Mysterious Key stroke Logger, Help!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Webprowler, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webprowler

Webprowler Registered Member

Recently, I have noticed files on my PC running Windows xp pro named "}" or "ht}" with no extension. These files contain detailed key stroke logs. I have run Norton Antivirus, PC-cillin and spybot sd. When running Norton, the app closes half way through the system scan. I can do a full system can in safe mode, but it finds nothing. I'm weary of doing anything on my PC. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Arin

Arin Registered Member

3. Will Rock U

Will Rock U Guest

Just curious AMRX, what is the download your listing?

4. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

thats the free e-scan scanner(powered by kaspersky)

5. Webprowler

Webprowler Registered Member

AMRX,
    The program you suggested found over 30+ viruses on my PC. It has deleted, cleaned or renamed all of them. Thank you very much. As a side question, is there a reason why norton didn't pick them up? should I purchase this product intead? forever greatful..

6. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

7. C.S.Lewis

C.S.Lewis Guest

Does anyone know how to upgrade the free eScan scanner? Or do we just re-download a new one, every so often?

8. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

thats right, as far as i know

this is the one you can update, and which has real time protection

9. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Webprowler, nice to know that it worked. but there can be some bugs left so try those online scanners illukka suggested. Norton is not that good with exotic viruses and keyloggers so no wonder it failed. Kaspersky on the other hand is the best in this field. please before buying eScan, try the main Kaspersky Personal edition or something like DrWeb. these are the links www.kaspersky.com and www.sald.com. IMHO eScan doesn't worth the bucks.

mwav.com doesn't have the resident scanner but you can update it. run the KAVUPD.EXE file inside the folder and it'll download the latest definations to some folder named BASES. copy those files to the mwav.com folder and overwrite the older defination files. poof! you're done, no need to download that 4.5MB tool again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.