Need a anti-keylogger

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by cba321, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

I need a (preferably free, either full or trial) anti-keylogger that can detect Spector Pro (detecting eblaster would be nice too).

Anyone got any ideas?:'(

2. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

You may want to try Malwarebytes its free to detect and remove malware/spyware,

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

And if that doesn't work try one of the many methods here,

To detect and remove Spector Pro

http://www.google.com/search?q=detect Spector Pro

To detect and remove eblaster

http://www.google.com/search?q=detect eblaster

Im sure you already read the thread 2 of the Best Antilogger Software's Available! so if you are infected Zemana Antilogger or Privacy Keyboard will stop keyloggers from logging your activities!

You may also want to use Returnil in the near future so if you do get infected your machine will be returned to its original state before it was infected with a simple restart of your machine!

Everything explained and download here

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It's not free and the trial isn't very effective (it claims to scan only 75% of the files on your system), but SpyCop is the only anti-keylogger program that I can say for sure detects the two programs you mentioned. SpyCop's niche market is detection of commercially available monitoring programs. As far as I know, MBAM and SAS stay away from detecting these sort of programs... although they may have recently changed their business practices. I can't speak for Zemana Antilogger or Privacy Keyboard, mentioned above. My guess is they focus on non-commercial keyloggers. I have no idea why a developer decides that because someone paid for a monitoring program, the person being surveilled shouldn't be able to know it is on their system.

SpyCop currently detects 656 commercial keyloggers.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  4. Warlockz

Spycop is $49.95 USD, And is not the only software that detects Spector Pro & eblaster, but if it does what it says why not!

I just got it and I'm going to start scanning now, I wonder if it finds anything?

Zemana Antilogger stops all Known and Unknown Keyloggers from logging but doesn't remove them!

What do you mean?

Bull Crap! Have you used it? don't go off spreading lies about something you obviously haven't used before! Because if you used it you wouldn't be posting lies about it!:mad: I dont know where you got your info but your info is False!

Malwarebytes is recommended by lots of people, mostly by Tech support! and it basically finds everything Malware related, but I don't know how well it does at detecting a keylogger?

Malwarebytes is FREE for Scanning and removal of Malware, the only difference between the Free and Paid for version is the "Anti-Malware Protection Module" which only activates once you've entered a Key! But thats the ONLY difference between free and paid!

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Actually, any good malware scanner will turn up Spector Pro. I've tried them. SpyCop does, in fact, only scan 75% of your drive in their "trial." I've never liked their way of doing business and especially their application which was written in an old programming language that leaves the application with a lot to be desired. Even the online scanners like Housecall hit on Spector Pro.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Huh? Not sure what you're calling bull crap, Warlockz. What lies are you referring to? Your post makes no sense to me. Read what I wrote, man. I said SpyCop doesn't have an effective trial period. And I know for a fact that the developers of MBAM and SAS have stated their programs are not into detecting commercial keyloggers. Maybe they have changed, but I said that too. What the heck are you flipping out about?

7. Warlockz

Oops my bad dude!

I guess I misinterpreted your post as if you where talking down on "Malwarebytes", I didn't know you were referring to SpyCop, Sorry dude!

Well I got a key for spycop scanner, and I scanned for spyware and it didn't find anything on my machine!

But it will probably be usefull to the OP if he is infected with some kind of keylogger! either that or he can follow the google links for other alternatives!

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I figured you must not have understood I was talking about SpyCop. Glad we got that straightened out. I think MBAM is a terrific product. A lot of security clean up forums use it to clean infected machines. The list includes Gladiator, MajorGeeks, BBR, Dell, SWI (SpywareInfo) and WhattheTech (formerly TomCoyote). But I know that Bruce said they don't go after commercial keyloggers, and Nick is on record saying the same thing. That's why I keep SpyCop around. It's a niche program.

Here is SUPERAntiSpy on the subject of commercial keyloggers...

"We (SUPERAntiSpyware) specifically don't detect the commercial keyloggers as they are used by many companies, etc. for legitimate purposes. We may add them in the future as 'warning/notification' rules/definitions."

Here is Bruce from MBAM on the subject of commercial keyloggers...

"Comercial keyloggers are something we have been thinking about but there are big issues as most of the time they are installed for a legit reason , I almost never see comercial keyloggers in the wild used by malware."

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  9. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

Bruce should look around a bit more, I'm fairly sure some random hacker installed Spector Pro on my computer. These commercial monitoring programs, while they have legit uses, can be used for really devious purposes as well. I think they should be at least detected by mainstream anti-spyware.

I have tried MBAM, no luck finding it. Spy Sweeper was what "detected" it, but it missed most of the SP files and only found 1 file that I dont even think is related to Spector Pro.

