NANO AntiVirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ViVek, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanoav

nanoav Registered Member

Thank you for your message. We will investigate the problem and will write here.
    UPD. Could you say which version NANO AV do you try to install?
    No, needn't.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

3. nanoav

nanoav Registered Member

Could I ask you to send to us the installation logs? Press button "Show details" in the installation windows, copy all the text into .txt file and send to support@nanoav.ru. Please specify the subject as something like this: "Logs from bellgamin, wilderssecurity". Also we need an information about your PC (OS, hardware, free space on the system disk). Your help is very appreciated. Thank you in advance.

4. Solidify

Solidify Registered Member

ill try.
    Where i submit false positives, my computer is full of secret files ! :b

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  5. nanoav

nanoav Registered Member

You can send false positives to virus@nanoav.ru. Please specify "False positive" in the subject line, please. Do I understand you right?
    Thank you in advance.

6. bellgamin

I did a re-install, again using Shadow Defender. When I tried to copy the intallation log, it wouldn't highlight the entire contents of the log even though I held down the shift button while attempting to do so.

Therefore I decided to take screenshots of the logs. When I activated my screenshot program, it somehow pushed Nano's installer into finishing its job. Even so, it took Nano over 15 minutes to install itself.

I repeatedly tried to get a beta-test license so that I could get signature updates. Evidently this feature isn't activated because Nano told me it was unable to connect -- even though my connection is fully functional for everything (AV updates, Email, web surfing etc).
    ScrHunt01 07-Dec-10.gif

Afterward I received a couple of nag screens. :cautious:
    ScrHunt02 07-Dec-10.gif
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ran Nano for about 1/2 hour . . .
    + Two processes show on Process Hacker: (1) starter.exe (2) nanosvc.exe.
    + Combined data: (a) Total CPU time ~2+ minutes (b) Pvt Memory 158MB (c) Virtual size 554MB
    + I/O usage was steady at ~2.22kB/S.
    + When surfing or using applications I sensed no slowdown.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The GUI is intuitively easy to use. It has everything you could ask for EXCEPT it lacks settings for heuristics.

Nowadays I want an Antivirus program's GUI to give visible evidence that it has active and TWEAKABLE heuristics &/or behavior blocker.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It seems to me that Nano is *behind the times* in NOT offering in-the-cloud technology. Even so, I think Nano is among the most promising new AVs in the pipeline, & I shall continue to monitor its progress closely.

7. nanoav

nanoav Registered Member

Hi bellgamin,

Thank you for trial of our product.

Your situation with long time of installation process is non-typical. Could you help us more?
    Please send to us logs. Use "Start->All programs->NANO AntiVirus->Send logs to the support service". Then follow the instructions of "NANO Report" utility. If you can't send logs with our utility, save them and send the file to support@nanoav.ru. Please specify the subject as something like this: "Logs from bellgamin, wilderssecurity". Also we need an information about your PC (OS, hardware, free space on the system disk).

As for the installation log, we needn't it now as the usual logs are more informative. But I would like anyway to explain how to catch it. Just click in the log field with right mouse button, the small context menu appears, then select there the item "Copy data to the clipboard". Or just use ctrl+a->ctrl+c.

As for the error of the license getting, the most often reason is you used other AVs before or now and some of those have changed your registry (winsocks). We know about this problem and plan to realize enhanced mechanism. At the present time we send personal license file to any registered user via e-mail on demand. I can send the personal license file to you to the e-mail address you have specified in your profile.

Thank you again for feedback and your aid.

8. bellgamin

I sent what you requested.

9. nanoav

nanoav Registered Member

Hello, we have received your logs and have sent to you the detailed answer. Mainly the problem was caused most probably by the software combination on your computer.
    Thank you for your cooperation:)

10. bellgamin

Thanks to Nano support for the informative email reply.

Up until today I have always installed Nano using Shadow Defender (it's feasible because Nano requires no re-start during installation). In every case Nano installed verrrry slowly.

Curiosity finally got the better of me so, today, I made an image & installed Nano into my *real computer* (not Shadow Defender). It installed quite normally. Not slow at all. Ergo, my guess is that Nano doesn't like Shadow Defender (&/or Shadow Defender doesn't like Nano).

I have now restored my computer to pre-Nano state, but I am increasingly impressed by Nano's prospects. However I still say they need to consider using in-the-cloud technology in order to stay current with the competition. I made this comment in an earlier post but the Nano rep has thus far chosen to ignore it. :cautious:

11. nanoav

nanoav Registered Member

Thank you again for your cooperation. That sort of messages helps us to meet user's requirements. We will test the Shadow Defender with NANO AntiVirus as soon as possible and will advise about the result.

