n-tv lifestream is not working

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Habakuck, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

Hey Eset Team.

With NOD32 installed watching videos on www.n-tv.de is not possible for me and another german user from www.rokop-security.de.

My config:
    OS is Win7 64-bit
    Browser is FireFox

Disabling NOD's protection solves the problem.

What shall i do to fix the problem?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

if you disable http checking/web access protection does it work?

3. Habakuck

Yes, that fixes the problem.

4. Habakuck

I played a bit and detected that the Active Mode is responsible for the problem.
    I had activated it for FF, now i have disabled it and everything works fine.

Why is the Active Mode a problem for n-tv llifestreams?

Is it possible to fix that in the next Update?

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Active mode is not recommended for streaming media players and downloaders as whole files are downloaded by the web scanner first and just then passed to the application. Since streaming media have no end, the application doesn't receive any data.

6. Habakuck

O.k. But why is it for example possible to watch videos on n24 and on n-tv not?

Is it possible to put the flash player in passive mode while working with FireFox in active Mode?

7. Habakuck

By the way: The word "livestream" is not right here.

We are talking about videos streamed on n-tv. So the stream has an end and the application should receive data.

Let's take this video as an example: http://www.n-tv.de/mediathek/videos/panorama/Obama-erklaert-Oelpest-zur-Chefsache-article851865.html

As far as i understand the help text, Active Protection protects Internet Browsers much better then passive protection cause the whole file can be scanned and not only fragments of the file.

So i think Active Protection should work for WebBrowsers without problems.

Or what is the benefit of the Active Protection Feature implemented in Eset products?

8. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

It's absolutely unsuitable for streaming content. Please re-read the description of how it works and correlate that with your experience. You'l have extreme lag in playback start and it may even timeout meanwhile, depending on how large the stream is. So no, it won't work w/ streams without problems because it's just impossible unless the "stream" comes from a local gigabit LAN. (Oh, and note were are not even talking about "proper" streams here, such as internet radio. Which - as already said - will never finish so will never work like this w/ active mode.)

9. Habakuck

I do understand how it works and i do understand what Marcos said.

My point is: If Active Protection is a NOD32 feature, how should i use it?

As far as i understand it is implemented to protect browsers. That is what the help file says.

All other videos (on youtube, n24 and so on) are working without problems. So i try to understand what the issue is with n-tv.

10. doktornotor

Youtube is just flash junk which you can download, not a proper stream. So once again - the answer to your question clearly is that you do not use it for streaming, it will not work. If you insist on this active mode thing, then you can use another browser for the rest and turn off (uncheck) the active mode for the browser used for streaming in advanced setup.

11. Habakuck

Re: n-tv video is not working

Please re-read Post #7.

As i said it is no livestream we are talking about.

Therefore i posted the link to the video. It is a simple normal flash video.

Sorry for the missleading title of this post. :rolleyes:

Btw.: Streaming online radio via foobar works pretty good in Active Mode. So streaming is possible in Active Mode.

12. doktornotor

Shrug; do as wish, since any advice here is going straight to wastebin anyway, because you refuse to acknowledge facts about the technology. You clearly got an answer from ESET that what you are doing is not recommended, unsupported and the problems are expected b/c that's how the thing works.

13. Habakuck

:rolleyes: What the heck?

I am reading your posts and i do understand the technology!

Am i unfriendly or anything else? o_O I do not think so and i am wondering why the Eset support does not post anymore...

I am just interessted in the Active Protection!!

Dudes, i bought NOD32 and i am using it! So i think it should be possible to talk with me about some facts, help me to understand what the Active Protection is made for...

Btw. It wasn't me with this problem! A german user told me that he has problems. So i decided to test it and i finally found out that i do have the same problem. So i started to inverstigate. I am just an interested user. Is that so hard to understand?
    The german user now reinstalled NOD32 and voila: The streams are working fine. With and without Active Protection enabled for the browser. :doubt:
    So something is a bit wiered here and i try to understand and maybe help Eset to fix the probem.

14. doktornotor

Eh... There is no problem to fix here. The active scan needs entire file, checks it as a whole and then passes it to the client. It's documented. Yeah, active technology sucks with streaming.

Code:
    Active

PC <-------------------------|AV|<-------------------------- Server

Impossible to work efficiently with streaming. You need to pre-cache the entire stream. Even with "pseudostreaming" like Youtube, you'll have huge delay before the playback starts.

OTOH, the passive scan checks a part of the file, passes it to client, checks another part, passes it to client.

Code:
    PC <--------|AV|---------|AV|---------|AV|---------|AV|--------- Server

So, there's more or less continous stream of data, covered by normal buffer in the streaming client application.

15. Habakuck

Thank you for beeing back in conversation! :)

I understand the problem you describe.

But i have some things to wonder about: Let's talk about examples (-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHVSVhZw_oI-) It is a very huge video but it starts without any delay! Active Protection enabled even if you watch in HD!

Foobar radio stream (which is of course a real stream) works without any problem in Active Mode.

So i think that there is more technology background as documented..

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
  16. doktornotor

Mind you that if you have already watched the video then it's cached on your local box. :)

Wrt foobar, is it even detected as a web browser by NOD32? (Check the list in Advanced Setup). I have a long-timed hate for that player so sorry but won't check myself. :p

17. Habakuck

The video was not cached on my local maschine. I tested it with other videos too. That was just an example.

Yes, foobar is detected as a webbrowser and i set a tick for it so that it runs in Active Mode.
    Radio Streaming is no problem at all. No delay, nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.