Need a firewall with Profiles (mobile laptop)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Tadoussac, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

Until recently, my laptop (WinXP Pro - SP2) has been used exclusively behind a firewalled Linksys router. As an extra layer of protection, I installed a software firewall (Ghostwall) and configured a ruleset for this particular location.

Now I need to take the laptop "on the road", where I will connect at different wireless hotspots, or onto other ethernet connections.

I need a software firewall that will enable me to create several different location specific rulesets (profiles) and save them for future use. Unfortunately, Ghostwall doesn't seem to have this capability.

Any suggestions ?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u can try Outpost Firewall and just create new configurations for each location.

another choice would be looknstop but i dont know if u can create a blank new ruleset. u can alter an existing ruleset and save with a different name.

3. Tadoussac

Thanks ! Do you know if I can save the various configurations in Outpost ?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes u can.

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

You can do this with Jetico v2 also.
    Just open the the Jetico Config file (jpfConfig.xml) and copy/paste profile 'Optimal Protecion' <policy name="Optimal Protection" default="1">.....</policy>, give it a new name, without the default parameter. That's it.
    In the dropdown field of The Jetico GUI you can than easily select the profile u want and configure each one separatly.

I will do so for a second/third 'Optimal Protecion' policy when staying in Germany, USA or Sout America. Works like a charme.

6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

You can do an import/export rules with CHX-I if you use the same interface,but if you use wireless at hotspots and ethernet at home, chx-i uses different rules based on what network interface you are using. I just recommend this firewall since it has the best SPI imo out there for a free windows packet filter and it is also just as light or lighter than ghostwall and is only an inbound packet filter like ghostwall.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Jetico V1, you can have all profiles (policies) loaded (as many as you want), and just right click the specific policy required,..and apply.

8. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

NIS was the first firewall to add multi-profiles, what they referred to as Network Locations. The new implementation in NIS 2007 is much more cleaner.

9. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Policy Cloning will be a feature in Jetico v2 :thumb:

10. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

I have been looking at this problem as well as my children are going back to college and will be using their laptops via wireless occasionally. I needed something simple so I have decided on Prevx with Windows FW and and AntiVir.

So far this has seemed secure and simple to use.

11. Tadoussac

Thanks to everyone who responded with feedback and ideas. Here's my current thinking on this topic:

I was thinking of moving beyond a packet filter to a 2 way firewall (I started with Ghostwall), so I decided against CHX-I - which is also a packet filter.

I also decided against Jetico2, as I didn't want to play with a Beta firewall and was leaning toward freeware. This also eliminated Outpost (at least the new Outpost 4 beta).

I installed Jetico1. After some time reading and configuring (Great support right here in this forum !!), I configured Jetico for my homebase (which is wireless and behind a firewalled router). The problem is this - I don't have the time to play around with other configurations when I take my laptop on roadtrips. It's just not practical for me. Usually I need to connect quickly at a hotspot or onto a business client's network, and I need to be up and running immediately.

I am now using Comodo Firewall, and hoping that their "zone" concept (Add/Remove, Modify a zone) might be effective. I'll test this on my next roadtrip.

Failing that, my last resort is to follow the advice of Davidpr ... and use the XP2 firewall along with something like Prevx or Cyberhawk (and of course my AV). Pretty much ZERO configuration - and probably some security trade-off in exchange for convenience.

Thanks again folks !!

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

If using XP firewall,.. I personally would use Appdefend or, when out of beta SSM 2.2 as both, along with the system control, give control of applications access to the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.