My personal experience with Kaspersky Internet Security 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by altruist, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Because of the traffic-level proxy, KIS will block malicious sites and traffic even without the browser plugin (like most traffic scanners do). I find the browser plugin/URL scanner bloatware and have always disabled it, since it just slows down browsing without adding any protection.

2. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Installed KIS 2011 again today. Previous issues with internet slowdown not there:) I had to update KIS twice. It downloaded about 60 mb updates and the version was updated to 11.0.2.556 (b.c.d)

3. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

All AV products seem to go through this Sine Wave.. ups and downs. Nortons on an up, Kaspersky and ESET are on a down. Avira is on a Down, Panda is on an up, Fsecure is on an up..

There are a few exceptions, like McAfee is always on a down.

4. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I always used kaspersky until pretty recently,it was the best :-no question about that,at protecting a PC and with very few issues,however their latest products have been so buggy it was that that made me switch not its detection capabilities:-if it is configured correctly(not default install mode!)it is still far ahead of almost every other product,its just most don't take time or even know how to configure all the modules within it to give best protection and most functionality:-go overboard with some of modules and your pc grinds to a halt,to light or not telling it to protect against certain classes of malware lessens the protection too much,its a bit too complicated for average home user to get the best out of it,may give it another try when licence for what I am currently using expires to see if they are back on track,I am talking about Kis not Kav or Pure

5. NeuPravda

NeuPravda Registered Member

:mad: Excuse Me? With all due respect, WTF is that supposed to mean?

I have some basic expectations from paid software, one of those is, at the very least, detection of all commercial and/or otherwise publicly available keyloggers.

Let's hope you're just joking about keylogger exclusions, because that would be prime reason to dump Kaspersky.

:thumbd: Faulty Logic & Reasoning skills from both you and if true, Kaspersky. How do digitally sign a keylogger? ...and please don't point to a couple of hysterical parents keeping track of their kids. There is no reason, with a few specific exceptions, for any sort of trustworthy certificate for keylogger software, end of story. So if Kaspersky excludes or trusts these programs by default, there is something seriously wrong with reasoning skills at Kaspersky.

Now, I don't know if any of those things mentioned above are true. I'm trying out Kaspersky Pure after some success with their free boot CD, but still too soon to tell from my end.

Right now, I'm having trouble with their notfications linking to areas I need like the actual event and reason for action.

(Comodo is in big FAIL mode in my book after successive recent F-ups on my new Win7 64bit machine.)

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  6. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Kaspersky detects keyloggers, and if you're running Interactive Mode, it asks you if you want to allow their actions or not (with default settings KIS decides about it itself). KIS 2011 has keylogger detection enabled by default, KIS 2012 will have it disabled by default (but it's easily enabled again) most likely because average users have got scared by keylogger warnings for software/drivers which they use commonly.

AFAIK Pure acts like KIS 2010 - so it detects keyloggers by default and blocks them if they're found suspicious by heuristics and KSN reputation.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  7. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

In addition to what Rampastein said (signature+proactive detection of keyloggers (via HIPS/PDM)), the best method of defeating keyloggers is not to use Win APIs that they can hook/intercept- meaning using the Virtual keyboard, which does just that- not use specific APIs that can be intercepted by keyloggers hence defeating them "out of the box".

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Not a joke, but based on discussions like this:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=246664

If it makes you feel any better I did a test of 17 keyloggers myself a while back and of those 17 Kaspersky detected 16. The other products I tested found between 0 and 12 with most of them in the 3 to 5 range.

9. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I don't use Kaspersky any more because the 2010 and 2011 versions were disappointing for me. I don't have a slow computer, but it slowed my machine down every time Kaspersky updated itself and the Web browsing performance took a big hit because of the Web Scanner, which I disabled in the end because it was really annoying.

KIS is a great security program when it's set up correctly, but from defaults they seem to be slipping a lot and many people just install these programs with the settings they come with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.