Need advise re: my personal FDISR set-up

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by fce, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

Hi guys, i'm excited using FDISR in my new laptop (hopefully i will receive tomorrow) specially after reading Erik and other poster here at FDISR forum. Below is my plan cleaning/before installing FDISR/creating snapshot. Hope you can give me some advise if I'm wrong or need more improvements.

1. Uninstall bloatware (~5program)
    2. Install CCLEANER (to clean registry after uninstalling bloatware)
    3. Uninstall CCLEANER after cleaning registry (since its not advisable to clean registry when FDISR is installed)
    4. Turn off system restore (save more HDD space, since FDISR will do the work)
    5. Install FDISR

After installing FDISR, I'll create below snapshot.....

Snapshot-1 (Clean install Rollback booting): without the bloatware and clean registry.

Snapshot-2 (Work): Normal software/File/AV i used excluding gaming software

Snapshot-3 (Games): Anti Virus + Approved Games + New Games (Test)

Snapshot-4 (Games Archive): AV+Approved Games.

Snapshot-5 (Work Archive): Rollback of Snapshot 2

Btw my PC specs: Asus G1S A1 with 250GB (i think with C & D internal drive), 3GB Ram. Security software (my plan) is KAV7+Vista Firewall+Router Firewall.

Thanks in advance for your advise. :)

Update: Snapshot 4 & 5 change to Archive.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You could replace snapshots #4 and #5 with archives. So you will only need 3 snapshots.

3. fce

fce Registered Member

what's the advantage of using archives? sorry still no time browsing this forum re: using FDISR archives step-by-step. Appreciate if you can teach me how to do it.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I'm not a FD-ISR user (not yet :D) but here is my advice:
    You can export snapshots to archives in another partition/hard disk. The difference between an archive and a snapshot is that you can't boot to archives. In your case:
    - Snapshot #1: Rollback snapshot (Clean install Rollback as you called it): this is the always-booting snapshot. From here you can fix issues in all snapshots if they become unbootable.
    - Snapshot #2: Work snapshot. When you finish building it, export it to an archive called Work archive.
    - Snapshot #3: Gaming snapshot: When you finish building it, export it to an archive called Gaming archive.
    Suppose that you install a game and later you decide to delete it. You boot to Snapshot #1 and do a copy/update from Gaming archive (source) to Gaming snapshot (destine). The game is gone.
    Suppose that a Microsoft patch screws your Work snapshot. You boot to Snapshot #1 and do a copy/update from Work archive (source) to Work snapshot (destine). Problem solved.
    Wait for Erik, Peter and other advanced FD-ISR users :)

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The way I'd do what you are trying to do is this.

Install FDISR while system is pristine and clean. This will be your primary snapshot.

Then immmediately make two copies. A secondary(rollback) and a third games.

Then make archives(off disk) of all three.

Use the primary for your working stuff, and keep the archive current. Then if you don't like something you've installed you can restore from the archive of the primary. This allows you to work, but you can try stuff here, and easily undo it.

Leave your secondary alone. Install your games in the third(games) snapshot. Keep the archive of games current. Want to try a new game. Update the archive and install the new game. Don't like it restore from the games archive to the games snapshot.

You will boot to the secondary(rollback) anytime you want to restore from either archive to snapshot. Also anytime you want to wipe either the primary or games and start over you can do this from the secondary(rollback)

One last strong word of advice. When ever you do a copy/update. Select the source, and then the target. The next screen allows you to check your choice before continuing. Make it a habit of sitting back hands off the mouse or keyboard and really check what you've selected. Then when satisfied let her rip. This can save you from making a big mistake.

Pete

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

fce,
    First you have to do this one time :
    1. Open FDISR.
    2. Click on Tools.
    3. Click on Options.
    4. Click on tab "Archives"
    5. Mark "Specify alternate archive location"
    6. With the button "Change" you can browse to a location, where your archives need to be stored."
    7. Click OK.
    After this, FDISR knows where your archives will be stored and you can see these archives on the main screen of FDISR under "Archived Snapshots".
    Each created archive by you, will be visible and preceeded by a camera-icon.

Creating an archive is a simple copy/update.
    Copy/update from snapshot to <new archive>
    and you can do this for each existing snapshot. :)

I have two snapshots and two archives with these names :
    1. "WS1 Off-line" ---> "AS1 Off-line"
    2. "WS2 On-line" ---> "AS2 On-line"

WS = Work Snapshot
    AS = Archive Snapshot
    and I like to number my snapshots and archives.

7. fce

fce Registered Member

If I want to restore my Primary Snapshot I have two option to restore it, by using Secondary snapshot (required booting) and using Primary Archives? Is that correct?

