my set up...??

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by laylow21, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laylow21

laylow21 Registered Member

i have just uninstalled nortons 60 day trial of my new vista comp ..

so nod32 is my main anti-malware program ..

first layer is winpatrol from billp studio..
    2nd is going to be comodo or outpost firewall..
    3rd nod32 is my main anti-malware program ..
    4th spyware terminator with shields and hips on ..
    5th bo clean anti trojan software
    6th spyware blaster shields
    7th threatfire spyware/av

i have also running windows defender from new as it was twinned with norton.... i dont know whether or not to get rid as it has redeeming qualities/tools to make up for its piss poor detection rate..

so the boclean/spyware blaster/spyware terminator plus hips/nod32/windows defender shields are all running/playing together nicely at the moment no problems .. as i write this my cpu useage is 3% to 10% and physical mem 50%..

does this set up seem ok to you guys it cannot be as heavy on cpu as norton was surely..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  2. stratoc

stratoc Guest

for well over a year i used nod 32 v2.7 and spyware blaster, oh and a router fiewall. i would never concider having so much clutter on my pc, especially my vista pc. other may argue but i am thinking overkill.

3. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

My $0.02:

Replace Spyware Terminator with On-Demand SuperAntispyware Free.
    Remove BoClean.

4. epdom

epdom Registered Member

Keeping the PC off at all times may be a little bit safer :)

5. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

If it works for you (no conflicts, negligible slowdown) go for it. However, your setup would bring my comp to a crawl. Also, there is no reason to run both Spyware Terminator and Windows Defender real-time,and Comodo contains a HIPS module that may very well conflict with ST and WinPatrol.

6. laylow21

good one....

i only use my comp for office 2007 and internet/music/movies etc...

if anythinh goes it will be ms defender...and maybe bo clean..

as i forgot to mention threatfire is running from boot as well..

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Why at all you are pushing so may things to your computer ? Vista is much more secure by itself , it doesn't need so many securities (8 things , wow). I'd install ESET Smart Security to replace all other products and enjoy!

If you insist on other bells , please notify us when either of Windows Defender , Winpatrol , BOClean , Spyware terminator find something that ESET misses. :thumb:

8. laylow21

i have a router firewall so i was thinking just windows firewall nod32 threatfire spyware terminator with hips enabled .. and immunise with spyware blaster as a lighter set up...

thanks for replying fellas..

9. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

And Threatfire...... You may want to take a look at some of the sandbox and virtullzation apps mentioned frequently at Wilders. Sandboxie DefenseWall, Returnil, et al. If a malware ever made it on to your system, your security apps would have a rugby scrum.

10. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Hello

And what's about 7th and next anti-malware (definetly anti-all) layers ? :D (Joke)
    No !!! Seriously :
    1) are you protecting "The Pentagon internet" gateway (or maybe GWB home PC) ?
    2) Is your PC only dedicated to malware/spyware/virus/worm/trojan catching ? Are you "malware buster" (catcher) as a job ?

Please don't be worry if I joke, but I think your strategy is not good at all (if not dedicated to a particular situation which is not the case of a Home or Small Business PC (and I'm not speaking about Games PC on which no antivirus etc... are installed)

In case of threat infiltration, imagine that all of your 5 layers dogs will try to jump at the same time and... Finally, your major risk is that they could kill themselves without having caught the threat !!! And maybe, if you do not consider this advice, please think about your spent CPU rate and Memory Amount...

To my experience, on a home PC (and most often behind a residential internet GW) you only need :

-> IDS/HIPS or application FW that will catch any attempt of unsollicited outgoing connexion (not authorized or non detected/unknow threat)
    -> Antivirus (EAV is the best :thumb: )
    -> One or severall Antispyware (on demand scanning only !!! Because EAV is proactively scanning malware)

With this configuration, you will be as safe (surely much better for fighting malware) as with all of your expected layers...

And, last but not the least, you will be able to use your PC (because it will not lag at all :) ) with optimum performances !!! And being able to use one's PC with good performances is not the best thing we could wish ? (E.g. we buy PC to be able to use interesting softwares, not to fight malwares :))

Regards

11. laylow21

hi tech boy i want to run a lighter setup......i can use lots of on demand scans i have downloaded when i want to check if the realtime shields leak...

vista is new to me my xp i had down to running on 16 critical or needed processe and 10 3rd party processes...
    this thing new started up and idled on 64 processes running...

down to 54 now ive stopped some autostarts......difficulty is getting used to vistas long term functionality with or without some auto starts...

the reason i have a few progs running is that i use my bank cards on-line multiple times a week .. also on-line banking so im a little paranoid ..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I use online banking everyday and the machines are protected only by ESET NOD32 + Windows Firewall

Keeping so many security applications does not make your computer more secure and it only gives you false sense of security. I'd suggest that you limit the programs to the most needed , learn more how to be safe on the internet , learn the new Vista security feautures and think smart :D :thumb:

13. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

. . . . . . . tis a typical example of overkill.