Will the spycop trial alert me to its presence or would it likely skip it? 75% is a big gamble.

10. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

Really? The latest version of Spector? Not to say your wrong, but I've heard otherwise many times, and so far a lot I've tried have missed entirely.

Would pestpatrol work? X-cleaner?

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

No way for me to tell you, but you sure could try. You could also email SpyCop and ask them.

from their FAQs...

Send a message to technicalATspycopDOTcom with subject "Product Support Request".
    After sending a message to this address, you will receive an automated reply. If you do not receive this, you must fix your email filters so that our response will get to you.

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Have you posted this question in the MBAM and SAS forums? That would certainly cut to the chase, and the responses would be helpful here. :)

13. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

Did some research, as of now neither of these products detect spector pro/eblaster.

I also ran the spycop trial, found nothing.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Too bad there isn't an eBlaster or Spector Pro free trial... you could install them and run the SpyCop trial to see if the 75% scan detects it. ;)

What research, may I ask?

15. badjoey

badjoey Registered Member

hi guys you might want to try counterspy.you can check out the review at ~Site not recommended by Wilders~ for the last 3 years running it has been named the number 2 antispyware behind spysweeper and i have used it in the past to check my system and it will find something if it is there and they offer a fully functional 14 day trial.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
  16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

In an old (v2.0) review, Neil Rubenking said of CounterSpy...

"It cleaned out all eight commercial keyloggers I use in testing" :thumb:

17. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Gerard,

About your posting "I've never liked their way of doing business":

Of course you are fully entitled for your opinion; not any doubt about that.

But here is another opinion about the SpyCop company doing their business:
    The SpyCop company does keep their promises, and that is something which cannot be said about every company.
    Want a prove? Here you go: Although lifetime licences cannot be bought anymore for SpyCop (small yearly fee now), the company did keep their promise that old users (who purchased it before 2002) do have a lifetime licence. I happen to be one of these lucky ones, and I can assure that the SpyCop company did keep their promise!
    Sorry, I had to defend SpyCop on this ;)

As already posted by Page42: SpyCop covers the niche market of the commercial key-loggers. That is what SpyCop does!

For the OP:
    The free on-access-only Comodo BOClean has eblaster in its database as well several items for Spector.
    TrojanHunter has also Spector and Eblaster items in the database.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I can attest to a very similar experience with this company wherein I asked for and received free database updates for life due to improperly worded refund policy information. The company offered to refund my money AND give me free database updates for life. I felt it wasn't fair to take a refund due to a mistake, but I did accept their free lifetime updates offer! I have renewed twice now for free without a hitch. As Fanj states, "I can assure that the SpyCop company did keep their promise!". :thumb:

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

So far, badjoey has posted the best solution for the OP's needs... "I need a (preferably free, either full or trial) anti-keylogger that can detect Spector Pro (detecting eblaster would be nice too)."

In browsing the CounterSpy commercial keylogger database, I see both of the OP's programs listed, plus they offer a free 15 day trial period. One note... there are 295 items in their commercial keylogger database. SpyCop has over 600, but this could be a naming issue.

20. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

I think there actually *may* be a free trial, but I'm VERY hesitant to put any more of that thing on my computer!

As for SAS and MB, I looked at official statements on both of their messege boards. Hopefully that changes someday.

21. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

Thanks, I'll take a look. I've heard a few trouble stories with that program, but I'll take my chances if it means I could potentially get spector off my system!

22. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

Thanks, I'll have a look.

23. Warlockz

Well I installed Spector Pro to test some things out, I'm Ticked OFF, Zemana Antilogger did nothing to stop Spector Pro, Period! It did however Prompt me during the installation of Specter Pro asking for permission for the Installation to continue as did Zonealarm!

TIP; Always use a good password in your HIPS applications, therefore the Individual trying to install the malicious software is halted by the need for your password to continue!

But I did a scan with SpyCop and spycop found Specter Pro! Proof is in the Screenshot below, but my version of Spycop is licensed!

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh306/twistedlinkz/2009-01-16_025400.png

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Three cheers for SpyCop! For doing what it says it will do! :thumb:

Did you try it against CounterSpy? They list Spector in their commercial keylogger database.

Now that you have Spector pro loaded, you can test it against a lot of anti-malware programs. BOClean, for example, is said to detect it, but their technology is based on the malware starting up, not just residing on the hard drive.

Test it against Housecalls, too. ;)

25. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

You are the man. Thanks for the good news.

As Page said, since you have a copy of the elusive SP, could you test it out in stealth mode against some anti-spyware programs (x-cleaner, a-squared, spy sweeper, etc.)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.