Need a good antivirus for network and protecting E-mail

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by infini, Mar 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infini

infini Registered Member

I have set up a small network and i am looking for an antivirus that can be used for client and server and will have very good protection for e-mail. Has anyone tried AVG Network Edition? I was thinking for Symantec Corporate but the client version doesn't update automatically even if i set it to scedgule and the updates when i manually update it are quite big in size comparing them with other antivirus programs. Is it true that F-prot doesn't have outlook protection?

2. izi

izi Registered Member

Hello!

Try NOD32 or KAV. NOD32 detect new viruses with advance heuristics (In IMON - pop3 protection or EMON for MAPI compatible email clients).
    If you want powerful protection against trojans then you shoud use KAV.

Izi

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

F-PROT will scan and kill any virus-laden files as they get to the computer, however it doesn't scan e-mail on-the-fly.

The client version of SAV will update automatically, however it has to be set up correctly. (Typically with the clients pointing to the server in a client-server setup.) The server needs to be set to use LiveUpdate--pointing to the internet--and the clients need to be set up in standalone, and then have a file called grc.dat copied from the server install to the client 8.x (or whatever version) sub-folder after the install.

You can accomplish this with a batch file, or using a SAV snap-in at the server you can manually join the clients to the server. (I'm assuming you have a domain set-up going, and a full enterprise version of SAV) :D

If it were me, I'd get the Administrative, or Enterprise Edition of NOD32, set it up on your server as a mirror, and point your clients to the mirror folder for updates--which schedule by default to check hourly, and are miniscule in size. NOD32 will also scan your Outlook stuff on-the-fly. There's no better e-mail protector than NOD32--although I admit my bias! ;)

Good luck!

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Our eTrust experience is quite good. There's a central signature distribution server and the clients can be configured to auto download the signatures from this server, thereby lowering the load on the internet gateway. The central admin function catches all alerts, so you're always informed.
    Besides, eTrust has adequate mailscanning function, and the licens comprises content inspection for your web traffic (scanning http communication) at the web proxy level.
    Since eTrust is a consistent 100%VB wildlist scoring tool, you could do worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.