Need alternative WebRTC Block no longer works...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cooperb21, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Yesterday i have installed 43 Canary build, unfortunately again tired of.

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I found an FTP repository for Google developers that has no password/login, and has EVERY SINGLE VERSION of Chrome ever developed. Again, I will post it tonight, it's an amazing find that took some digging on my part. :isay:

3. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Ok, some test results using a windows 7 test machine with F-Secure Fredome VPN clint installed(OpenVPN based). Tested using Browswerleaks.com WebRTC test.

Script blocking disables WebRTC completely in all browsers. With Javascript enabled,

Firefox: Gives local LAN IP and one unknown and unexplained IP. Doesn't get around VPN tunnel and give router WAN IP. Easily disabled using standard fix enumerated at the bottom of test results page.

Seamonkey: Same results. Standard Firefox fix works in Seamonkey as well.

Opera 25(Chromium Blink): WebRTC is enabled but can't get local IPs, just audio device ID. Doesn't get around VPN tunnel. No way to disable WebRTC.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

5. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

https://omahaproxy.appspot.com/

Along with Mayahana's link, the link above is extremely beneficial for referencing revision numbers to released versions and more.

6. WildByDesign

Google STUN server list:
    Code:
    stun:stun.l.google.com:19302
    stun:stun1.l.google.com:19302
    stun:stun2.l.google.com:19302
    stun:stun3.l.google.com:19302
    stun:stun4.l.google.com:19302

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

That's port 19302, and it looks like Google is the primary user of port 19302.

So blocking that would block Google's stun calls, but still not fix RTC NAT traverse, because Chrome is allowing traversal of NAT by force via the internal Stun Protocol.

8. MisterB

I would still block them. The port would be blocked by default in my router and I would block the domains in my hosts file and in my router.

9. WildByDesign

Test is no longer showing my Local IP. This is an important fix particularly for VPN users.

This involved:

- installing latest Dev channel build - currently 42.0.2311.15 dev-m (64-bit) http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel
    - follow instructions here exactly: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=333752#c67

Or wait until Chrome 42 makes it to Stable, but even then editing Preferences file manually will be necessary. Although surely by that time there will be updated extensions to block WebRTC. I should point out, though, that the method above doesn't block WebRTC, simply prevents IP leakage. I use this method together with WebRTC Block extension still because I believe it still has some benefits.

EDIT: WebRTC extension still disables WebRTC, Device Enumeration, etc. It just didn't prevent IP leak using method from https://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/. So I think using the WebRTC Block extension is still very much useful in conjunction with the manual fix above.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  10. Rules

Rules Registered Member

This forces all WebRTC connections to only use server-reflexive and relay ICE candidates, and only on the default IP route. While this may cause a QoS hit (two users behind NAT can no longer keep their traffic internal to the NAT), it does allow the issue mentioned here to be fully addressed without disabling WebRTC altogether.

Rules.

11. 142395

142395 Guest

Thanks WildByDesign for your effort and info about the workaround!
    Also, I noticed Chrome tried to connect to stun.services.mozilla.com:3478

12. WildByDesign

My pleasure, Yuki. I am a firm believer in giving the user granular control over options for users who are more advanced. And WebRTC is something that I strongly believe should have a way to disable it, whether in chrome://flags or elsewhere.

Correct, in that particular test from OP that site is specifically telling Chromium browsers to utilize Mozilla's STUN server for bypass to get IP.

Code:
            //firefox already has a default stun server in about:config
            //    media.peerconnection.default_iceservers =
            //    [{"url": "stun:stun.services.mozilla.com"}]
            var servers = undefined;

//add same stun server for chrome
            if(useWebKit)
                servers = {iceServers: [{urls: "stun:stun.services.mozilla.com"}]};

13. Darkblade

Darkblade Registered Member

Hi Mister B

Sorry for the Newbie query:

By Script blocking in FF do you mean something like No Script? I use it but accd to : http://ipleak.net/ there is still a Web RTC leak but this test: https://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/ shows its blocked.... BTW disabling Javascript in Chrome did block WebRTC.

What script blocker did you use on Chrome w/o disabling Javascript but that blocks WebRTC?

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

15. MisterB

I don't use Chrome at all but I have been testing the new Chromium based Opera with a script blocker that is available for Chrome called simply Script Blocker. I've found it to be acceptable but not as good as Noscript or Scriptkeeper for the older Opera Presto.

I've posted quite a bit about javascript. I see it as one of the biggest security issue these days and a script blocker that whitelists is an essential item these days if you care about privacy and security. WebRTC, from the tests I've done, can't function at all without scripting.

16. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

This is strange.
    I am on Chrome (current Stable) and made a couple of tests, always conencted with VPN.
    Ipleak.net showed by IP leaking. I did disable all scripts with uMatrix on Ipleak.net and the WebRTC leak was gone (actually I think because Ipleak could not run the script itself).

Then I went to https://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/ and tested again. WebRTC leak was there.
    But the problem was that uMatrix did not detect any javascript, so I could not block it.
    So, I disabled Javascript from Settings. Run the test again.
    Then, it was not consistent. Refreshing the page showed leaking and not leaking. Strange.

17. ohgood

ohgood Registered Member

18. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Is there still no way to block WebRTC on Chrome? o_O

19. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If you are concerned about WebRTC leaking your IP address you can use uBlock Origin to block it. For other purposes I don't know any other extension.

20. ance

uBlock Origin doesn't block WebRTC on Chrome, I think it's due to technical limitations in Chrome.

21. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Hm I didn't know that. All IP leak tests that are using WebRTC fail when that option in uBlock Origin is enabled and work OK when it's not. It might be efficient only when it comes to IP leaks?

22. ance

I tried it with Chrome, real IP visible even if "Block WebRTC" is enabled. :doubt: No problems with Firefox, hm.

23. WildByDesign

24. itman

itman Registered Member

I just tried this: https://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/ on my WIN 7, IE11 build and all addresses were blank. Suspect Eset's Smart Security IDS blocks any local IP address leakage. Or IE's physical address block protection really works.

25. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I doubt IE11 supports WebRTC. Microsoft was developing their own competing version of WebRTC, thought I think they caved and are supporting it in Edge, maybe not.

Regarding Chrome, the WebRTC Network Limiter extension works successfully.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.