NAV Or Panda

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Shaker, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

A heads up on renewals. Someone I work with in technical support who uses Panda Platinum said he got a pretty healthy discount by calling their regional office in Glendale Ca. I guess 6 month license renewals on the web are $39.95 but if you call them direct he got a 1 yr license for $49.95, still a bit pricey but not too bad i'd say. The number is 818-543-6901, hope this eases any concerns a bit... He says he likes it alot and is tweaking my interest in trying it out. :D

2. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

bellgamin, I don't mean to hijack the thread. I'm running kav antivirus personal 5.0.149 version. I have a 700 mhz processor, 192 mb memory, and running windows me. Kav runs well on my computer. I was using avast!free edition. Kav only uses 4 % more system resources than avast free. My system resources with avast was 87% free. With kav system resources are running 83% free.

I know you were asking about panda, but I really am impressed with kav. You may want to give kav a try. Just a thought.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You can still get panda platinium 7 free for a year here free panda just fill out the form and they give you a link to download panda 7 and give you a user name and password.

bigc

4. Mr2cents

bigc, doesn't panda 7 run sygates firewall? I heard that on a forum somewhere. You can't beat free for a year. LOL. The reason I bring up sygate is I used to run there firewall, I really liked it, but sygate just uses to much resources for my system. I know your reply wasn't directed to me. However, I would like to know if it's sygates firewall that panda runs. I'm trialing kav for 30 days right now, but I might try the free panda after the 30 day trial with kav.

5. Mr2cents

Is it possible to disable the firewall in panda platinum? The reason I ask is because I run kerio 2.15. I don't want to run any other firewall. I just love kerio 2.15. It has such a light footprint and is easy on system resources. :D

6. bigc73542

It is sygate and you can disable it. I don't know if you can delete the firewall but it can be turned off

bigc

7. Mr2cents

Thanks for the reply bigc. If things don't work out with kav. I may give panda a try in about 28 days. :D

8. Zev0

Zev0 Registered Member

Seems like I've found some Panda gurus. I have a question, when I receive a file from let's say, icq, does panda scan it or do I have to set it up to scan within the icq prefs. And if so, what exe do I point it to for the scan.

9. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Panda scans all files written to the hdd if all ext are selected, and you can also set up icq to scan using the avengine.exe in the panda folder, no command line entries are needed as it will take them from your prefences from scheduled scan section the "scan whole system" profile.

10. westwind

westwind Registered Member

if your compuer is old,panda is better

nav is steady

11. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I have sent Sweetie(*)(*) a PM asking about a statement he made on the first page of this thread, but have not received an answer yet. So I thought I would ask if anyone might know what he means by privacy issues that NAV has. This was the statement.....

I know no one can speak for someone else, but I thought someone might be familiar with these privacy issues. I've never heard about this problem with NAV.

I just curious.

12. AUXHILLARYmikE

AUXHILLARYmikE Registered Member

I live in Crosskeys near Cardiff in Wales. United
    I HAVE ALWAYS USED PANDA. SINCE DOWNLOADING A TROJAN ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO CALLED TITAN4. THE ONLY PROGRAMS OUT OF ABOUT 6 AV`S, INCLUDING NAV, THAT COULD FIND IT WAS PANDA AND SOPHOS [GOOD PROGRAM BUT DESIGNED FOR CORPORATE USE, AS YOU NEED TO D/LOAD ZIPPED FILES THAT YOU EXTRACT AND INSTALL YOURSELF, PURGE CHEKSUM AND RE-BOOT!-VERY COMPLEX FOR SOME USERS?]

13. bigc73542

if you keep an eye open you will notice that anytime there is a new piece of malware that comes along panda is one of the first to detect it and have a cure for it.

14. karll

karll Guest

BigC, how stable is the Panda Firewall? Can I trust it enough to use it stand-alone? How about running it with process guard?

15. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

bigc
    i have the panda firewall too but not activated--using sygate.which,in your opinion is best?could i use both
    I could activate panda's firewall--thanks
    Rita

16. flyrfan111

The firewall incorparated with Platinum is a version of Sygate free version with a few "extras". If you are using sygate free or sygate pro, Panda won't let you install it. I used to use Panda that way(with firewall disabled, and I ran Sygate Pro).

