nav problems

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bethrezen, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi all

I recently ran the updater to update nav with its latest virus definition files but the latest up date has messed nav up and its no longer working correctly and when I try to run a scan I get the following errors

Unable to read the boot record on hard drive #0.
    Check to make sure the drive is ready.

Unable to read the boot record on hard drive #1.
    Check to make sure the drive is ready.

Unable to read the boot record on drive c.
    Check to make sure the drive is ready

Unable to read the boot record on drive d.
    Check to make sure the drive is ready

I was wondering if anyone might know what's is causing this problem and how to remedy

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and although this gets nav working again this is only with its old def set that comes on the disk if I try updating to the latest def set its fouls up and I get the above errors

help !!

2. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Sounds like a serious problem. But which version of NAV you are using? What
    is the operating system? Have you tried contacting the technical support?

3. Bethrezen

in running win 98se

and nav 2001

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

this is just my opintion but if your using norton 2001 you mights as well use a newer free av instead because it will provide you with better protection or get a a newer payed av such as nod32 because its light on resourses

lodore

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

A good opinion too. Advice that should be seriously considered. ;)

6. Bethrezen

oddley enough i was thinking the same thing

any suggestions becues from what i've seen most of the free avs arent up to much and dont provide anywhere near the level of protection that a paid av does and in some cases are rarther inefficent using more resourses than they should and taking longer to scan than thay should

that being said it has been quite some time scince i had a look at av comparision tests so this could have changed

so whats the genral consencious here ?? what are the top 10 av around at the moment ?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

AntiVir-PE and Avast are free and both are highly rated by AV-Comparative tests. If you web-surf in *shark infested waters* Avast might be the better choice.

Before uninstalling Norton, I strongly suggest that you seek advice on this forum. NAV is notoriously difficult to uninstall.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No matter it is version 2001 , it seems that many Norton users are having update problems these days . I saw others are also complaining...

Anyway... Windows 98se is too old vulnerable and oldfashioned (:D ) version
    It is strongly recommended that you first upgrade to Windows XP

Remove this old and vulnerable version of Norton AV using its removal module from Add/Remove programs and use their removal tools for versions older than 2003 version here

Consider buying a router with NAT/SPI protections
    Considers good firewall (only if you can find)
    Use current version antivirus software and antispyware software (NOD32 is great , F-prot is also good)
    Use only Mozilla Firefox as your browser as the most secure :D

Have a look here
    :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2006
  9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I ofter uninstall Norton 2001 or 2002 (crack) versions of my clients who think this old cracky would work , however it uninstalls easily always . Hope they'll never touch crack :D

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually thats not necessarely true. AntiVir 7 with heuristics set to High is a killer. Avira guys did an excellent job with heuristics, ok, maybe they produce some more false positives but the advantage of detecting new stuff is so much higher that FPs are nothing. Too bad other things aren't so good (like that damn AVNotify popup grrrr).

11. Arin

Arin Registered Member

@RejZor

That goes for a technical people like you or many others but for non
    technical people, FPs cause some damage. There is one thread in this forum
    where the person simply deleted a file which he THOUGHT is a malware. This is
    why virusbtn rejects an AV if it generates even a single FP. Remember that
    happened with Avast too. But I agree with you. If you know what you are
    doing and what you have to do then FPs are no problem.

@Bethrezen

NAV 2001 was a very light AV from Norton. I really liked it. HiTech_boy
    gave you some excellent suggestions so there is no need to repeat them.
    bellgamin is right too. I just want to add that if you want to continue with
    Windows 98 (Microsoft stopped supporting it) then you can go for Dr.Web.
    You'll get an excellent AV with Behaviour Blocker.

12. Bethrezen

hi all

thanks for the replays

not happening i dont have £200 and i dont like the idea of using a downloaded copy

as for the basic security set up im ok i got a firewall i use adaware and spybot for malware detection and removel

as for my av nav 2001 was working just fine till this happend and did just as good a job as newer versions so long as i had the latest defs

i happen to quite like nav 2001 its lighter on resourses then newer versions lighter even that quite a few other AVs and its proven its self a reliable AV

with hyristic settings set to high nothing has ever sliped by as far as i know and unlike a few other AVs i have tryed nav 2001 dosnt give me fales positives on files when the hyristics are set to high

its just a pain that the latest update is causing this problem i bet its symantec trying to force people to upgrade by riging there updates so thay only work with latest versions anyone got an emal addey so i can try emailing symantec ??

