Need a Good Router for Torrents

Discussion in 'hardware' started by dja2k, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

For those of you who do heavy torrent downloading, what router do you recommend that won't struggle with all the open connections. It has been really long since I've looked at routers and mine is just annoying when it overflows with open connections and kills the network which I then have to power-cycle it.

dja2k

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I've got an old Linksys that's been working for years. I recall one time early on that I had it croak under heavy downloading, but it turned out to just need a simple firmware flash. Never had an issue since. Are you wanting wireless or wired? Wired is becoming a pain in the behind to get your hands on.

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I have a network with 3 Linksys WRT54G's connected together all running the best DD-WRT firmware but the primary router dies because it can't handle the connections of 2+ downloads at a time.

dja2k

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Never had a problem with NETGEAR. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
  5. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Maybe this will help. -http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Router_Slowdown

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Just use a high end router from any company. I am using Linksys E3200 and it can handle multiple simultaneous download/uploads fine. A high end Netgear should be able to do the same.

7. Draytek routers are really good. Pick one up on eBay for cheaper than retail.

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

djak2k.

You need a good mix of CPU and memory.
    I run Tomato (due to superior QOS to DD-WRT) on my Netgear 3500L. I have 30Mb down on my connection and doing a plain ftp with QOS on and to a wifi client uses 40% CPU at full speed, its has plenty of memory to handle lots of torrent connections, running 300 active connections maxing my download speed uses around 80% cpu (again QOS on and to Wifi client).

To add some comparable metrics, the Linksys E3200 mentioned above has about twice the raw throughput as my router, so as long as it handles enough torrent connections for your internet bandwidth its also a good option.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view is a very good resource for comparing routers.

People who are recommending brands are not being helpful, as I've had Netgear, Buffalo, Linksys and Dlink that are not fast enough for my internet connection at various speeds as it has been upgraded.
    I have been through WRT54G, Buffalo 54g HP, Dlink Dir 615, 635 and most recently I had to replace the Dir 635 I had as it was not fast enough when I upgraded from 20mb to 30mb speeds that my 3500L can manage.

Really need to recommend specific models and state what speed torrent (and no connections) the router can manage as most brands have fast enough routers, but also (older) ones that are not).

Cheers, Nick

9. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I have a Linksys E4200 and it's perfect. Dual Channel router

I previously had a cheap Linksys E1000 and it was very good as well.

I have bad results with Belkin

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

With my WRT54GL, stock but latest firmware, I can max. the connection without problem, in this case 12Mbps downstream, and continue browsing without any apparent slowdown with 300-400 connections in the air. It gets a little tight but still doable at around 500 connections, and somewhat laggy at around 600 connections, say 5-6 concurrent torrents.

I have colleagues with the same router running on a 30Mbps line without problems. So I guess that most devices should work for you, but it depends on your bandwidth and concurrent connections.

Mrk

11. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Never responded back then but thanks for the feedback. I ended up getting 3 Netgear WNR3500v2 Refurbished routers from Ebay and flashed all with DD-WRT. Couldn't be happier and I don't have any problems with overloading them anymore. Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.