My Wormguard won´t work!

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Lin from sweden, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello!

I tested Wormguard in August 2003 until it expired, then I bought a license in October 2003. After the install I´ve loaded the program and it shows in good order that it´s licensed to me, and when i use the INSTALLBUTTON the text says that everything is INSTALLED, but I can´t get the TESTCONTROL working. The Controlbutton tells me all the time that Wormguard is UNABLED.

If I try to scan a file, the program just goes "crazy" and produce ten, twenty, thirty windows in a row and I have to reboot my computer.

I´ve tried to install Wormguard over and over again and I´ve even downloaded it again, but it still won´t work. :'(

I´ve tried not to have any other program running while I installed it.

I use Windows Home XP, Spybot, AdAware, Spyware Blaster, NAV 2003, Zone Alarm Plus and TDS 3.

Please, give me an advice so my Wormguard begins to work.

Greetings from Sweden! :-*

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Lin!!!

The great folks from DCS will be by shortly to help you with your issue, but I wonder if you have had an opportunity yet to see the help info on this page, relating to possible issues with Wormguard on XP systems?

http://wormguard.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=xphelp

I hope this helps but if not, someone will be along soon enough :)

Regards,

Dan

3. Thank you very much for your kind help and interest, Dan!

I´ve seen that advices before, but I´m sorry to say it didn´t helped much, because I haven´t used the restore, and I´ve got the latest updates from Microsoft and I´ve never seen that "missing-message" after pushing the INSTALLBUTTON. The text in the little windows only says that the program is UNABLED. I´ve downloaded the program once again today, but it still won´t work with and without my license. :doubt:

Kind Regards

Lin

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Lin, there was no need for a new download/install for WG, just the keyfile in the directory was enough.
    I don't think you would like to go back all to your august situation, drop the keyfile in the directory and see if it is ok then?
    Installing SP1 (are there more by now?) can help.
    Did you install any new other software since that sugust situation, like a firewall or other firewall, other AV/AT software, anything?
    Was any of those running at installing WG?
    make sure none is as WG goes really deep into the system and no registry should be blocked and no files in use by other programs.
    Disable all those things from the autostart, you might like to reboot to be sure all files are free, install WG, install the protection and test it, reboot and enable anything you need and test WG again.

Did you install WG as an administrator or user account?
    I can imagine something in that area making a difference. Was this the same in the august situation?

5. Thank You, Jooske!

I think I´ve tried "everything" now, but my Wormguard still won´t work. :doubt:

I´ve uninstalled NAV 2003 completly but it didn´t helped.

Are there any programs (Spyware Blaster, Spybot, AdAware, etc) I must uninstall completly to make Wormguard work?

"Did you install WG as an administrator or user account?"

I´m not sure what you meen with that, but I think it is as administrator.

Well, at least my TDS 3 work very nicely! It´s a marvellous program! :D

Kindly Lin

6. dallen

dallen Registered Member

This is going to be an unpopular suggestion with the folks that frequent these forums, but I highly suggest not installing WG3. Wait until WG4 is released. There are too many conflicts that result from the installation of WG3. I've seen conflicts with Norton products and Windows. It's been explained to me that these problems aren't necessarily WG3's fault, i.e. they may result from Windows or Nortons programs. However, they show up after installing WG3 nonetheless. Again, this in my advice, take it for what it's worth.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Thanks Dallen, but i don't agree with you, as in most cases it was solvable in very reasonable ways.
    A few exceptions unfortunately; waiting for the WG4 for those cases, and for the new features of course.
    It can be it should be installed first, it can be some configuration with another program, which caused a few developers to make changes and when all was ok again there came another update overwriting working dll files with unexpected problems --not only for WG but in many areas as we can easily see when reading through the different forums.
    Maybe WG is so critical to react as first, not being the problem itself but signaling the problem in the first place.
    Leaving this question to the developers to find out.
    Anyway, WG4 will have onlyit's own DCS selfwritten files and hoping those will no longer be overwritten by 3rd parties and causing unexpected problems.
    You could add the file names in the TDS CRCscan list so you can see if any file was changed and you can know the cause.

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Maybe only confident users then. Its a difficult situation, we dont even promote Wormguard a lot anymore because the new codebase is our priority and getting it completed is what matters :)

I have Wormguard working fine on different setups, but there are bound to be some problems with older programs and newer OS's.

9. polle

polle Registered Member

Hi,

I tried the WormGuard 4 trial version and I am experiencing the same problem. Test protection results in 'Protection is not enabled!'.

I'm running XP with all Microsoft updates along with Norton Internet Security, TDS-3, Spyware Guard and Spywareblaster.

Kind Regards,
    polle

10. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I've been running WG here on an XP Pro system with no problem - however, my XP Pro was an upgrade from WinMe, if that makes any difference.

Also, Norton anything has never been on this system. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.