Need Action Plan for Sasser Removal Plus More

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by jvickers01, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvickers01

jvickers01 Registered Member

HELP!! I need an action plan for cleaning up my friend's computer. It's a bit challenging because she's not very computer savvy, she's several hundred miles away, she's on an older computer (it has a Cyrix MII), and to top it off she has dial-up. She's running on Windows XP.

I'm pretty sure she's got Sasser. Her system automatically reboots after displaying a message referring to C:Windows/System32/lsass.exe. She can briefly access the internet, but after a couple minutes she just gets the "Cannot find server or DNS Error". When you do a manual restart, a couple of programs don't shut down properly, namely HPCMPMGR.exe and explorer.exe. She also gets an LSA Shell error.

Since the file transfer rate on her dial-up is appalling at best, I want to be able to download directly to a floppy anything she'll need and send it to her, and it can't be anything I can't at least talk her through installing. I also need an antivirus recommendation. NAV won't install due to the Cyrix processor.

Any help/advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

go here to get stinger, sasser removal tool, will fit on floppy. stinger it is about 780kb. It is a good removal tool.

you might want to send her this small tool that works well. Windows worm door cleaner at this link it is about 54 kb

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.