14. laylow21

right ive settled on nod32 and threatfire....

see what happens .. everything else had been set to manual in services so no running processes at all with them...
    i always did configure my i.e browser tighly...i use firefox mainly tho..
    with only session cookies unless in trusted sites...

only 47 to 50 processes running now from 64 out of the box...
    without any loss of usability....lightscribe etc all set to manual in services..

any other services i dont need starting on auto lads..?

15. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

IMHO it's overkill, my gosh you sure are paranoid, why go on the net at all?

16. laylow21

i was yes .. but it made no difference to performance in xp as i had 3 gig of ram....with page filing turned off .. it was decent spec and pretty quick..

i ran avg av 4 processes winpatrol 1 process spyware terminator 2 processes comodo firewall 2 processes and 15 os and office 2007 processes with taskmanger claiming 1 of them 15 process ...

im going to increase the ram in this to 4 gig so i dont have to keep turning page filing on when updating my stats files which are massive ..
    142 MB (149,478,401 bytes)
    thats about average size of file i deal with in excel...
    each page holds a million rows of data and even with my paging file increased passed the recommended size i still get a low system memory warning box with this new comp vista home premium when filtering/cutting and pasting etc large areas/chunks of data...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  17. laylow21

double posted so edited..

18. Cadoul

Cadoul Registered Member

Too much security kill security.

How many time to start a session?
    How many % cpu use without programs?

Cadoul from France

19. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

OK it's not a performance problem because of your configuration. What is hazardous is global behaviour of your all security layer...

Somebody else said (as I said too) : too much security overkill security and risk for your system is to be infected due to bad behaviour and overkill mechanisms...

20. laylow21

on the plus side phillippe i have only had 1 rootkit on my machines
    and a very rare dialler or trojan...

however i am careful .. i always download to my desktop and scan all files with on demand scanners before installing...

the rootkit was aquired downloading 1500+ music tracks thru limewire..

as for cpu .. as i write this task manager is showing between 0% and 3% .. physical memory 40%ish....running processes 48..

im only using nod32 and threatfire now .. windows fw behind router fw...and the enhanced security in vista .. firefox browser..

i feel naked .. but all these guys cant be wrong i obviously took it way to seriously .. i will just use the scans once a week with all my anti-spyware programs to be sure nothing has gotten past TF and NOD32 and reset them to manual if they set an autostart
    registry entry ..

i wouldnt mind clipping a few more microsoft autostart processes/services tho .. any ideas.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

First of all, don,t tel me that ur PC has no performane hit inspite a pile of security software grabbing the OS. Two n two make four, never five.

Just remove everything except:

- AV
    - FW( windows one may be sufficient if u don,t care for outbound, otherwise go with CFP ot Outpost as u posted).

That,s a typical home user set up. If u want to add any other thing either add a Sandbox or a behavioral blocker like ThreatFire.

U don,t need anything else at all. I even hate on-demand scanners. They just swallow ur blood( I mean ur time, energy, resources, mind n hard disk space) and never find anything.

However I do like a tootkit scan once in a while with something like gmer, rootkit unhooker etc.

Edit: I just saw u r dwonloading from limewire like anything. In that case u will need to learn much about security.

22. laylow21

limewire i used for a few weeks out of 5 years on the net...

i only keep the instaler package on my external backup drive now..

also i had/have a whole bundle of rootkit scanners installed mainly betas, but they are on demand only and cost nowt just to be there.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Limeiwre is not the culprit, culprit will the user if he uses it it in wrong way.

24. laylow21

25. laylow21

i have been going bareback for 1 month now and apart from a dialler 2 weeks back this has just been found by several on-demand scanners ..

10/04/2008 12:14:04 Real-time file system protection file C:\Users\gary\AppData\Local\Temp\zfe3.exe Win32/TrojanDownloader.FakeAlert.BS trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Event occurred during an attempt to access the file by the application: C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe.

eset only deleted less than half the traces other programs removed the rest ..

i am using windows f/w behind router firewall and nod32 av only..i have the extra security in vista fully enabled..

2 infections dialler and trojan in a month...

i got infected with nothing { 0 } the previous year or more when running a suite of freebies and trials..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.