[My tool] DrWeb CureIT! Updater

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

CureIt! Updater Control
    http://freeweb.siol.net/razor256/downloads/CureIT_UPDATER_PRE-FINAL.zip

Entire CureIt! package weights over 3,5MB while this updater downloads only around 900KB of update files.
    It's still under developement so it's not a one click thing,but i think it should be easy enough to use.
    This updater will greatly decrease load on DrWeb servers and make it even more user friendly to end user.

If you have an extensive knowledge of FTP commands and batch scripting you can help me out to make this thing as easy as possible to use.

EDIT:
    Auto direct download for whole CureIt! package now available inside CureIt! Update Control!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  2. shek

shek Registered Member

RejZoR----

thank you for this great tool. It works fine on my computer.

As you said, the updater downloads 900kb update files. So for me, it seems that it will download all the files everytime you run it. Is it correct? If it is, could you make the updater just download the new files only, by comparing the names (for files like drw+version number+ numerical counter) and size (for drwtoday.zip) of those files?

btw, Drweb CureIt is a wonderful on-demand scan tool. However, it's lack of the ability to intergrate with the context menu. Could you add this function in?

Best Regards,

shek

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I pretty much doubt it because you need shell extension (dll file). Maybe DrWeb guys could do it if you ask them nicely ;)

I'm working with someone else on this updater and we just managed to make a single file update process :)
    It's getting better and better :)

4. shek

shek Registered Member

RejZoR-----

Sorry I didn't make it clear. Actually I want drweb32w.exe, the one extracted from drweb-cureit.exe, to be integrated with context menu so that when i point to a folder or file and click on the "scan with drweb" on the context menu, the drweb32w.exe will be called and scan it.

btw, I saw something like "\drweb32w.exe,/tb /ts /pr /cu /icd /cnd /spr /upn /lng" in the drw_start.ini. could you tell me what these options mean?

Best Regards,

shek

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You still need explorer extension integration library (dll file) as far as i know...

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I wish I could get the CureIt, but the ftp defeats me. I wish they would use another format or whatever it would be called. I assume that the updater is only that and would not be the complete package.

Jerry

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

PRE-FINAL DOWNLOAD!!!!
    http://freeweb.siol.net/razor256/downloads/CureIT_UPDATER_PRE-FINAL.zip

Here it is,basically a completed thing :) I'm so proud to myself hehe :D

Just fire up "MAIN CONTROL.bat" and use "menu" driven controls.
    I think they should be easy enough for anyone.

Also read README file first :)
    If you have any suggestions about readme file,let me know. I'd like to make it as easy to understand as possible.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

RejZoR PRE-FINAL DOWNLOAD!!!!
    [http://freeweb.siol.net/razor256/do...R_PRE-FINAL.zip

Here it is,basically a completed thing I'm so proud to myself hehe

Just fire up "MAIN CONTROL.bat" and use "menu" driven controls.
    I think they should be easy enough for anyone.

Also read README file first]

"Easy enough.." you did not reckon that I would be trying to figure it out.
    I unzipped it, and then the updater, and the main control bat. Then I open that I get the black screen with the options.
    I cannot then select an option. My cursor does not work with them.
    How do I select the options?

I understand that I am to go through all three options the first time. Can I then put a shortcut on the desktop, and run the program from thee?

FWIW I have it on a floppy.

Thanks,
    Jerry

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You need to pres a correct number (written in fron of each option) and press enter. And yes you can do shortcut to MAIN CONTROL.bat anywhere you want.
    I also added Start DrWeb Scanner option to selection list in my internal build version. But untill then you can use executable from the folder to start DrWeb.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

RejZoR,

Many thanks. It worked. I put the folder on my desktop, but maybe under C would bebetter. However, I already have a bases folder from escan Mwav. So If I put it under C is there anything wrong with naming the folder Dr Web CureIt?

I have wanted to get this for several months, but I could not download it. You solved the problem.

