My Video Card is Dying

Discussion in 'hardware' started by LenC, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I have an old Dell 8400 desktop that has been relegated to a backup and extra computer.

I've been hearing some strange noises lately - it appears to be coming from a fan that is part of the video card. I'd like to just remove the video card entirely from the computer - I don't need any enhanced video capability.

My question is - can I remove the video card? If yes, how do I connect the monitor to the computer - since I'd be losing the video input on the video card? Also, as an aside, if I remove the video card, I'll have a vacant slot and an opening on the back of the computer - how I would I block that?

Thanks for your help.

Len

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

You should remove the video card and clean the fan thoroughly, it is probably not your video card that is dying, just your fan that is clogged with dirt.

You can only permanently remove the video card if your motherboard has a built-in video card installed, otherwise you cannot remove the video card. Check the motherboards' spec sheet to see if there is an on-board video card.

If you do remove the video card and you no longer have the metal bracket to plug the empty slot, you can always use a scotch tape or electrical tape to cover the opening.

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Raza0007 -

You nailed it. I blew out the card and reseated it - it's quiet! I didn't notice much dirt coming out of the card, but it sure did quiet down afterwards.

I can't thank you enough - I was about to go off on a wild goose chase.

Len

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Glad to be of service. I recommend you should also inspect the CPU fan, the power supply fan and the main cooling fan of your computer case. Clean them if necessary and also inspect the front and back air vents of the case to make sure they are not clogged. Heat is the biggest killer of computers.

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Yes - I already did that.:cool:

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Exactly. Or as noted in my sig, ALL electronics. This is why I recommend inspecting case interiors monthly, and clean when necessary.

That said, when a fan starts making noise (assuming the blades are not hitting some foreign matter) it is typically a sign the motor bearings are beginning to fail. So if me, I would start looking for a replacement fan now. And sadly, graphics card makers do not always use standard size fans on graphics cards. You may end up replacing the card.

Note sometimes it is hard (for me anyway) to determine exactly where a noise is coming from - especially if you have several motors spinning in fans and drives. I very gently touch the center hubs of fans. This will momentarily change the RPM speed and that will result in a change in the pitch of the sound the fan makes - including the offending sound, so fault isolation is easier. A pencil erasure makes a good probe for this - just wrap a piece of tape around the metal part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.