Mysterious Non-Plug and Play Drivers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Page42, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm running XP SP3.
    I've been searching for old, not-longer-being-used drivers in Device Manager (View- Show hidden devices)
    and under Non-Plug and Play Drivers I found 7 very mysterious entries...

eyllxieduhqf

fwxvushoocou

ggjypcrvboby

lwxpmvchgwig

qdakqmhjpisj

rgtowvbyestt

uxloqpow

When I view Properties for each driver, I get the same basic non-information, as attached images show. Can anyone shed some light on what these entries are? I also see each driver listed in the registry under LEGACY with info for Device Description and Service.
    WTF driver general.jpg
    WTF driver driver.jpg
    WTF driver detail.jpg

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, it "might" be an App that renamed itself for self protection, like an ARK etc such as RkU/GMER, or even MBAM etc etc.

The names do look dodgy, knowing you though i'm guessing it's NOT malware leftovers ;)

Those legacy entries can be deleted, if you don't how just ask ;)

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi CR
    Oh trust me, I'm dying to delete them! But I'm thinking I ought to do a little investigation first. If, as you say, they are from an app renaming itself (my thought too, like GeSWall or any of a bunch of others), then I'm hoping some other members might view their own settings and discover something similar.
    Thanks for the reply! :)

4. ABee

ABee Registered Member

You may have a matching driver for each of those entries in the 'system32/drivers' folder.

Hovering the mouse over the .sys file or getting the properties of that file should give you further info, though possibly not explain exactly what it is.

But if it's from the Microsoft Corp. or some other company you recognize, then at least you'll know it's not there due to some malfeasance.

This link may perhaps be of assistance for you, as well:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-find-unknown-device-drivers-by-their-vendor-device-id/

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I should have mentioned, ABee, that I searched my system for the drivers and came up empty, other than in the Device Manager location and registry.
    Thanks for the link, I will review it thoroughly, though you see by the attached images that there is very little to track. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.