my pc sometime does not start help

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mantra, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i have a problem
    sometime my pc doesn't start
    to be precise, exact the pc starts , the monitor keeps off , i can see red the led of the hard disks , the meaning they are working but the pc doesn't want to start

reset doesn't help

i have to shut down , shut up , reset the bios the pc start to work

i changed the bios battery and to reset the bios

the smart data seems ok

i did a scan with nod32 but nothing no virus

what could be?

this happen not every time , but often

thanks
    hope to get some help

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Probably some type of hardware issue. Things I'd check:
    • Simple flaky electrical connection onvolving the video subsystem. Removed/reseat all relevant cabling and cards.
    • Flaky power supply or power supply taxed beyond spec limits. Have you added any internal hardware coincident with the appearance of the problem?
    • CPU fan not working - runs to overheat condition. Usually this simply locks the system, but on the way to a locked state, the behavior can be flaky.
    • If the problem were soft corruption of the HDD or malware, the hit and miss nature of it would be unlikely. This sounds more hardware derived for that reason. Open the case up and look - are airflows unrestricted, is everything covered with dust, and so on.
    Blue

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thank you su much

1)i Removed/reseat the video card
    2) i did not add new hardware
    3) the cpu fan and the other fans work without obstacles , i push to the max and the pc did not shut down
    4)i opened i found some dust , i used a air canned to clean

but the problem persist :(

4. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

If possible test your system with another video card.

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I had a similar problem once. The PC was in an upstairs room of a timber house with no insulation. Room temperature differences were extreme... 8deg. C in the night to 30/34 deg. C from 11am. till dusk.
    The monitor was flaky, fozen mouse cursor, and sometimes just didn't 'fire-up' when starting the PC.
    Opening the case revealed the cause. Condensation. After drying with a hair dryer all was well for a while, but I did need to replace the video card - the condensation had really shortened it's lifespan.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I can't really comment on any hardware issues. The environment can matter: humidity, temperature, static electricity etc. Maybe there is an issue with the PSU (power supply unit) ? Try testing your system with a different PSU.
    Have you tried changing the setting in the BIOS for RAM from spf/sfp to automatic ? It's worth a try, it worked for me once. You can check your RAM with Memtest86.

You could install a new driver for your video card, possibly other devices.

The only other suggestions I can make is to search your harddrive for malware. The Avira rescue CD ( http://www.avira.com/en/company_news/rescue_cd_.html ) and the Dr. Web LiveCD ( http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/?lng=en) are a good choice. Make sure you download and burn the CDs on a different computer, and that your BIOS is set to boot from the CD player first. This way, malware cannot interfere with the antivirus.

You can also try VIPRE or Counterspy (trial is free), MBAM, SAS, Prevx or Hitman Pro, Sophos' anti-rootkit.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.