NAV2008 Oddity

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Anth-Unit, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anth-Unit

Anth-Unit Registered Member

I just downloaded the trial for NAV 2008. It installs fine and runs fine but it keeps telling me that the Advanced firewall feature is turned off and that im "at risk." When I click on the warning it tells me that I should turn this feature on, but as far as I can tell I cant enable it at all. Also, this advanced firewall feature is absent from screenshots of the product at the symantec website. During Install of NAV 2008 trial I noticed that it disables the windows firewall. Anyone know how to solve this?

2. richter

richter Registered Member

I think some of NIS users will be more of a help....

NIS does disable Windows firewall. I am not certain if it asks whether you want to use Norton firewall instead during installation. You can try simply clicking on Fix now or however it says in upper left corner. It should enable all features it finds "problematic". On other hand, you should be able to simply disable the firewall and after that enable Windows' built in one. Just check options.

3. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

You must have NIS 2008 if you have a firewall. I am scratching my head on the "advanced firewall" bit as I never seen any reference to it. When I installed '08 it went through a process of fixing everything on it's own except for turning Windows Account Control on (for Vista).

NIS will turn Windows firewall off because of conflicts. In Security Center it reports that Nortons's firewall is on and Windows is off.

Attached Files:

4. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Ok, n/m, I see that on the main screen it is referred to as "Advanced Firewall". I haven't noticed it before, lol.

Only thing I can think of is a botched install. I would uninstall it using Add/Remove and then clean up what's left with the Removal Tool. Then reinstall NIS and see what happens.

If you don't have SymNRT download either one of these:

For Win2000, XP, Vista

For Win98/Me

Do NOT use this tool in place of Add/Remove. This is only to be used if Add/Remove fails or cleaning up after a successful A/R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.