NAV 2002 Versus XP-Pro!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Joseph, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph

Joseph Registered Member

:'( Installed NAV 2002 on 2 Sys, both XP-Pro.
    On one fine no problem. no infection found after complete sys. scan.(PII/400,64Mb.)
    The other one (PIII/600, 384Mb) Install OK. live update OK.
    1st scan (went to bed)was interupted because of fatal error, no other indication.
    History was that 2ns sys. was infected by Klezz and was first impos.to install NAV. after cleaning, NAV installed OK.
    Any suggestion?? o_O

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hello Joseph - and welcome!

I'm a bit in the dark here; could you elaborate on your question? What's your question here?

regards.

paul

3. Joseph

Joseph Registered Member

Hi Paul,

The question is basically that after cleaning 168 infected files by the Klezz virus, Norton still looks as if it is not correctly working.
    When I tried to install NAV2002 at first, there was no way to complete the installation.
    As my ZoneAlarm kept nagging about the fact that XP tried to send some files to MS, l discussed this with a friend. He mentioned that I might have a Klezz infection, tried this and indeed 168 files cleaned.
    After this NAV2002 installed OK and live update as well.
    I set NAV to do a complete scan overnight, but in the morning l only saw on the sreen that the scan could not complete because a fatal error had occured. (sorry for the long story).
    Now l don't have the foggiest idea where to look. As you realize, l'm new on the system protection front because l have just installed an ADSL conection.
    All suggestions are welcome.Basically...Heeeeelp!! o_O

4. Paul Wilders

Hi Joseph,

Contacting MSoft does not seem related; perform a search for the freeware app X-Antispy, and install it. That should take care of the problem.

Could you tell how you did clean your system? did you use a separate stand alone cleaner, and if so, which one?

Has this happened just once, eg did you gave it another try? Apart from that, do you have a time scheduled screensaver working? Starting up in the safe mode and start a full scan after that could be a solution. Finally: what exact error message is being displayed?

regards.

paul  

5. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I would check power management settings in addition to screen saver ones. Some systems default to turn the hard drive off in 20 minutes of no user activity. This could be a problem for scheduling. Screen savers are known to wreck defrags and scan disk efforts.

Run a full scan while you watch, try to write down what file it was scanning when it erred (if it started scanning at all)

Definately take a screen shot or write down the exact error message, and the way it was delivered including title and style. This is very important. I often include a pic of error message like this:  http://24.69.117.89/ipdefault/images/sbsd.jpg

The developer of this prog was able to exactly identify what was going on.

6. Joseph

Joseph Registered Member

Hi Folks, I've foud it! :D
    As in the suggestion from UNICORN, I watched NAV scanning and found that it ent wrong scanning drive E:.
    Tied E: alone and found that when trying to scan an old Acrobar reader file, it went on the blink, message was:"Norton AV was unable to scan your computer for infections. The virus scan has failed because a critical error occured"
    Checked the Acrobat file and as it was old, tried to delete. ( must have been from before Win98se!!).
    No way, than copied all the other files from drive E: to another biggish drive and tried to format. no way.( msg:" The instruction at "0x7ff53fe" referenced memory at " 0xfffffff8". The memory could not be read") Than the blunt axe methode.
    Start up with Win98 setup disk and run fdisk ->delete partitions DOS etc and made it anew. Back to XP and to E: -> new format, -> files bak -> NAV......ALL OK no more infections foud!
    Sorry to have buggerd you guys with this, but perhaps the solution might help another newbe.. should be an easyer way....Thanks to you all.

7. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Glad it worked out for you. Had it been your system drive it might have been much worse. A scandisk on that partition might have helped.

8. Joseph

Joseph Registered Member

Paul asked what I used to get rid of the Klezz...
    I found a program called "Antiklez.exe" and let it loose on the PC.
    It found all the infected files and removed all but three.
    After cleaning it reported that in order to remove the last three, I had to reboot and indeed, after rebooting the other three had disappeard as well.
    I now run the 'Anticlez' twice a week to be sure.
    You never know, although now the norton dog is awake at the doors!!
    Thank you all for the support.

9. Paul Wilders

Joseph,

Thanks for the info - and glad all works fine!

regards.

paul

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

And now people are eager to know where you found the Antiklez.exe of course.

Was it this on the bitdefender freetools site:
    http://www.bitdefender.com/html/free_tools.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.