Need advise re: my personal FDISR set-up

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by fce, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

i disable NOD32, same result.

anymore guys how can i solve that problem?

from FDISR event log...
    8/22/2007 00:35 0010 FirstDefense-ISR Service [Server Version 3.20.202] started
    8/22/2007 00:35 0084 Pre-boot Check ... OK
    8/22/2007 00:36 5060 Anchored files set to: C:\Users\FCE\Documents
    8/22/2007 00:37 4510 Snapshot "Rollback Snapshot" created
    8/22/2007 00:37 1000 CMD> COPY "Primary Snapshot" "Rollback Snapshot" EXCLUDE *.tmp
    8/22/2007 00:37 1032 Copying snapshot "Primary Snapshot" to "Rollback Snapshot"
    8/22/2007 00:39 1117 The Copy Engine unexpectedly terminated.

Windows report....
    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: ISRCopy.exe
    Application Version: 3.20.0.202
    Application Timestamp: 466ac73b
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
    Exception Code: c00000fd
    Exception Offset: 000447f2
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0260
    Additional Information 2: e040a14504aad5908d368c25bf412c0d
    Additional Information 3: 1766
    Additional Information 4: b6ed57e43657e34e29f3fc89046cf260

Files that help describe the problem

2. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Tell us what software you do have running besides just windows and FDISR? Make sure you are disconnected from the internet while making a snapshot. Also don't have encrypted data. Tell us what folders you have anchored? Also if you are doing this on vista you might want to check out your UAC settings.

3. fce

fce Registered Member

i didn't know that FDISR is very sensitive program :)

i just uninstall all the bloatware. When i got that error message i don't have security software installed except windows firewall.

with that event log i posted, can we find who's the culprit?

4. Horus37

I disable all my AV security software and I also shut down my comodo firewall "protect registry settings" and that is all I do and it gives me perfect snapshots.

5. Horus37

I'd wait till peter looked at it but the software support people from your vendor will know exactly what it is.

With installing and then uninstalling all that bloatware you might have caused yourself problems unrelated to FDISR.

FDISR needs a quiet environment to make a snapshot -Don't work on something on your computer or have a misc. program running that shouldn't be while making a snapshot. But since your error is immediate from the start it's probably something obvious and simple however I'm hoping it's not because you uninstalled something that messed up your computer.

So you only have NOD 32 and FDISR and windows? I see more program icons on your desktop besides nod32. Do you have encrypted files?

Are you doing this on xp or vista? You can also look at your windows log files for errors outside of FDISR log files. Since you uninstalled so many programs you might want to see what the log files say under "administrative tools" in windows just so you don't start pulling your hair out. Just know that they have a few versions of the copy engine you can try out just in case. I'd wait till tech support looks at it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  6. fce

fce Registered Member

yes only that security software. I disable win defender.

i didn't use yet asus data security manager and i dont know how to disable it aside from uninstalling the program.

7. Horus37

It might be harder to pinpoint if you used ccleaner and cleaned up everything it said to clean up. I use ccleaner and don't follow it's suggested things to uninstall. I choose what I have ccleaner delete very carefully. Did you do any backups with ccleaner while deleting stuff with ccleaner? I know it gives the option to backup stuff before you go deleting things so.

However, since you computer seems new and you haven't used data sec manager yet then you probably don't have any data encrypted yet so that might not be what is doing it. I'd look for errors in your windows log file and also find out what software is running in the background that could be interfereing with FDISR. So far you added win defender and nod 32. Could there be more that you aren't aware of?

Look in the lower right coner of your screen and see what small software icons are running in the taskbar and maybe one of them is the culprit.

Tech suport will be interested in what you deleted and how you deleted it. Maybe you deleted a needed .dll file. Who knows but I'd wait till tech support is up tomorrow morning and send them an email and see what they say based on your log files both windows and fdisr.

One last thing I had to do was to lengthen the time I set for the screen saver and standby / hybernate to activate. I set my screen saver to 30 minutes. It usually takes about 7-12 minutes to make a snapshot.

8. fce

fce Registered Member

when i run CCLEANER, FDISR is not yet installed. i didn't save registry from CCleaner.

also i remove Norton using uninstaller and removal software kit from Norton.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

fce,
    I can't help you there, I know FDISR pretty good, but I can't fix technical problems. Maybe Peter knows, but I would certainly contact the support service.

