on a Microsoft Word document without protection so I can edit and save it, while searching the net in VB?

having to reboot between VB/Sandbox or being able to use Word would not work for me.

5. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Jim,

With Sandboxie you will have no Problem surfing sandboxed,
    while working on a document outside the sandbox.
    You choose what is sandboxed.

As far a VirtualBox,thank of it as another computer.
    Unless you deliberately clear it back to default,or to a saved snap shot,you can reboot it,and everything is saved just like your regular machine.

You can use Sandboxie with a AV,and could add it to the Avast!/OnlineArmour setup Kees1958 spoke about.

rat

6. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

If You really want dont have any problems with your computer in my opinion the best will be HIPS like DefenseWall, virtualization like free Returnil or Sandboxie. And of course antivirus like Avast, Avira, Comodo will be enough. But if You a paranoid or not advanced user You always can install a Antilogger, or something like this. And on demand scanners like Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes. I think thats a good set.

7. Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful Registered Member

I used online armor and avast together for a long time. They didn't like each other by default.
    Returnil and sandboxie are a powerful combo when paired. Zero popups set and forget security! I set my parents up with this combo and they love it cause of it's ease of use.
    Right now I run Geswall with A2 and Malwarebytes as my on demand scanners. With no problems.

BTW Avast and online armor have there own sandbox programs built in

8. cancelx

Mr W.... you dont use a free-standing Firewall? Are you using GesWall as the firewall?

9. Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful Registered Member

I really don't see a need for a software firewall. At least on my home network. I use a hardware firewall and XP firewall. On my laptop that I travel with I still use Online Armor.

10. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Mr Wonderfull,I agree.

I have used Kerio 2.1.5 mostly to lock down a few applications,while
    I used ShadowDefender,that did not have an anti-executable.

Now that I am with Returnil again,that does have that functionality,I will
    probably uninstall Kerio,and rely on my NAT router.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.