If I want a secondary snapshot for my games (same as my plan in my first post), what’s the problem or advantage compare to games archive as you propose?

Ok I try FDISR in my ooollllddd laptop but since my HD is limited I just check its tab and some feature WITHOUT running copy/update.

When I do or click copy/update it shows me Source snapshot box and the I can select either Primary (with green arrow) and Secondary snapshot (with question mark arrow)…..i guess source you referring is the Primary snapshot (with the green arrow)?...then the next page it give me Destination Snapshot and only Secondary snapshot is there which represent that target.

If I want to copy my Rollback snapshot to Primary Snapshot (with problems)….Rollback snapshot is my Source and Primary Snapshot is my Target (to be erase). Is that correct?

8. fce

fce Registered Member

I’m not sure if I can select my “D” internal HD in my new laptop(I’ll check it tomorrow when I receive my laptop) but when I try to select “C” internal HD it wont allow me to select “C” hard disk. Thus it means that I can select only external HD (and D internal hard disk)?

Also is it advisable to buy external hard disk for my archives? Any suggestion what is the most handy external hard disk?

In other thread, I don’t understand why you suggest the need of program same as Acronis True Image (or equal) to combine with FDISR? I don’t think its necessary, IMO. Can you share your experience why is it needed?

How about my personal file (as in big files of picture, videos, etc.)....is it advisable to use FDISR or just save it to DVD and EXCLUDE my personal file during copy/update?....or leave it in my internal "D" hard disk and exclude it during copy/update? Please give me some advise so that i can save a lot of space for my big files.

Last but not the list, when my program is corrupted I can use FDISR efficiently. But if my PC is hacked….can FDISR help me with that problem?

9. Peter2150

Yes that is correct. But if your Primary would be your working snapshot, and might have lots of stuff in it. So would your Primary Archive. Whereas the Secondary snapshot, would be your clean one, that you want to keep clean.

Actually I was suggesting both a snapshot and archive. That way you only need one snapshot for games. When you want to try a new one, you first update the archive from the snapshot. Then install new game. If you like it and want to keep it great. If not, you boot to secondary and restore archive games to snapshot games. Poof, new game is gone.

Yes. Except target isn't really erased. It is made identical to source.

Re the second post.

Your new machine might have two user partitions, or it might have one, and the second one is the "hidden" partition manufactures use for their recovery stuff. You will have to wait and see.

Why A disk imaging program. Well lets assume you have a total disk failure. Can FDISr help you there. Yes if you are prepared. You have to have a way to get XP or Vista back on the disk so you can boot. Then you can install FDISR, and restore from those archives, assuming they aren't on the same disk in another partition. The advantage of imaging is speed.

Should you get another external drive. My unqualified answer is yes. I have had good luck with Western Digital and Lacie. The lacie seem faster.

Hope all this helps

Pete

10. ErikAlbert

fce,
    ISR = Immediate System Recovery, not Immediate Data Recovery.

SYSTEM = Windows + Applications

FDISR is created to protect your SYSTEM in the first place, not your DATA.

In Windows there is only ONE place to store DATA and that is the folder "My Documents" and that folder has subfolders to separate different files from one another, like My PDF-files, My Spreadsheets, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, etc. etc. etc.

Your SYSTEM grows only, when you install new applications, including games.
    Your DATA grows every day and is often much larger, than your SYSTEM.

After installing FDISR, you have to anchor "My Documents", otherwise your DATA is included in EACH snapshot. That is a big waste of space.
    Once you anchor "My Documents", each snapshot will contain only SYSTEM-objects. and no data.

The best way to protect snapshots are archives, which have to be stored on another harddisk.
    You can't store them on the same harddisk, because when your harddisk crashes, your archives are also GONE.
    I suppose that your [D:] is not a second harddisk, but some kind of recovery partition.
    So you have only one harddisk [C:] = 250gb.
    Very important : ask for a Windows Installation CD, not just a recovery cd.

You need an external harddisk to store archives and you also will need the same external harddisk for storing IMAGES, created by your Image Backup Software.
    So you better buy an external harddisk of 500gb, because you have only one internal harddisk.
    Don't buy your external harddisk too small, because it's better to have some elbowroom.

Regarding creating snapshots and archives.
    Each snapshot has Windows.
    After removing the bloatware, you install Windows + FDISR.
    FDISR will create the Primary Snapshot and you create the Secondary Snapshot.If I was you I would create an archive of the Primary Snapshot, because it is interesting to have an archive of Windows only, in order to create new snapshots for a different purpose.
    This is not your real primary archive, but an archive you keep aside, in case you need it. Call it WinVISTA.
    If you archive WinVISTA make sure it is ACTIVATED, because M$ is counting your activations and there is a LIMIT.