17. bigc73542

if you are useing sygate you have to remove it before you install the panda firewall which is a modifided version of sygate. I have not had any problems with the panda firewall having conflicts with any app yet. and I have no problems trusting the panda firewall at all. I had nod installed for a while but I removed it today and put panda back in. I just like panda better. And don't try to run any other firewall with the panda firewall they won't play well together. I think that the panda firewall is as good as sygate.

bigc

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  18. flyrfan111

Yes the Panda firewall is a little better than Sygate free and not quite Sygate Pro. You still have to be careful to change permission for all approved apps as Sygate and thus Panda allow server permission along with client permission. This is my only criticism of Sygate. Also Panda doesn't allow for modification of the time that attacking or scanning IPs are blocked, you can only block them for 10 mins. Pro allows for up to 999,999 seconds (just shy of two weeks) BTW bigc why did you forgo NOD for Panda? Just curious, I prefer NOD to Panda, too stay on topic, you can PM with the answer if you wish. Thanks

Regards

19. bigc73542

I will PM you ;)

20. flyrfan111

Another factor I considered in using Sygate Pro over the version in Panda is that Pro like the latest version of NOD is unkillable and if somehow it is disabled it shuts down your connection. ( if you select the option that is of course)

21. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

HI, first off im a she, the issues vary depending which version you have.

Info about the user and web habits can be sent back to Symantec, folders files and reg entries left behind after uninstalling that can be hard to get rid of, firewall in NIS isn't as secure as most competitors and can let info be seen by anyone if not properly configured.

The bigest issue i have is with the user prefrences and web/computing habits being monitored by Symantic.

22. flyrfan111

Just another idea i was thinking of, I don't recommend Sygate or Panda's version of it to anyone that uses proxies,i.e. Proxomitron. In order to have them work properly they need server rights, the problem comes in because Sygate will allow internet apps using Proxo to have the same rights Proxo does for example, you have set IE with client rights and disabled server rights as you should have, the problem comes in because Sygate grants access to IE based on Proxo's settings which are set to server to have it work correctly, thus you would have IE listening also which is a very unsafe proposition to say the least. So people using Panda Plat 7 should NOT use it's incorporated firewall if they use Proxo or any other proxy. Use a firewall that does not handle proxies in this fashion, ie, Zone Alarm, Outpost, Kerio or LnS are not susceptible to this to the best of my knowledge though I am not sure, ZAP is the only other firewall I have used.

23. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

First things first. I sincerely appologize for presuming you were a he. Presuming someone is a he because they participate in a forum is not very bright. The little gray cells in this guys brain weren't working too well.

Ok, now I'll say thank you for supplying the information about Symantec. I appreciate it.

24. Siro

Siro Registered Member

I have recently used Norton Internet Security 2005 which includes the 2005 norton antivirus and considering the detection rate i found it to be very good and the scanning time it takes in comparison to leading Av's is pretty less.And surprisingly its the first time that i have found that the norton product isnt a resource hog on my p4 2.0A ghz with 512 Mb DualChannel DDR ram.
    I used a trial version of Panda Platinum Internet Security 8.0.5 before installing norton and found it to be an exceptional product with timely updates which are infact everyday like Kaspersky Antivirus Personal 5.0 and its bigger bro Pro 5.The antispam worked like a charm for me with some odd and out problems always occuring and its firewall is a highly robust one which incorporates the Sygate Technologies within it and blocks most of the attacks and gives good outbound protection.I believe the only place where the IS suite was lacking is the antispyware feature it has which needs a little bit of improvement and the Web Filtering also worked pretty well.And Panda isnt a resource hog for me at all and found it to be very user friendly and its antivirus is faster than norton at scanning files or may be equal to it and catches most of the common viruses which are spreading.With heuristics enabled while scanning the harddisk takes a little longer than usual but thats obviously understandable.All in all i prefer the Panda Platinum IS 8.0.5 to Norton or McAfee IS Suites anyday any time.

Siro

25. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

PANDA...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.