My router, is it dead ?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Fly, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

A few more pointers, just in case someone here can help me solve my problem.

It's about the 169.254.X.X Please keep in mind that my router usually gets that IP (see previous posts).

I've done some research. From what I gather, the router cannot obtain a DHCP address. The odd things is, see previous post(s), for about one second I can obtain an 82.X IP address, ostensibly by DHCP.

Just one link :http://ask-leo.com/why_cant_i_connect_with_a_169254xx_ip_address.html

Elsewhere I've read that the 169.254.X.X is an IP address that has something to do with DHCP. And an almost literal translation: 'Windows takes/uses the 169.254.X address when no valid IP adress is obtained from DHCP'

We're talking here about connecting the router to a LAN port, without internet access.
    My router is or was capable of DHCP. And it was enabled.

Losts of search results, but I don't know how to fix it, if that is even possible at all.

If anyone can come up with a solution I'd really appreciate it.

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello Fly

Sounds like the problem might not actually be at the router...

Try running this command on your machine (as admin):

netsh winsock reset

You shouldn't need to reboot.

I had a machine that was continually getting a 169. APIPA address and this immediately fixed connectivity.

Shot in the dark for your issue, perhaps, but worth a try?

philby

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Hi.

Thank you for trying to help.
    However, the attempt was not succesful.

Btw, my computer (Windows XP Home Edition) stated I needed to reboot after that netsh winsock reset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.