Need advise re: my personal FDISR set-up

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by fce, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services / Volume Shadow Copy = Manual

Change back to vss and try again.

2. fce

fce Registered Member

stapp, Erik....do i need to disable it? VSS start up type is Manual same with Microsoft Shadow copy

3. fce

fce Registered Member

i already try my best guys, i think my new computer dont like FDISR.

back to option 1.....either ATI10 or Rollback Rx

4. ErikAlbert

No the good setting = manual, that is also the default setting after installing Windows.
    Nothing seems to work and that's a pity.
    Only support can help you now.

5. ErikAlbert

You certainly need an Image Backup Software, like ATI. That is a MUST.
    Never work with a computer without backup.
    FDISR and/or RollbackRx is LUXURY, it's easy to have but you don't really need it.

FDISR or RollbackRx is NOT a replacement for Image Backup software.

6. fce

fce Registered Member

yeah thats why im interested with FDISR or any software that do the same as windows system restore....but of course more improve.

im looking now for Rollback Rx

7. ErikAlbert

Keep in mind that RollbackRx is not discussed here.
    RollbackRx is for the forum "Software & Services" otherwise we get troubles with the moderators.

8. fce

fce Registered Member

oopss. sorry.

i'll created thread in that forum hope you still help me even though you guys hate rollback rx :)

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HI Fce

You should definitely contact support thru the vendor you got FDISR from. THey will work with you.

10. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Forgot to ask if you've disabled Microsoft backup prior to installing FDISR? I disabled and deleted all MS restore points prior to installing FDISR on xp. I'd try using RSS before giving up hope. Their might be another program you are unaware of that is fighting FDISR for use of VSS, or leaves VSS in a bad state. You can see all the VSS writers on a computer by typing in "vssadmin" in a dos box without the quotes.

11. fce

fce Registered Member

Ticket #: 4073-4967148
    Date Created: 8/22/2007 11:55 AM PDT
    Date Updated: 8/22/2007 11:55 AM PDT

i give this link. hope they will reply. btw, the vendor is horizon

12. Peter2150

Hi FCE

Just in case, note that a link pointing to this thread is not really meaningfull. You, I hope, spelled out the problem in detail in your ticket. Most of the support folks won't take the time to check out a link and wade thru a forum thread.

Pete

13. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

That's clever, I really should learn more about DOS, some clever features.

14. fce

fce Registered Member

anyway i informed them the problem, its up to them if they want to check this link.

@horus...i try RSS and its not working also. what will i do with the "vssadmin", do i need to disable/enable anything?

15. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

"vssadmin list writers" will show you if their state is stable or not.

"vssadmin list providers" will show that microsoft software shadow copy provider 1.0 as the provider. version 1.0.0.7 should be the one listed for windows xp. If you have more providers I suppose they'd show up here. Most notably you'll probably see shadowprotect's vss engine listed here too.

You need to get ahold of forum poster "grnxnm" since he seems to be well versed in the use of VSS and shadow protect. See here.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1001311&highlight=volume shadow service#post1001311

16. Peter2150

I don't think at this point it's a vss conflict. That was a problem before. Once I get the vista compatible copy of SP Desktop V3 loaded I will make a new vista snapshot and play a bit.

I think this may well be a vista problem.

17. ErikAlbert

That's why I don't want winVISTA on my computer, such new OS causes ALWAYS problems. When my new computer is worned out, most bugs of winVISTA will be fixed. After all it's just an OS, I don't work with an OS, I work with application softwares.

18. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

1. Uninstall bloatware (~5program)
    2. Install CCLEANER (to clean registry after uninstalling bloatware)
    3. Uninstall CCLEANER after cleaning registry (since its not advisable to clean registry when FDISR is installed)
    4. Turn off system restore (save more HDD space, since FDISR will do the work)
    5. Install FDISR

Lemme comment on this:

I say, when you get your laptop, the first thing to do is format it- ask around if you dont trust me.

Install your operating system

Get all your windows updates, and add whatever system maintenance programs you want, and do base level tweaks- let this be your base setup, and make an archive of it.

Copy from that archive and use it for your general useage snapshot- you dont need to uninstall c cleaner, its not gonna hurt your first defense, I dont know why no ones told you that.

Make an archive of the second snapshot also, and keep them updated regularly, either manually or by schedule.

The rest you'll eventually figure out on your own....

19. fce

fce Registered Member

yup i do clean install. but FDISR is not happy with my Vista Premium.

i hope you guys visit this thread to help me re: Rollback Rx :ninja:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=183386

20. Peter2150

Quick note on registry cleaners. I am currently using Regsupreme Pro, and I always do a normal(as opposed to aggressive) scan, then I select everything, and chose Fix (as opposed to remove) This lets the program fix what it can and remove what it can't fix. I've never had a problem with FDISR doing this.

Testing other cleaners has proved to be another story.

Pete

21. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Totally agree with this, there is nothing wrong with cleaning the registry with fd-isr insatlled, however, this presumes that when you are cleaning the registry you know what you are removing, much like the fad of "optimizing" windows by turning off/disabling services, perfectly fine as long as you know what you are disabling. If you do not know what you are cleaning or disabling then you are likely to end up with more problems than benefits.

22. fce

fce Registered Member

OMG! After uninstalling Intel Turbo Memory....FDISR is now working with my Vista :D

23. Peter2150

Good!

24. ErikAlbert

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  25. fce

fce Registered Member

erik,

yes thats the 1gb turbo memory i used for my laptop.

I only assumed that its causing the problem (means only myself) because after i removed the device i can run FDISR and create a snapshot

but after playing with FDISR i got this static error. i change to VSS to RSS still not working. i disable my AV still not working. so i just use Rollback Rx to restore my system. :doubt:

I send log file to Horizon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.