My surfbar is gone

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ~*Nat*~, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Hi,

Since yesterday my surfbar has gone invisible.
    You know the bar right above the taskbar, where you can see in what zone
    you're surfing and seeing the loading of websites ?

It happened a few times before, and I don't know what I did...if anything at all. o_O

It eventually came back all of a sudden, but now it's been 'gone' for too long and I don't know why.

I can't tell if a site is loading or not...etc....

Help me please.

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

if you click on view>and put a check next to status bar, it should come back :)

3. ~*Nat*~

iceni ~ Thousand thank you's...it worked !! :D

I just wonder how it was unchecked in the first place, lol.

Thank's for the fast response ! :)

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

no problem, i'm glad i could help :) you are probably right, it would be a good idea to find out how it happened in the first place.

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Nat, are you noticing the status bar gone when you click on a link, or open a new IE window?

If you have not done so already, you can lock the toolbar.
    In IE --> View --> Toolbars --> Lock the toolbars.

There is a way to have the status bar show in additional IE windows.

http://www.etheart.com/tips.php
    Scroll down the page and look for: How to retain the Status Bar If your status bar disappears when opening a new Windows Explorer or IE 6 browser window.

Regards,

snap

6. ~*Nat*~

Hello snap :)

This is very strange. Right after I ticked the 'status bar', as iceni told me to do, it came back. A moment later, when opening another window, the bar was gone again.
    Re-ticked, and back again.

Now...this isn't always happening..just once in a blue moon. Randomly.

And snap...my toolbar is locked (!)

I want to thank you for the link. It seems very helpful, though it looks like one would have to tinker with the registry which I'm not comfortable of doing....:doubt:

7. snapdragin

Nope, there's no tinkering with the registry on that one (the steps in the link). But it is odd that your status bar is randomly disappearing, that is why I was wondering if it was after you've clicked on a link and another IE window opens up, and the status bar isn't showing on the new open window.

Have you done a full scan with your anti-spyware and anti-virus, Nat? You could try scanning with them in safe mode too, though I'm thinking this is probably not related to spyware.

What do you have running at the moment security app-wise.....it could be something interferring with the browser.

snap

8. ~*Nat*~

No snap..I did not click on a link. And this has been happening months ago.
    I was always wondering, just didn't know that all I have to do is tick the 'status bar' :oops: lol.
    And after a while it would miracously come back. Then it's gone again. I don't know.

I installed 'Secure IT' about 2 days ago....disabled again, because I could not download with admin rights.
    Yesterday, installed 'SafeXP'.

And the other sec. apps you want to know about are:

Prevx, SpywareBlaster & - Guard, IE-Spyad,
    Spybot-SD, CWshredder, Winpatrol,
    a2 (free), ZoneAlarm (free)
    Avast,
    And TweakNow RegCleaner. (I only deleted things that says is Safe to delete)

Hmmm..anything else ? I can't think of anything more....

Oh, and yes, absolutely..I scan very often.

Does this help, snap ? :)

9. ~*Nat*~

Ops...forgot to admit that I don't know how to scan in 'safe mode' either.

~blush blush blush~

10. ~*Nat*~

Ok....it is now happening almost constantly.

A friend on here said to me maybe software incompatibility ~ or the least,
    some ghost in the puter. *joking*

But it sure is nerve wrecking......

11. snapdragin

Hi Nat,

We can rule out anything that you've recently installed since this has been happening for awhile, right?

I don't use many of the apps you've listed, so I'm not sure if they would be causing IE's status bar's disappearance or not (don't think so or other's would have probably mentioned it by now if they've had a similar experience).

Let's try this in steps (we want to make sure the Toolbars are unlocked first)

1. Open IE and UNcheck the Status Bar.
    2. Then UNlock the Toolbars
    3. Close IE then re-open it.
    4. Now check the Status Bar (View -> click on Status Bar to put the check beside it)
    5. Then lock the Toolbars (View -> Toolbars -> Lock the Toolbars)
    6. Hold down your Ctrl key and close IE using the x in the upper right corner.

7. Now open Windows Explorer (not IE), and click "View" and click on "Status Bar" to put a check beside it.
    8. Still in Windows Explorer, click on View -> Toolbars -> Lock the Toolbar.
    9. (We're still in Windows Explorer) Click on Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab.
    10. Click the "Apply to all folders" button.
    11. Hold down your Ctrl key and close Windows Explorer by clicking the x in the upper right corner.

Then come back here and see if the Status bar remains even if you click on a link and it opens another IE window.

snap

12. ~*Nat*~

Hi snap,

If I could, I'd send you a cyber-flower along my reply.