You install all the softwares you need in the primary snapshot. Once everything is installed you create an archive of the primary.

You install all the games you need in the secondary snapshot. Once everything is installed you create an archive of the secondary.

If you need a third snapshot, copy/update from archive WinVISTA to <new snapshot>
    Install the software you need and create an archive of the third snapshot.

Etc. etc. etc. until you have all the snapshots you need.

As Peter already explained, you don't really need an extra snapshot to TEST games, you can remove the game, the way Peter explained.

Regarding graphical files, like photos, video.
    I don't have experience with photos, but I have alot of video.
    I decided to store all my movies on DVD, because that is a solution forever, because you can buy as many DVD's you want.
    If you store them on your harddisk, one day your harddisk will be full and then what ?

I hope this helps too. :D

11. ErikAlbert

fce,
    I hope you understand all this, if you don't I recommend you to start with the classic setup : one work and one rollback snapshot, just like everybody did.
    It takes some time to learn FDISR and all its possibilities and how to use it right and efficient according your personal needs. :)

12. Peter2150

For the sake of not confusing new users. You don't have to anchor My Documents. You may chose too. Depending on ones data, disk size, and usage requirements you might or might not want to anchor anything.

I just don't want someone to think they "have" to.

Pete

PS. I don't want this to sound critical. Eriks advice in this forum is way above 1st rate.

13. fce

fce Registered Member

I understand Erik. You're good teacher, same with Pete ;)
    I'll create Primary, Secondary (Bootable) and Games....after that I'll create archives for this 3 and temporary save it to my "C" harddisk (since I dont have yet external harddisk).

Pete, I will do anchoring of "My Documents" when i use FDISR, it will save me a lot of space. Don't worry if i have some problem I will post my problem here :)

Thanks guys.

14. fce

fce Registered Member

Pete/Erik, how you set-up your FDISR scheduler? Care to share your scheduling, I might get an idea also ;)

Btw, i will install NOD32 with Vista Firewall ON together with my (Netgear) Firewall Router. I hope FDISR together with that security combo will not slowing my system. :doubt:

15. Peter2150

I don't use the scheduler. I update everything manually.

16. ErikAlbert

I don't use schedules either, because there are only time-schedules, I need schedules on demand, started by myself, not on a specific hour.
    IMO schedules are the worst part of FDISR and that's why nobody uses them.
    Schedules are never a subject here, except new users mention them sometimes.

17. fce

fce Registered Member

guys just ordered 250gb external hard drive (erik, 500gb is too expensive)...i guess I'm ready for FDISR :)

hmmm...no comment re: my security combo. i guess you guys never use NOD32? what's your security software to protect your apps (specially FDISR)?

18. Peter2150

ROFL. You most eloquently stabbed that subject straight thru the heart.:D

19. ErikAlbert

I used NOD32 and KAV6 without problems, but I don't know if they cause problems during copy/update, because :
    1. I don't create much snapshots.
    2. I usually copy/update in my off-line snapshot, which has no security softwares.

20. fce

fce Registered Member

what do you mean by off-line snapshot? just plain bootable system with FDISR....no apps or AV?

21. ErikAlbert

In Windows you can disable your internet connection and that's what I did in my off-line snapshot.
    1. Click on Start-button
    2. Click on Control Panel
    3. Click on Network Connections
    And then you get a screen where you can disable your internet connection.

I like to work in a QUIET environment and I was sick and tired of getting disturbed by updating messages, security messages, etc. I need my CONCENTRATION to do my job.
    I use that off-line snapshot for many jobs.

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Personally its no hindrance to get awaked by messages,i used to have a nap after many hours of labor so i get up my toes once again,but serious my way of working demand to stay online.

23. fce

fce Registered Member

houston i have a problem :D

can't make secondary snapshot? see pics

Faulting application ISRCopy.exe version 3.20.0.202, time stamp 0x466ac73b, faulting module ntdll.dll version 6.0.6000.16........

Attached Files:

24. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Turn off all security software before making a snapshot. Also is that "ASUS data security" desktop icon indicate you have some sort of data encryption going on?

Plus my version 3.2 202 GUI doesn't look like yours does. I'm assuming it's because yours is a trial copy? My copy is not an updated copy from a previous version but an actual full install of the full product with a different face. Your's looks like it's got different graphics. Perhaps it's because it comes from a different vendor. I bought mine from Raxco.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  25. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

I run Nod32 and many other security softwares, and apart from Comodo Firewall needing a slight setting alteration, have never had any problems with Copy/Updates, or creating snapshots.
    It might not be the most advisable way to do it, but I never disable anything when using FDISR. Its THAT good...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.