Name Not Valid problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by brothers, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brothers

brothers Registered Member

I'm trying to backup the files on a drive to a network store, using bootable TI10. When I try to specify the destination file, I get the message 'The file name, location, or format "KAREN\Backup\serverc.tib" is not valid. Please type the name or location in the correct format.'

"KAREN" is the machine with the target drive (which I successfully authenticated with prior to this step), "Backup" is the share name of the target drive, and "serverc.tib", of course, is the name of the backup file I'm trying to create.

What's going on here? I note that this same issue was raised here over a year ago ( https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=100509 ), with no resolution. I can't believe this hasn't been addressed and solved since then.

- Dennis Brothers

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Did you forget the \\ at the beginning?

\\KAREN\Backup\serverc.tib is the correct format.

3. brothers

No, I didn't. I don't know whether I mis-typed the message, or the message elided the "\\", but it was certainly there in the destination text box.

An update: as an experiment, I created a folder on the target drive and shared that folder. Referencing the shared folder (rather than the shared root-level of the drive) worked. Unclear why this should make a difference, and the error message was beyond unhelpful into misleading.

Why is there no information on net share backups in the TI manual?

- Dennis Brothers

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello brothers,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please make sure that you have set permissions for the group "Everyone" to allow full control under Security tab?

Please have a look at this article by Microsoft for more details.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. brothers

I tried that (following a hint buried in this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=100509 ), but it made no difference.

The bottom line seems to be that there is a difference between a "root-level" share and a folder share, and the former somehow confuses the ATI bootable version.

- Dennis Brothers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.