The laptop was probably pre-installed with all kind of garbage.
    1. I would have zeroed my harddisk first to get rid of EVERYTHING, including the recovery partition [D:]. CCleaner and uninstalling Norton doesn't give you a guarantee that everything is gone. Only a zero tool like DBAN wipes everything.
    You don't need the laptop recovery cd/partition either, because your backup solution will do a much better job.
    2. Then install winVISTA and FDISR. I hope you have a "WinVISTA Installation CD" and then you have a properly installed laptop.
    3. Then create the secondary snapshot, to test the copy/update function.
    4. Then install non-security softwares and test the copy/update function again
    5. Then install security softwares one by one and test the copy/update function again, because I would like to know which security softwares cause copy/update errors.
    In other words you have to work systematically to nail possible problems.

Normally winVISTA shouldn't be a problem, but you never know for sure with a new OS.
    Years ago, I was an early user of Win2000pro and I had nothing but problems with softwares.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I used to disable any scanning software as it will try and scan every file FDISR copies. SLowdown problem. No longer an issue, as those programs are gone.

I would try an uninstall and then reinstall. If the error continues, then it may be a vista type problem that we XP folks don't see. That would be a support issue.

Pete

11. Peter2150

Hi Erik

You have to be careful with some lap tops about doing a wipe. I was going to do that with my new tablet Thinkpad, but then thought better of it. I did remove the "yellow brand" av, but a lot of the software they put on it, relates to the tablet, and new security chips, and I just decided maybe that wasn't so smart. Just be careful. Image first.

Pete

12. ErikAlbert

Oh, I thought that all that typical laptop stuff was included in winVISTA or any other Windows. Well, I have no experience with laptops, so I guess you are probably right about this. I would probably ask the vendor, if I can do this or not.

13. fce

fce Registered Member

alright guys, i do clean install WITHOUT anybloatware and anti virus.

same error.

First Defense ISR Copy Engine / VSS has stopped working

any idea? i think its not problem with my laptop maybe its the setting of FDISR need to change.....it's already clean install as in no software installed except OS.

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Perhaps Peter or Erik may suggest you give it a try using rss instead of vss.

Hopefully one of them will be along soon:)

15. ErikAlbert

fce,
    You can try VSS or RSS and see if there is an improvement.

Click on Start / Run

1. CMD + Enter (opens the DOS window)
    2. CD C:\$ISR\$APP\Setup + Enter
    3. ISRSetup –install –rss (or –vss) + Enter
    4. Close the DOS window
    5. re-boot

Try again.

16. fce

fce Registered Member

erik, what's the effect of that in my whole system if i run that? I might run FDISR with that setup but it might affect some of my software and application?

hope you will enlighten me.

17. ErikAlbert

IMO it only affects FDISR. All these instructions are for FDISR and you can switch back to VSS or RSS.

18. fce

fce Registered Member

then if i switch back, same problem?

i browse leapfrog post, i'm a little bit concern switching from VSS to RSS after reading this post. is it really big issue?

The reason for this migration is VSS has the added capability beyond RSS to coordinate with various application to initiate a pre-shadow request. This pre-shadow request will allow the specific applications to to flush buffers, perform record clean-ups, etc. Some the of the applications that directly take advantage of this are SQL Server, Exchange, Oracle products, Citrix, etc.

The RSS/VSS is only used as a mechanism to produce a copy/archive. The end result is exactly the same. VSS just adds a bit more functionality to our clients requiring these features.

19. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If it's of any help to you at all I use rss. It's very easy to change between the two without affecting your system.

It works better for me, with vss it was very slow.

20. ErikAlbert

If you don't want to try, that is OK with me.
    I tried both and switched back to VSS, because I didn't see any difference.
    It certainly has something to do with the function "copy/update" of FDISR, because I see VSS on the processing screen of copy/update.

You can't copy/update. Isn't it worth to try RSS ? If RSS doesn't work switch back to VSS and try copy/update again. Who knows it might work suddenly.
    If you don't trust the whole thing, contact the support and wait for an answer.

21. Peter2150

The vendors will all say no. They are clueless. I am not kidding.

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It may have also been an idea to check in services that the Volume Shadow Service and Microsoft Software shadow Copy Provider were not disabled before you try rss, just in case that's why it wouldn't copy.

23. ErikAlbert

I understand. Which vendors know the products they are selling nowadays. There are exceptions, but the majority is good in talking and selling and that's it.

24. fce

fce Registered Member

stapp, how to do that?

erik, i try RSS still the same problem.

thanks

25. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Do start - run - and type services.msc into the box and press ok.

you will then see the services which run on your computer and whether they are set to manual, disabled or automatic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.