Need advice on a Error 1402

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jpcummins, Apr 4, 2015.

1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I have Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP3, 32 bit system.

Yesterday when I clicked on the Microsoft FrontPage 2003 Icon I received the following:

1. An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Would you like to repair this feature now? (I clicked on yes)

2. Windows Installer attempted installing: Microsoft Office Front Page Feature.

3. Error 1402 Cannot open the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\xmlfile\ShellEx\IconHandler. Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact your Information Technology department for assistance.

I am the administrator so I should have sufficient permissions.

Other than again installing FrontPage 2003, if I can find the CD, is there a way to fix this problem?

As always I appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

2. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Do you have a restore point or backup image you could restore?

If not, you might locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\xmlfile\ShellEx\IconHandler in your registry and make sure it's there first. If it is, right-click the IconHandler key, then select "Permissions" from the menu. Have a look at the permissions in the dialog that opens and confirm that you have sufficient privileges. You might be listed twice, as administrator and also as user. Make sure they both have full control.

3. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

allizomeniz,

Thank you very much for replying to my post. I did as you suggested but it appears as though permissions are in effect; I am listed as both Owner and Administrator. Somewhere I am sure I have backups, finding them will be a major problem. Again, thanks for your reply.

John

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.