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

if you want to stick with win 98 thats fine of course.

secoundly norton2001 wont block anyspyware and isnt very good with trojans. my old pc that had norton on it came out with like 20 tojans when i checked it with another AV.

14. Bethrezen

hi

my suspicion is that Symantec has deliberately kluged the latest updates to try and kill of older version of NAV now obviously I don't have any proof of this but it seems to be the general consensus according to everything I've read

I may just try asking them DIRECTLY if they have deliberately altered the definitions to kill off older version and see what they have to say for them selves

either way I'm just going to make a pain in the arse out of my self and keep hounding there tech support until either they tell me how to fix this or they actually give me a strait answer and tell me yes or no whether they have deliberately done this so people have to upgrade

if this is just an error on there part fair enough I'll cut them some slack I mean everyone makes mistakes but if this is as I suspect them playing silly buggers to force people to upgrade you can bet that they will be getting an ear full for it

I mean ok fair enough they are trying to run a business but that no excuse for sly shady back hand tactics

if they are going to alter there updates so they wont work with older version then they should be open and honest about it and give people some warning that from X date updates will no longer work with older versions of there products and that to continue receiving update you will need to upgrade

ok this might annoy people a lil bit but after all they are running a business and I can forgive them for that but sly shady back hand tactics not telling anyone or giving there customers any warning is completely unacceptable

because it leave people vulnerable to attack because suddenly there AV stops working as has been the situation in may case for the last 2 weeks I have been with out an AV because of this and I didn't want to go buying another one just in case this was just a bug that was going to be sorted out and everything was going to be ok again

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

i didnt think sysmantec even supportd the 2001 version anymore

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

As I have written in my previous posts , I have seen other guys also having problems like yours however they had version 2006.

Symantec have full right to stop supporting such an old version . 2001 ... it is old and vulnerable . Everything (every malware) and everybody (every hacker) can competely disable and delete it . New versions offer a lot more protections and at least have some kind of self-protection mechnism .

You are strongly advised to stop using this old version (see my posts above) and download and use up-to-date and current antivirus and antispyware protection . I am sure you'll be scared when you see how many thing this Norton2001 is missing .:thumb:

If you like Symantec , this is ok , they offer Norton 2005 for Windows 98 so you can use it if you wish Symantec

;) :thumb:

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Me , too .

I don't see anywhere in their site how to download updates . For example , see the Interligent Updater site for daily update , only 2003/2004/2005 and 2006 versions + Corporate version 8 , 9 and 10 :)

Attached Files:

18. Arin

Arin Registered Member

I don't think Symantec is trying to get rid of old products. Engines are always
    updated to use the latest signature files. Maybe the old NAV 2001 engine is
    unable to bite into the latest signatures. Whatever the reason, you should
    upgrade your AV softwares. You can get the free AVs which are as good as
    the paid ones. You can also buy Dr.Web which is light and on your Win98
    computer, you'll get the behavior blocker. AntiVir is a free one but very good.

19. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Norton antivirus started useing a different scan engine in the 2005 version. the definations are designed to work with the newer engine and the older versions of norton can not use these newer defs or scan engine. The older versions of Norton av can't even use the complete av defs due to not being able to use the new scan engine. The older versions will download the newer defs but can not use them, Which makes the older versions very inefective. Some of the newer defs and program upgrades that come through live update can actually cause the older versions to have some major problems. Don't let anyone convince you that the older versions can protect you against the newer malware because they just can't.

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This is something new for me . Thanks,bigc ! :)

:thumb: :D

21. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi bigc73542, is the "different scan engine in the 2005 version" a modified engine of IBM AntiVirus or a complete new engine? AFAIK, Norton started using the IBM Antivirus scan engine in 1999...

Thanks...:p

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

They use their own engine and it is changed some every version. But it had a big change in ver. 2005 concerning spyware,adware and trojans. And that is just some of what the older versions can't make use of. here are just a couple of changes. see screen shot.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  23. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Thanks for the information, as there had been a slight difference in detection rate in the on-demand and the on-access scanner of the IBM engine some time before...

24. FrozeNn

FrozeNn Registered Member

ive just install KAV 6.0 :DD

cheers buddy but its lagging me while im playing games. any idea?

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.