Thanks,
    Jerry

11. shek

shek Registered Member

RejZoR---

I would like to download the drweb's adware/spyware signature and add it into the cureit database. Do you know where to get it? I cannot find it from ftp://ftp.drweb.com

Best regards

shek

12. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Dr.Web adware/spyware signatures are only for the registered beta testers! But I think I just have seen them (drwnasty.vdb and drwrisky.vdb) here:

http://bakkap.free.fr/DrWeb/ ;)

13. shek

shek Registered Member

zimzi,

Thank you for your help. I just found the link to be a registered beta tester. Now i could download the adware/spyware signature from drweb.

shek.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Anyone knows how DrWeb incrimental system works based on files available for download (BASES)?

15. Paul2

Paul2 Guest

Here i will explain how persoanlly i update DrWeb CureIT! :

First : DrWeb CureIT! is updated everyday with the lastest defs. (you can check the ftp), so anyone want the latest defs. version just download it again .

- How to update (works with WinRAR):

- Download DrWeb CureIT!

- Make a Zip file (or rar) with '' drweb-cureit.exe ''.

- Open the drweb-cureit.zip archive and click on '' View File ''

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/8715/dfjdghkty8dk.gif

- At this point WinRAR will unpack DrWeb CureIT! so make a folder on your favourite directory and extract everything there .

Download the latest defs. from here :

ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/bases/drwtoday.zip

and unpack '' drwtoday.vdb '' on the DrWeb CureIT! new directory created previously .

- That's all . Now you have Dr.Web CureIT! updated .

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ok,my tool does the unpacking without complications.
    But daily are daily? They are obviously changed daily,but where are then stored cumulative bases? I assume they are stored weekly,but i don't know DrWeb that much into detail (yet)...

17. shek

shek Registered Member

You're correct. I just found out the cureit is a SFX file, which means other file compression tools could also extract the cureit file. I have tried it on ALZIP and it works.

Not just downloading the drwtoday.zip, CureIT user also need to download the weekly update file once a week from drweb's ftp ( if user prefers small update file and doesn't want to download cureit every week) . The file name is drw+version number+ numerical counter, which currently is drw43253.zip. Then extract the file to drweb cureit 's directory.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  18. shek

shek Registered Member

i think drwtoday.zip is the cumulative update file for current week. So its size increases during the week as more signatures are being added in and changes back to around 1kb at the end of the week, which means another cumulative weekly update file(drw+version number+ numerical counter) is released.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Does anyone know any free command line FTP tool that can synchronize local files with those on FTP ? If i could get such app i could easily make incrimental system for it.

I just cleaned 4 BAT files and make 1 BAT that can handle same functions :)

EDIT:
    Ok,this fixed version just uploaded :)

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I just uploaded new version 0.66b.
    Everyday you can use Daily updating method while you perform full update on start of each week. This way you'll download minimal data.

But i'm still working on full incrimental mechanism... :)

21. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

I have a few questions. I came to know of Cureit very recently.

Is it totally free?
    Does it share the same signatures and scan engine as Dr.web's AV?
    How frequent are the virus updates for Cureit?

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes it's free. You can compare CureIt! with free version of BitDefender 8 Free.
    So you can only use On-Demand module. But BD8 uses integrated updater while you have to download full package of DrWeb each time to get updates or manually download defs and place them in Cure It! folder.
    My batch scripts do majority of things in "graphics" mode,almost fully automated.

Updates are daily or when needed,probably the same as for fule product.

23. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Well..my system has recently recovered from a hard disk crash...and I am looking at a robust back-up scanner (FREE). What are your suggestions? Should I go with BD8 or Cureit or something else?

24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

BitDefender is quiet good but it requires some components to be resident although you can't actually use them. It has auto-updater which works like a charm.

DrWeb on the other hand provides very good detection rates and no resident components,but it's updater is non existent and you have to update it manually or using my batch files.

25. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Thanks for this tool, RejZor - I've had a quick look and it does the job nicely and all with the typing of numbers from menus which even I can understand ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.