My parents are anti Linux. How can I convice them to have Ubuntu install on my laptp?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I told them I won't have to worry as much about security and I can still go online with it and play 1 of my 2 PC games I have. Also told them about Open Office and how its like Word.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Werent you having problems with Ubuntu on your laptop?

Once you do get it working though, I would run the Live CD and have you parents play around with it or maybe you can just show them all the included programs.

If your parents really don't like linux though, Id just accept it. Linux isnt for everybody.

3. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Re: My parents are anti Linux. How can I convice them to have Ubuntu install on my la

Install PCLinuxOS, and tell them it's Vista.

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Re: My parents are anti Linux. How can I convice them to have Ubuntu install on my la

lol, nice one :D

Run the liveCD and show them how nice things are and calm their fears, install and dual boot with windows.....

BTW who's laptop is it ? ;)

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Ask them to talk to me.
    I'll convince them. Or else ...
    Mrk

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Runaway from home. Just joking. :D

Good suggestions here except mine.

Good luck.

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I'm getting a new laptop since my new HDD came and I had to reinstall Windows 2 times. The second time it failed. I'm thinking of getting a non ATI graphics card.

8. steve161

But seriously, I am a new to linux and was using Ubuntu. I can see your parents watching Ubuntu boot up with the african drum soundtrack and saying "what the hell is this". I just switched over to PCLinuxOS to check it out, and find it is more akin to windows in look and feel than Ubuntu. If the parents got a preview of PCLinuxOS, they may give the green light to install, If not, have Mrk tune them up.

9. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Have to crank up Virtualbox and download either PCLinux or Ubuntu. I gave up on Linux years ago when I discovered that almost everything I did needed a command. I survived DOS and that's what linux reminded me of. I doubt grandma and grandpa would want to be typing cryptic commands to start a process, either.

10. steve161

I hear you Chuck57. My parents are still baffled by the mouse. But PCLinuxOS keeps the command line to a minimum (as far as I can tell, so far). A lot of clicking on icons just like in Windows.

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

12. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

HaHa I really enjoyed that, I didn't know my sons dad (lil' o me) was a hacker till now......

Nice one iceni60 :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.