need a quick free tool to scan n clean for spyware

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fencing, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fencing

Fencing Registered Member

hi, i can't seem to start a thread in the relevant section so i've posted here.

i commonly use a netcafe which has spyware on every compputer.... i want to download something to clean things up for me real quick as soon as i start using a computer and then i can go n sign in to my online accounts...etc

note that i can't even restart else my online time will be lost, so i need something to detect and delete without needing a pc restart.

what recommendations to the experts and amateurs in this forum have? :ninja:

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Which sub forum were u trying to start a new thread in?

I moved this thread to an appropriate forum.

snowbound

4. Fencing

i tried in Browser Hijacks and Spyware Problems - as this is a spyware problem

anyway, thanks for the link i'll check it out :p

EDIT - it won't let me download from that link :(

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

As opposed to cleaning up someone elses` PCs\mess. (not sure if that would involve any legal ramifications...that would be for another thread). Do the netcafe terminals have USB ports available? You could try a USB thumb drive and a portable browser. Firefox or Opera both offer portable versions.

6. Fencing

i can use USB - but would that mean that the keylogger wouldn't detect my passwords?

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

That forum was used mainly for HijackThis log analysis and has been closed for some time now.

snowbound

9. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Just curious, how do you know a key logger is installed? If there is one, chances are it may have been installed by the cafe owner\operator(s). (that is where part of the legal issue comes in). There are key stroke scramblers available. For instance, http://www.qfxsoftware.com/ . I have not tried or tested any of them so can not speak to their effectiveness. Your best bet is just do not enter any personal info. into such machines. Maybe someone with far more knowledge will add some insight.

10. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Netcafe? A cybercafe you mean?

The security of the systems there should be the responsibility of the cafe owner, not the user.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, I am sure whatever u try U can,t get security and especially privacy in a cyber cafe. So if u really want it, forget about the cafe. Even the main cafe server can record everything on ur PC. Spywares/ asware/ Trojans/ keyloggers etc will come after that and still after that all other net threats.
    U can just make a scrap e-mail address for mail to use in cafe and don,t do anything personal there.

BTW here is Saudi Arabia I have seen almost all cafe using DeepFreeze so sometimes if I use a cafe I just reboot my PC to clear all personal data but even in this there is no privacy as long as u are using it.

12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Dr webs cureit is a free tool to scan for malware. If you are concerned about keyloggers you can try neo's safekeys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.