MY UNCERTAIN partnership twixt Nod32 AV 5.0.84.0 OP FW Pro 7.5

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by Escalader, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello:

Here is my OP FW Pro 7.5 and Nod32 AV 5.0.84.0 UNCERTAIN partnership setup steps, questions, concerns and my next step.

(1) Saved all the settings for both products for OP that included the FW rules and the IP block list.

(2) Removed Nod32 v4 and then removed OP FW Pro 7.5 using the OP uninstall program in safe-mode. Reboot.

(3) Installed Nod32 V5 fresh an restored my settings from V4. (reboot)

(4) Re-installed OP FW Pro 7.5 and as usual it detected the presence of the 3rd party product Nod32 AV and Suite as this is what that vendor says needs to be done to ensure compatibility twixt these 2 products.

(5) Imported all OP saved settings created in step 1(reboot)

The questions we face now are:

1) The very first paragraph of Nod32 AV V5 documentation refers to a FW function/module. Do I now have 2 FW's OR is Nod32 just thinking about their suite? I few weeks back I asked why Nod32 was saying it couldn't find it's FW module. Not a good sign if user already has a FW from another vendor.

2) The 2 images deal the with the question of HIPS and self defence. Both these are ticked or enabled in Nod32 as you can see BUT I have no idea how to choose options in these new (to me) Nod32 features. They refer to filtering mode a wording very common in setting firewall rules. I have a challenging analysis and learning curve here if I keep this feature on. It is a new HIPS compared to OP's so that is an issue as well.

3) OP also has HIPS powers enabled and ALSO active back in my OP FW Pro where it is called Proactive Protection. It has 4 functions, anti leak, system and application guard FileFolder lock and removable media protection.

With the exception of File/Folder lock (unique to OP I think) I've got potential duplication here on HIPS functionality IF these are NOT a potential problem I would like proof of this please. I fear a losing contest between the 2 HIPS /self defence functions that neither product wins leaving the hapless user (me) with no HIPS coverage.

The fact that my setup seems to be working smoothly (or on your setup ) gives me no comfort as you can high blood pressure with no symptoms either.

Comments please? Testing based observations?

For now as a risky test only I'll turn OP's features on proactive off and see if I start to get Nod32 HIPS pop ups which so far are MIA. This makes me think 2 things 1 Nod32 HIPS is doing nothing OR worse is being outrun by the OP HIPS. Then I'll do the reverse and turn Nod32 HIPS off.

Since I probably have zero risky exe's on my setup I predict that these tests for me are a waste of time. But I'll do them anyway!

Am I alone on all this again?

Stem, are you out there?:doubt:

Attached Files:

2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Eset Hips should not conflict with other products
    unless you created your own rules

3. Escalader

TY.

My questions stand unanswered by ESET or OP.

I agree they should not conflict but do they in fact?

What rules are you referring to? Those in OP FW or those in ESET?

My questions are specifically dealing with the OP/ESET partnership I have on my systems.

Are you running OP? are you running Eset AV NOT the suite ? If not then there is no way for you to KNOW.;)

4. Escalader

5. ashishsingh1508

ashishsingh1508 Registered Member

I am using Outpost Firewall 7.5.1 with ESEt nod32 5.0.84 without any problem as such.
    Both are running smoothly.. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.