Need a recommendation

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Mike2007x86, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike2007x86

Mike2007x86 Registered Member

Hello, I have a friend who is new to internet security. He needs a good firewall and a good antivirus system that is easy to use without alot of popups.

In the past he has had problems because he blocked certain applications from getting internet access. So far I have had him use Comodo, Outpost, KIS 6.0, and NOD32 so far.

All are great firewalls, but I had to uninstall them because something had been blocked which would not allow him to get online. I am looking for something safe and secure for a beginner.

Currently he is using XP SP2 built in firewall.

He just needs a good firewall for general use combined with a great antivirus that would be ideal for a beginner, who doesn't understand rule creation for security applications.

Thanks

2. besafe

besafe Registered Member

FW....Either go with Windows XP FW which isn't great or Zone Alrm Free which is better, but not stellar. You simply can't have a great FW without a lot of popups.

AV...You have a lot of choices here. Avira Antivir, AVAST, and AOL Active Virus Shield are 3 free great choices. Even AVG is OK. I don't reccomend NOD or KAV for newbies.

Have you tried Norton Internet Security 2007? This could be the all in one answer. It actually is very solid and not high on ssyem resources like in years past.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

NOD can be used for new users if you follow Blackspears settings which automate the operation. BUt F-Prot would be good also. One thing I would get though is a router to handle firewall needs. ZoneAlarm is a good firewall for new users.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

No pop-ups: Windows FW. Because it doesn't have application filtering. You can get FirePanelXP to monitor what's going on, ports open, etc.
    To have application filtering, Comodo, LookNStop, Kerio 4 (2.1.5 might look strange, and isn't supported, but is very good too, and freeware), Sygate, are very good.

With Comodo, if you want minimal pop-ups (minimal filtering/ basic control), you can choose to in the GUI. You disable things like Application Behavior Analysis. And set the alerts to low or very low. Freeware.

With LookNStop, you have two sets of rules for network control ("internet filtering"), and a little of your time to configure it if you want to. One time only.
    Then Application filtering is already basic by default, you're the one that chooses to refine the control or not. Payed, but it's one of the best, as Comodo IMO.

Kerio 4 is also logical, and easy to use with local networks (creating rules). I can't remember the details. Some advanced features are not present in the freeware version, and it nags you everytime to pay.

If he blocks svchost, and uses DHCP to obtain the IP, then he will lose conection with all these.
    Maybe XP's?

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Here's a recent post that would be a simple solution. It's a free McAfee deal with a firewall, virus scanner and anti-spyware. For a newbie, a "suite" type of product would be easy.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174289

For a simple and free individual security system, it would be hard to beat Avast home AV, Windows Defender, and Zone alarm. I have not tried ZA, but I understand it the easiest. Also, for a firewall, Comodo will have a new version 3 soon, and hopefully it will be easier with less popups than the last version.

Avast is a good, simple, solid AV and Windows Defender (Anti-spyware) default setting keeps it hidden. Use WD only if your friend is a safe surfer. You can also download many quality on demand AS programs such as SuperAntiSpyware, AVG AS and A-squared. For several months I ran Avast, Windows Defender and Comodo with no problems except Comodo's popups. I also use Firefox as a limited user with dropmyrights. I'm a fairly safe surfer though :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.