Native EMET third-party graphical interface

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MessageBoxA, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

MessageBoxA:
    Thanks for all the interesting information.
    I hope you release a version that allows use of nemet in SP2 machines.
    Personally, I have not upgraded to SP3 due to some programs not working with it.
    As for being protected, sandboxie and returnil (+ macrium) have served me well.
    I believe that nemet would be a useful addition.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

ROP is kinda like a return-to-libc, you work with what's already there. Libc is more specific in that it's going for a System() call in C (almost always) and is after a BO.

I like the analogy though =p

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Originally Posted by MessageBoxA

Ohh err :eek: Interesting :) I understand why you're doing that, but obviously as you don't have other protection in place as, i do & others, that's why they get owned, as i'm sure you know ;)

I used to have WehnTrust installed a few years ago, after reading about it on here. That was on a previous XP comp, & i can't remember why i didn't install this time round ? I might install it again now you've mentioned it :) I do know they invented ASLR long before MS thought of doing it :D

I only have one comp to work on, so your Computer-A etc idea is a no go for me right now i'm afraid :( But it made me think that i could "possibly" use Universal Extractor to extract the files, which i did :D

em-setup.gif

Are All of those what i need, or is something/s missing ? If so how do i proceed from here & also incorporate your App with it at the same time ?

If not what are your thoughts about what i could do with what i've grabbed & your App ?

TIA

4. MessageBoxA

MessageBoxA Registered Member

CloneRanger, this morning I done some basic testing inside a VM with WindowsXP at unpatched service pack 2 and the DLL is unfortunately not loading into the processes via the AppCompat engine.

I have not dedicated any time into debugging the cause of the problem. Unfortunately there will be no support for the deprecated SP2 at this time. :oops:

Heh, I still recommend that you update your Windows XP to SP3 and become patched and up-to-date. :)

-MessageBoxA

5. CloneRanger

@ MessageBoxA

Hi, just logged in & seen your post !

Thanks for taking the time to do that :) Oh well, if it can't be done :(

All the best anyway :thumb:

Regards

6. Hungry Man

This is a case of "It's broken, fix it."

That's what updates and service packs are for.

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Nice feature :) Not many apps offers such option...I know only one - Rising FW. It can create installer with own user's setting, updates, rules, etc.

8. Hungry Man

I'll be excited to try out the new .dll. If I can create a redeployment package that would be great.

9. CloneRanger

Blah Blah Blah :p

Don't need em, nicely secure here :D

10. Hungry Man

Ok then.

11. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Will it retain my current EMET settings? If I install this, do I need to remove EMET? Any steps? I'm sorry for the questions if it is already answered, I'm kinda lazy today. :D

12. Hungry Man

Will it retain current EMET settings? Yes.
    No installation is required, it's portable.
    No, you do not need to remove EMET. In fact you need to have EMET installed first.

Try running it and see if you still have questions.

13. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Cool, I'll try it later.

14. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

heh. I might try running Win XP SP2 unpatched... looks fun :D

15. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I was also hoping to see this work on SP2, and without net framework. Maybe in time?
    Only if you run with a conventional default-permit security package. With a default-deny policy in place, it's as boring as ever. Nothing ever happens.

16. Hungry Man

If he gets his own .dll it'll remove the EMET dependency entirely (I assume) and unless there's something in SP2 that would stop it from working (possible, it's a dozen years old) it should be fine.

Not to speak for him, keep in mind I know none of the code behind it and I'm making an assumption based on what I've seen.

17. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'll have to remember to check this thread more often. For some reason I keep thinking this is just for Vista and 7, forgetting it also works on XP. I'd have to check if I still have an image of SP3 laying around that I can load as a virtual system.

18. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

He already has his own authored his own .dll, Dave just hasn't released it yet. Part of the point of him creating the .dll is to remove dependency of EMET.

19. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I noticed in the screenshot that ASLR is set to always on. Is it safe to do that?

20. Hungry Man

When I set to Always On I can't boot up.

Makes sense.

21. MessageBoxA

MessageBoxA Registered Member

Hi,

As previously stated; I am currently in the testing phase on a replacement DLL which will completely remove the EMET dependency.

Regarding ASLR set to 'Always On':

Those of you having ASLR 'Always On' problems could be using ATI video cards. For some reason there are some companies out there... hard-coding physical memory offsets within their device drivers... For those of you whom are not software engineers... that is a huge WTF... you should never do that... ever, period.

The video card market is extremely competitive... they probably gain a few more FPS by doing this... but are committing an engineering cardinal sin in the process.

There could be more hardware vendors doing the same crap... I do not have a complete list of incompatibilities. I have considered adding a white/black list of known hardware/software incompatibilities. Maybe I should add a warning before allowing the user to set ASLR to 'Always On'.

Technically... it might also be possible for me to scan usermode binaries and detect potential problems... for example the EAF mitigation requires DR0-DR7 debug register usage... I could potentially scan usermode binaries and look for instructions accessing the debug registers. Skype and Netflix are examples of software packages incompatible with EAF. Heh, I guess it really depends on how much time I want to invest into scanning for incompatibilities. Not really sure if it is worth it.

-MessageBoxA

22. Hungry Man

Yeah I have an ATI card and I know the MS incompatibility list (All of 3 apps on i think) has ATI cards on it.

Thanks for the more indepth info.

23. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Waiting for the new .dll.
    I also just found out that my EMET can set ASLR as Opt in and disable only. Is that normal?

24. Hungry Man

Yes Skudo, that's normal. You can use a registry tweak to enable "Always On" but it will very possibly stop your computer from booting.

There is no Opt-Out for ASLR because... well I don't really know. Devs are too lazy?

25. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Yes its normal. ASLR always on is not an option by default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.