No, we didn't ignore it, but as we don't use cloud technologies we reply nothing:) . Nevertheless we also think that this kind of technologies is very promising.

12. nanoav

nanoav Registered Member

NANO AntiVirus 0.14.0.5 Beta

Hi all,
    The update of NANO AntiVirus (0.14.0.5 Beta)
    has been placed on the site.

New in this version:

1. Fixed errors of the NANO Report utility.
    2. The time of the scanning of some msi-files is decreased considerably.
    3. The stability of NANO AntiVirus operation is improved.
    4. Fixed errors of infected files processing.
    5. Fixed a number of slight errors.

13. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

When is the final release expected? Any new features being added in the next upcoming [major] releases?

Another popular question is: will Nano Antivirus remain free? If so, I think a paid version of the product should be made to help support development costs and so on. So there would be two products: Nano Antivirus and Nano Internet Security. NIS has additional features such as a firewall, antispam, phishing filter and identity protection?

Other idea(s): The popup notification has a hand on the upper-left corner, which IMO could be edited into something else. Instead of a hand, it can be an X (designed like the one in Immunet or Norton) and the Nano icon could turn red as well (like in MSE). The popup notification could also be a little smaller in size too. Resource usage could also be improved so it can be more friendly for netbook users like me.

14. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

I don't really know why but I've been keeping an eye on this company since their inception. There has to be a lot of improvement before the product is ready to be marketed as a paid product. In my opinion the signature based AV is rapidly becoming obsolete. That being said I wish Nano all the best & hope they can continue to improve the product & lower resource usage.;)

15. nanoav

nanoav Registered Member

WinDefend, Watasha, thank you for trial of NANO AntiVirus.

As for the final release, we don't specify a date yet. Also we haven't an public information about our commercial plans.

We plan to add web-traffic scanner, plugin for outlook express and perhaps something else. Also we enlarge our virus base, improve a performance, detect, resource usage and so on.

WinDefend, thank you for your suggestions, we will discuss it.

Watasha, thank you for the warm words :).

16. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Hey guys, ;)

An update of NANO AntiVirus (0.14.0.6 Beta)
    has been placed on their site.

New in this version:

• Improved scanning of PDF-files.
    • Fixed the error which occasionally doesn't permit to switch on The System Guard.
    • Fixed the error which caused BSOD in systems with Comodo Backup installed.
    • The stability of NANO AntiVirus operation is improved and a number of slight errors was fixed.

17. nanoav

nanoav Registered Member

NANO AntiVirus has received OPSWAT Certification

The OPSWAT Certification (ex-OESIS OK) has been awarded to NANO AntiVirus in the Antivirus category. The OPSWAT Certification Program is designed to enable partnerships between independent software vendors and leading technology solutions. OPSWAT Certified products are verified interoperable with solutions that employ the OESIS Framework, allowing applications to be easily integrated on millions of endpoints.

During testing process NANO AntiVirus must be correctly installed on all supported operating systems and language combinations reflected in the application’s documentation. Then our product must pass Rogue Application Test. NANO AntiVirus installer and binaries are scanned against lists of known rogue applications by multiple anti-malware engines. The rule is that no any applications with any file reported as “suspicious”, “threat” or other nomenclature indicative of rogue applications will be granted certification. Also was checked is OESIS Framework supports the function calls listed.

18. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Re: NANO AntiVirus has received OPSWAT Certification

Is the official stable release planned to be released before summer?

19. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

Guys you can chit chat, but search Youtube for nano antivirus review by languy or somebody ( sorry I did it 3 months ago) - this AV is complete horse.... cake....:)

20. bellgamin

So are languy's half-baked, incompetent, so-called reviews.:shifty:

21. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

HAHA my god thats some funny stuff.... Thanks for the laugh:D

22. Malware fighter

I wouldn't argue cause I dont know him as well as you do :)
    On the other hand I wouldn't refer him if I have positive review done by respectable organization. If you know one and can provide link, I will take my words back. Otherwise I don't like option to test it myself and get my pc toasted :).

23. gery

gery Registered Member

Bellgamin that response was very very funny and correct . My guess is that when people believe such postings in youtube or elsewhere to be the ultimate truth it makes them HC - the reviews i mean

24. Malware fighter

How this should be read - like insult for me ?

25. gery

gery Registered Member

no no no no no no no no beg your pardon. i am talking about the reviews
    i am sorry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.