I did all you said.....and by the way..you couldn't have explained what to do any better ~ and all seems fine now !
    Wonderful ! :)

Thank's so much for your time and comprehensive explanation !! [​IMG]

~Nat~

13. snapdragin

Well that's good news, Nat. :D

Hopefully it will remain showing now. As to why it started behaving like that I can only guess that the settings for how folders are viewed had been changed somehow. It may have been one of the apps you had installed and uninstalled, or used to tweek with?

I found the two links at Microsoft Help & Support (knowledge base) that I had been looking for earlier, so I will post them here in case anyone else has a similiar problem and might find them helpful:

IE6 and IE6-SP1:
    Status Bar Is Not Displayed When You Open a New Browser Window

IE6-SP2
    The Windows Explorer status bar is not visible after you install Windows XP Sp2

Regards,

snap

14. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Nat, :D

To get into "safe mode" just restart.....and be ready. When you see Windows starting to load (progress bar), keep tapping the F8 key. The following screen will look like my attachment (arrow showing what would be highlighted). Now just use
    you're up down arrow keys up to highlight "Safe Mode" and hit enter. The next screen will ask.......

"Please Select The Operating System To Start" (if you have only xp it should be highlighted in grey),
    press enter and a screen with a bunch of drivers will load, at this point...."WAIT" for it to initialize!

Next you'll see the "Windows Is Starting Up" screen, followed by the "Logon Screen"....choose you're user name if administrator, or admin. if you're user account isn't. As xp loads, a caution window will appear stating.......

"Windows Is Running In Safe Mode"....confirm by clicking Yes.
    *Note : You may hear a system "beep".....not to worry Nat. *wink*

Congradulations! From here you can access you're scanning software and carry on.
    *Note : Windows will be displayed much smaller than usual, which is normal in safe mode.

When you're all finished looking for nasties, go for a restart. Upon boot, Windows may once again ask.....
    "Please Select The Operating System To Start" (MS Windows XP Home Edition "highlighted"),
    press enter and let Windows boot normally.....thats all there is to it.
    *Note : "May" ask "IS" due to the fact I have the Recovery Console mounted as a boot option.*

Sorry I didn't have a digital camera handy, or else I would have supplied x-tra screenies to ease any fears.
    Trust my description is both complete and accurate. ;)

Just take you're time Nat and be patient....you'll be fine, Oki. :)

GF

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  15. ~*Nat*~

GF....have I ever mention to you that 'black screens' frighten me ? Haha.
    No, It's oki.
    I will print out your stuff, and when I need it it's easy to follow your steps.

Thank's a bunch, my friend !!

P.S. Ok..another dumb question. Why would we need to scan in safe mode, and when ?

Isn't scanning in normal way sufficient enough ? I am just learning.............. :) ;)

16. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Hi Nat,

Safe Mode basically loads only the essential Windows files needed to boot. That means any troublesome file that loads at normal startup can be dealt with or eliminated. Malware often adds itself to the startup registry and is difficult to terminate any other way. I would scan in Safe Mode when my computer just doesn't seem right and I suspect a pest.

17. ~*Nat*~

Hi Ailric, :)

Ok...so, we do so whenever we suspect something is going on, yes ?

I will try to remember this.

Thank You for your answer ! :) :)

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Not that this is what happened to you....but hypothetically....You clicked on a Private Message you received @ Wilders. When the IE browser window opened....minus the IE Status bar....you read your PM and that was the laste IE window that you closed....which now becomes your default as far as settings go....minus the IE Status bar ?

19. ~*Nat*~

Oh No.....:eek:

When I typed the reply to Ailric, my bar was (I'm afraid to even saying )......

gone again......!

When I checked the 'View"... Status Bar was unticked again.

After all the help from snap and all of you...

I don't understand this...:'(

20. ~*Nat*~

Hello Bubba,

Yes, I clicked on Private Message...but this has even happening before.
    And I'm sorry to say, I don't understand what this would have to do with it....? :doubt:

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

When we receive Private Messages @ Wilders....at least this is what happens to me on any workstaion I am at, even at work....there is no Status bar.

If you have IE showing properly....with a Status bar....and I send you a PM....the PM window that opens should be minus a Status bar ?

22. ~*Nat*~

Hi again Bubba, :)

Well....as of right now, my status bar is still there.....even when I go to my "inbox".
    (there isn't a bar right in the pm window if that is what you mean)..but right above the taskbar.

Hmmm....will see how long this will last...:p

Thank's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.