n00bs guide to encryption

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by garry35, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

can somebody give me some recommendations and opinions on the best encryption algorythm and program to use.

i know this has probably been asked before, but i just want an easy to follow guide to encryption methods without reading hundreds of posts and still being no wiser and just more baffled than i was to begin with......................

Gazzer

2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

It depends on what you are wanting to encrypt.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Try going to Wikipedia.com and search for encryption where you will get a very good overview of the topic you are seeking information about.

-- Tom

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

TrueCrypt with AES with a Pass Phrase of 20 characters or more.

PD

5. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

^ Yep ^... time tested & proven, best performance, AES. I'd add the caveat to use a "strong" password, not just 20 characters that could fall prey to a dictionary attack. That should last em a lifetime trying to brute force. Make it 32 characters if you want it to take several of them (lifetimes).

Oh, and as noobish as I can possibly put it (gotta stay true to form here), if using TrueCrypt, when you get to that part where it tells you to move the mouse as randomly and for as long as possible to improve the strength... move that sucker for as long as you can stand it. Like sit down & watch a show and consider it a wrist exercise.

There: noob tested... noob approved

6. garry35

i wanted good encryption for protecting files on a pendrive or dvd-r etc

7. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

On the pen drive, you can either use containers, or encrypt the whole device. Using containers and placing TC portable on the device, lets you have a portable encryption scheme as long as you have admin rights on whatever computer you use it on. As for CD/DVD, you can burn containers there to read from, but I wouldn't try to use them as 'live' devices. May be fine, but never tried...USB is cheap and massive for storage.

RE: Mouse movement. I thought I saw on the TC forum, that over 30 seconds isn't needed due to the buffer size, etc... May be wrong, and more doesn't hurt! :D

Yes 20 'as random as you can remember' characters. Never a real word/s, or even a "Tw3ak3d" real word. Blimuckasamogliphs*8 is good :D

PD

8. garry35

thanks for the reply but i wanted to be as portable possible, in the past i have used winrar to archive any private documents etc and encrypt with a password but i wanted to know if theres anything better from a security point of view and still remain portable.

9. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

20 is overkill. I would say 12 is a really safe number and 16 is at the point where no one will ever crack it through typical bruteforcing.

For increased security you can use a keyfile. It's like adding another 60 character password on top of what you use. To bruteforce the key would be impossible through traditional means.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.