need a program for xp logon

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mantra, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i'm looking for a strong light program that protect my privacy with a logon password

the xp sp3 pro logon password is easily bypassed , with a livecd or other program

i 'm looking for a free or paid version , that protect the login of my pc
    i mean , a program that asks me a password to logon or to boot xp

thanks in advance

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

just as the xp logon can be bypassed so can other measures if whoever is allowed free access to computer. What computer do you have and did you check if some measures are already provided like Bios Power On password?

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks for the answer
    well i want to install a program in my desktop
    i guess there is a software more strong then the xp logon

4. Remouald

Remouald Registered Member

Would you consider encryption? If so then you can encrypt your system partition with a software like TrueCrypt and everytime you will boot you will have to enter a password (using a Pre-boot authentification menu).

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mantra

If they have access to the computer don't bother. I belong to a small non profit and they had an xp machine, that a members brother had been the "IT" guy on. Both the member and the brother left and forgot about the machine. I had several obsolete accounts, all password protected, and the logons and admin account were also secured.

Efforts to guess the passwords, and get hold of those folks proved impossible. I found a program(not from the dark side) that I could make a CD, boot from it, and just change the admin password. Then I booted into safe mode. Machine was mine again.

If you are worried about access of data, you can encrypt that, being aware if you lose the password your toast.

Pete

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes i thought
    but i would not like to encrypt ,by the way does it slow down the pc? because truecrypt has to decrpt on the fly

7. Remouald

Remouald Registered Member

My system drive partition (XP2) is encrypted and I don't notice any slowdown...

Please take note that if you use TrueCrypt with XP (like me) you cannot encrypt the whole hard drive, just your system partition. So if you have important data on another partition you will still be able to access it via a LiveCD, unless you encrypt the other partition(s) separately.

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks

i think i will not use truecrypt
    but does truecypt encrypt windows xp partition online?

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks

but is sad there is not a privacy software that guarantees a solid logon :thumbd:

hope 7 it's better

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you are trying to protect certain data that's one thing. Then you could use an external drive with a VM machine on it, and when not in use lock up the drive.

If you are trying to protect the whole machine your going to have to physically secure it.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.