my only real gripe with wsa

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by zfactor, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

(and really i only have one major one) is with the web filter. it gets annoying many times since when it finds or detects something it kills everything. sometimes if i have a file (as a example just today i was downloading a new copy of office from technet because i was not at the office where my original copy was) while waiting for the download to finish and browsing the web it found something and killed my download. i started it again and went on my way only to once again have something flagged and bam download failed again. this time i simply had 2 choices either fully shut it down or disable the web shield. once the web shield was disabled i was able to download fine. webroot is a bit picky and a lot of times flags ads or pop ups as bad when every other av i use does not flag these same pages nor do they come up malicious when scanning the url through any scanner. not saying this is bad but it does seem to have a lot more fp's lately for me but only from the web shield.

is there a way this can be somehow changed or modified to simply block only the specific threat for the future?? this is fine for people who are a simple user but for me it does become a pain many times. otherwise i love it.

2. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

I'm still trying to figure out why the Web Shield triggers on LFGComic.com. Only found this out because I found the connection kills in the logs, but the page still loads. :\

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I agree with your complaints. We're redoing the web threat shield entirely - literally a 100% rip and replace, with a much better version for the 2014 product that I'm sure you will find much more effective and usable. It will only terminate the relevant connections rather than the current approach which closes every open connection, so you'll have a much better experience when blocking sites. It also will be powered by a different database so the FPs should be considerably lessened.

4. zfactor

100% AWESOME to hear!!

5. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

Just to let you know, it doesnt happen if you download using downthemall.

6. zfactor

should not have to do that though imo

7. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Nice :) Knew this already, but not about the different database. The FP's are sometimes rare and other times very frequent and entering the captcha everytime to allow is not my hobby so good news. Btw, are you allowed to tell which quarter the beta and final release are planned?

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

What do you mean by it will be powered by a different database?

9. PrevxHelp

We have a number of new technologies coming related to our cloud-based webfiltering which will be delivered with the 2014 product.

10. Cutting_Edgetech

Is there a particular threat it flags often that you believe may be a false positive?

11. PrevxHelp

The final release will be around the same time as it has been for the last couple years, in the fall. (Also, you can disable the captcha under the Access Control settings if you want)

Thanks!

12. Cutting_Edgetech

How did you respond so fast!? Lol That was like less than a minute. That's great news! I can't wait to test drive the 2014 products!

13. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

14. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Will the beta initially be released to the 'closed beta' testers as with the Prevx4/WSA release or will it be a public beta from the start.
    Very much looking forward to this new version :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.