Need Alternative to Prevx2

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by profhsg, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

As explained in posts in this forum and at Castle Cops, a number of us registered users of Prevx2 have been unable to update, then after trying to reinstall the program have been unable to do so, leaving us without the program. I read in another thread in this forum that Prevx will have an update out in DAYS to take care of the problem. Given how unsuccessful Prevx support has been in helping me resolve the problem, I'm not holding my breath.

What I need is a program which pretty much does the same thing as Prevx2. I need it both for my computer and for the computers of the other members of my family. I'm willing to tolerate and can somewhat deal with a whole bunch of pop ups, so maybe something like Safety System Monitor will do. The rest of my family wouldn't have a clue what to do, so they need a set and forget program like Prevx. For me one obvious choice is out. Online Armour won't work with a program that I absolutely love, AdMuncher. It might be OK for my wife and kids' computers because they don't use AdMuncher. In any event, I'm open to suggestions for my computer and my family's computers.

Thanks in advance.

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@profhsg
    Dont give up on Px just yet ;) They usually deliver on promises.

What else do you have on board security wise.
    What OS?
    Browser?

Heh: ready for hundreds of advices? ;)

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

A-squared with its IDS and a free AV like Avira or Avast. A-squared has pop ups that are very newbie friendly. I don't see any hooks for A-squared like I did with Prevx so I don't think it is as strong. I'm using Avira, A-squared and OA2. It's probably overkill especially since I'm also using Sandboxie.

When I uninstalled Prevx2, I did it in safe mode and made sure its 2 processes weren't running before I uninstalled it. It actually uninstalled very cleanly for me. I wish they would get it working well before too many people lose faith in their program.

Why don't you trade AdMucher for Online-Armor :D Seriously though, I'm using Firefox with NoScript and Adblock Plus and I don't see many if any ads and NO popups. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edit: I want to make it clear that I didn't uninstall Prevx2 because of problems, I tried it for a month because I was curious about it. It worked fairly well for me.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ThreatFire is fairly quiet.

5. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Profhsg,

What steps did you take to update to build 86? Have you seen:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=184319 See post #10 how i successfully updated. Also PatG (same thread) heard from Px support a fix is coming soon.

Take Care
    Rico

Alternatives I would look at are: Online Armour, Blink e eye

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I would recommend Online Armor 2.0 as well. You can go download a full 30 day trial version.

dja2k

8. profhsg

Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided to go with Online Armor. (A special thanks to Inner Peace who got me to look at Adblock Plus--it's now almost as effective as Admuncher). For my machine the combination of Online Armor, A2 (paid) and good old NOD32 should be a reasonable setup. For my family's computers, the same combination with Counterspy (paid version) instead of the A2 should give them reasonable security without too many calls to me asking me what a particular pop up means and what they should do.

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Reasonable setup with Online Armor, A2 with IDS and NOD32? I would call that a digital Fort Knox :thumb:

Why change CounterSpy for A2. A2's IDS with Intelligent False Positive Reduction provides the lowest amount of pop-ups I have ever expierenced. When it fires a pop-up it gives a clear explanation. By disallowing your family members to change the IDS program rules permanently (no remember option), they have little chance of 'shooting themselves in the foot' (especially with AO providing Anti Executable protection).

10. profhsg

Why substitute Counterspy for A2? Very simple. I have a single subscription to A2 and a 3 user license for Counterspy. I didn't feel like springing for more licenses for A2.

11. Doc Serenity

Doc Serenity Registered Member

I went through a lot of different programs after finally giving up on Prevx.
    Using OA2 and don't see me going any where else.
    Enjoy.

12. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Your welcome, I think you'll be happy with OA2. Mike and the team seem to be working hard on improving OA and they have excellent support. I think Kees1958 is right, you have a "digital Fort Knox" :) .

Cheers, innerpeace

13. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

well i got high hopes for PrevX2 but after my trial got ceased by false positives
    and even they promised that if false positive is found then software returns back to 'trial' mode

well not happened, unable to test new versions to see what and if changed ...

i don't care anymore ...

OA, CF and others seems to be faster progressing toward what i need ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.