MyIE2, more secure than MSIE?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ahamay17, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahamay17

Ahamay17 Registered Member

I've been trying different browsers in an attempt to get completely away from MSIE, soley for security reasons. Compared to all other browsers I've recently tried (Opera, Netscape, and Mozilla's) I like the look and feel of MyIE2 best, and it seems to work the same as MSIE when I am on the secure pages of sites I use regularly. The others are not supported on most of those secure sites. I haven't seen much about the security aspect of MyIE2, and it works so much like MSIE it makes me suspicious.

If anyone has any knowledge on this, please share :)

Thanks,
    Ray

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

MYIE2 is just a pretty set of clothes for MSIE. the core browser is IE and as such has the vulnerabilities of IE. you can get IE fairly secure But firefox or opera are going to be more secure. And Firefox and opera are more customizible than IE also. I prefer opera but they are both good browsers. If you really want to be secure only use IE for windows update. But keep IE fully patched and up to date as it is still a security risk even if you are not useing it.

3. Ahamay17

That's what I was afraid of, thanks for the response. . .

Ray

4. bigc73542

Opera just released their newest browser 7.50 If you have not tried it you might want to give it a try. It's free.

just a thought
    bigc

5. Ahamay17

Hey bigc, a few questions if you don't mind. And please don't think I am trying to be a smart arse, I assure you I'm not.

Why do you like Opera? Is it purely for the security it offers? While I will agree it is a refreshing change from MSIE, and it functions very wel.l (When it functions) But when it doesn't function is where I have the problem.

The first 3 sites I went to once installed, it failed me. 1. streaming music site that I have been listening to for years, 2. my bank's website, 3. a secure site for software support/updates for a finacial program we use at work. I frequent these sites more often than any others, and I have to be able to access the latter 2 frequently. (I had it set up to indentify as MSIE 6)

Is this behavior to be expected as the trade off for the additonal security offered by the more secure browsers? The first time I tried Opera I assumed that was the case, at that point the tradeoff wasn't worth it, so I went back to MSIE. Yes I had to install update and run several programs to make up for security holes, but combined they did the job. Now it is getting to the point where they aren't doing the job, and I am wondering if I must reconsider is the trade off worth it. . .

Thanks,
    Ray

6. bigc73542

once you have downloaded opera you have to do a little fine tuning to get everything like you want it. It is a little more trouble to get set up than firefox but when you get it set it does so much more. You need to go to tools /preferences/ default applications and select all/multimedia and select all except smooth zooming of images also check enable java. After that you should be able to do all you did with IE plus more. You can customize the settings to suit your needs when you get used to it. I prefer opera ten to one over IE and firefox. I can access and do more with opera than I could with mozilla firefox. Over all I don't think you can find a better browser and the new 7.50 release really works well. It is more secure but it is a lot more than that.

7. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

Hmm looks like bigc73542 didn't directly answer your question.

The short answer is yes. Some sites will not work properly when using none-IE browsers.

Some are just lousy webmasters who for some reason want to block none-IE browsers with browser sniffing scripts, so if you can spoof IE user string etc to fool the script, then you will find that firefox , Opera work fine with them

Some use activex (and very few use vbscript) and since firefox and Opera don't support this unsafe technology , you are out of luck.

SOme are just poorly coded html that by chance just work in IE (because the webmaster only tested in IE).

8. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Well, Big C kind of did answer when he advised to keep IE-6 patched and upgraded because it provides vulnerabilities even if you don't use it. I will add that you will need to use IE to use the Windows Updates page. So, in a word, there is no escaping the vulnerabilities in IE. The best you can do is to minimize them.

- HandsOff

9. Ahamay17

Thanks for the addition to bigc's response. So far I am 1 of 3. I managed to get the streaming music site working. I will begin to petition the owners of the other 2 sites to allow access using browsers other than the security breach that is MSIE. I'm sure they won't listen, but. . .

Can anyone direct me to their favorite forums, or websites for work arounds and/or plug ins etc for Oprera? Not really interested in firefox, didn't like much of anything about it outside the security issue.

Thanks,
    Ray

10. bigc73542

Ahamay17 I have worked alone for many many years and sometimes when I reply to a question I tend to not be as thourough as I should be in my answer. I am getting better in realizing that even if I know what I am wanting to say if I don't actually type it it's not said. I appoligize if my reply was not as complete as it could have been. But I am getting better. ;)

Thanks.
    bigc

11. *&/

*&/ Guest

I think you do a fantastic job around here Bigc73542 helping people out. And deserve a pat on the back for doing so IMO.

12. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

I was actually referring to the second question about whether you can do anything about sites that fail in none-IE browsers (that appears to be the intent of the question). I do believe Big C didn't answer that at all besides plugging Opera even more.

But let's not make a big fuss, I certainly don't have anything against Big c , he just missed it and I was glad I could help.

13. bigc73542

One reason I plugged opera fairly heavy is I like it and after running it awhile and having it setup pretty well I have not run into a web site that it doesn't work on. I am sure that I will find one sometime but so far no problem.

14. Ahamay17

The actual intent of my questioning was basically two fold, 1. Why Opera, and, 2. Is there a trade off for using a more secure browser over MSIE? Bigc, you touched on the Opera, and Riverwind, you on the trade off, and I am more informed now, thank you both.

1. Why Opera? I asked this because that is the alternative to MSIE I had decided on based on my own preferences.

2. Is there a trade off? Again based on my own experiences, there is a trade off, but, can perserverance pay off? The answer is usually a resounding, sometimes. . . :D

Again, thanks to all that have replied, I always welcome ANY input. . !

I have posed a 3rd inquery that no one has touched upon, what are your favorite tips, tricks, work arounds, plug ins, forums, and/or websites regarding the Opera browser?

Ray

15. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

How do you get Opera to run on microsoft's windows update site? Is there a activex plugin for Opera?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.