Need all in one free monitoring utility

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What free software do u recomend to monitor various OS values in real time, like CPU usage, disk usage, physical memory, virtual memory/ page file use, CPU and HD temps etc. I need an all in one utility.

Thanks

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

That i'm aware of, What's Running, Process Explorer and DTASKMANAGER.
    edit: and Process Viewer for Windows
    I'd like to know alternatives too.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What,s running and process explorer are more of an advanced task manager, surely not what I am looking for.
    What about Everest home? There is a freeware version.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Yes, but its updated version is paid, you can try PC Wizard (by CPUID).
    SIW is portable all in one app, displays soft, network and hardware info.
    But, I do not know a monitoring utility, which would display it in realtime.

5. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I have a question for you...why would one want to do this? I ma not judging, just curious. I never monitor CPU usage and processes unless my PC is acting strange.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

PC Wizard is very good:thumb:
    I uninstalled it previously merely because i didn't know what to do with it, but it has many uses.
    TheTOM_SK: concerning Belarc Advisor's features, won't PC Wizard do all that too?

Aigle: from your feature request, i figured (wrong) that you were after What's Running in 2010:D
    So i suggested taking a peak at DTASKMANAGER, because i'm curious of what others think of it. Sorry, selfish reasons...

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well, Belarc has also the ability to detect missing updates, bad security settings and etc.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

There was something named like SysClock? I am not sure, with lot of skins for it but I can,t remember now its exact name and can,t find by google.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

could it be sysmetrix?

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Oh Yess.... Same I mean.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am just in the habit of checking these things periodically, may be just a habit but some times it,s useful too.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

lol!
    I may try it but later. I just want some time off my PC. I am really a bit addict of trying software.

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

http://www.statbar.nl/ - People tend to underestimate the value of programs like StatBar, but it doesn't take long (using it) before computing without it is like driving without a dashboard.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just checked its site. I don,t think I will use it. Much better options are APT by DCS and SPT by syssafety.

15. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Statbar is a nice program, to bad it doesnt seem to be developed any more.
    Another one is Winbar that I use (which also is very slow on development) Works well on Vista though.
    I like these two coz they also have program launchers integrated. The only thing I miss in Statbar is it doesnt show the IP.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried almost all of above.

SysInfo
    PC Wizard
    Everest Home last free version
    SysMetrix
    FreeMeter
    WinBar
    StatBar

Finally I came back to widget aproach. Yahoo widgets for CPU, Memory, Virtual Memory, Battery etc, all on desktop in real time, with different colors and a lot more customorization as well. ATM it,s sufficient for me.

Thanks for all the replies.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      16.9 KB
      Views:
  17. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

Start > Run > Perfmon.msc :p

its important to master the basics before moving on

Then build your own with Speedfan and Samurize (both freeware)

http://i14.tinypic.com/404kmx3.jpg
    click to enlarge
    left edge, pretty simple temp w\ CPU% and Memory%
    left edge is 30C, right edge which you sort of just get since the CPU graph is the same overall size is 50C
    of course you could build an actual graph if you wanted

You pretty much have total control of the graphics in Samurize
    and many of the configs\graphics\scripts are shared by the membership for download
    (one of the most active communities, with a superior design interface for self development)
    plus 3rd party integration with Winamp for instance
    tons of scripts to integrate weather, TV listings, RSS feeds you name it
    its a widget engine on of the better ones especially when it comes to self development, graphics and help with porting a different widget to it.

But back to the Basics
    (the remainder of my cut and paste of why this widget engine is really the one you want, in bold ;) )

The same for voltages off Speedfan
    I have a monitor that is graphic with the background\graph set to the minimum and maximum values of the 5% allowable range
    (for the graph, actual voltage is also given, but its nice to have an immediate visual reference as to how far off that is)

3.14 > 3.47
    4.75 > 5.25
    11.40 > 12.60

here is a closeup of a not particularly good PSU it should be dead in the center
    (of course there is little to no load on the +3.3V \ +5V which are generally a combined rail thats stepped down for +3.3V )

http://i9.tinypic.com/43md3br.png

You can also do any native performance monitors (like the CPU, but anything listed in perfmon too. Start > run > perfmon.msc > help) the great advantage here is that you can make individual monitors then set their sample rates in the project options (upper right tab in the samurize configuration editor)

Then you use Samurize instance manager to run however many individual or grouped monitors you want, but unlike a native performance monitor which is logged you can toggle them on and off with a single click on that instance's tray icon.

So you have both individual control limiting overhead incurred as well as sample control because you don't really need to see how much HDD space is left on a given partition every few microseconds :p
    save your overhead "budget" for logging security ;)

having your monitors right on the desktop also allows you to keep better track of what usage pattern is causing the performance hits, especially useful with CPU\memory\pagefile tuning and recognizing thrashing

PS there are also a ton of scripts for Samurize, from weather and whats paying on TV to plugins for Winamp or QCD and beyond (remotely monitoring a server for instance), and if you like that floating menu its called MenuApp (W2K\XP) also freeware basically shortcut scripting

http://www.samurize.com/modules/sections/
    http://www.samurize.com/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=3
    http://www.samurize.com/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2
    http://www.samurize.com/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1
    http://www.samurize.com/modules/ipboard/

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.