Natty is looking quite good

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Trespasser, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Hi,
    Ubuntu Natty is in the home stretch for final release this coming Friday (April 29, 2011) and things are looking quite good. I installed daily-build 4-22-11 yesterday evening, just to see how things were going, and since then not a single crash has occurred (which is unusual in itself...;) ). Everything is just working. The only problem I've encountered is an old one which involves Bleachbit as root...it doesn't want to open the very first time you try to use it. But, it eventually does open after repeated attempts.

I should add that I have an Nvidia Geforce 9300 GS in my laptop which might help explain why things are running so smooth but to my understanding there's an Ati driver available for later model cards. Actually, the radeon driver does an excellent job for older Ati chipsets.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Anticipation is starting to build in me as release day approaches. Sort of a tradition, really. ;) .

Later...

Bob

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I had a quick look at beta 2 to see Unity and it does look quite nice. However, I couldn't figure out how to access any of Firefox's settings, didn't see any way to access the menus and so on. Also, Firefox stretched from the very top of the screen to down below the bottom, and I saw no way to resize it. Maybe it's just my stupidity/blindness, or lack of persistence, I don't know. It'll also take a while to figure out where everything is now too. But overall, I got a decent impression of it and liked it.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

5. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I fixed a Dell laptop last week that ran Vista x86. I gave it a tune-up, and got about 3:15 of battery life out of it (per charge). Installed Ubuntu, and it only gets 1:35 :doubt:

6. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

There will be no release candidate version this cycle. The beta is for all intents and purposes the final version.

More work on Unity will be done over the summer to get it ready for Oneiric Ocelot.

This is just the preview show! :D

7. NormanF

That explains the freezes I'm getting on my netbook with the new kernel. None with the old one. Its stable as a rock. If they solve the power regression problem, then we can owe the developers a round of thanks.

8. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

The only thing that looks good in this release is the GUI. It acts horrible on my laptop (unstable, overheating). I suspect a lot of patches coming out in May, so I will wait until June/July to try it again ;)

9. NormanF

Really? Natty Narwhal's official release is in five days. There's more yet to come in daily updates until the final version is released just before the month is over! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.