My pc freezes...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    When using my pc, i couldn't figure it out why it keeps on freezing or it hangs when in use after about maybe 1-2hrs. Then when I reset it it couldnt reboot all i see is black screen. Then after several hrs of being off, it can then start then at the beginning it says that the chipset was then reset and will load the default. I just press F1 to continue and then it operates just okay but then after 2 daYS IT again freezes. I didn't touch anything on my pc or change any of its settings. :cautious:

What is the possible cause of this, why it freezes? It didn't happen before.

2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

This sounds to me like a hardware problem. If it were my system I'd initially perform the following steps:

1. Change the battery on the motherboard.

2. Carefully re-seat all the PCI cards.

3. Clean out the vent ports and check all the fans to make sure they are running.

4. Run CHKDSK /r /f to check my various hard drives for errors.

5. Run MemTest86+ to test memory.

6. Check the main power supply.

JMO

3. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    How about if antivirus program affected this? :rolleyes:

At present, I have AntiVir anti-virus and when using the on-demand scanner I set the heuristic scanner to high and it did really find many something on which I couldn't figure it out if it really a virus or whatever. Some of what it found is an exe. Is this also possible that what it detected is something false positives that was needed by the system...should not be touched, and now its possibly the cause of this freezing pc? o_O

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you have stayed with the default settings of AntiVir, when the on-demand scanner detects malware it is in the Interactive mode. If you had then quarantined the suspected file, you should now be able to restore it via the Quarantine Manager.

Any potential false positives send to the AntiVirus lab via the Quarantine manager.

Attached Files:

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

something is probably over-heating and if it's not fixed soon will just end up breaking for ever.

i don't know very much about hardware, but you could check the fans are working correctly and the power supply is OK. i sometimes take my power supply apart and poke around at it with bits of metal like a screw driver, but i think it can be dangerous and give you a shock, even if unplugged because of the residual effect in the capacitors. i did learn about that at college, or it was mentioned while i was physically in the class, but i don't really remember much about it :doubt:

i just found this - Injury Caused by High Voltage Capacitor Discharge
    http://www.ehs.berkeley.edu/lessonslearned/shopslessons2.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.