My Oh My

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Franklin, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Returnil and Sandboxie are free fellas!

Come over to the virtual side and get yourselves really safe!:D

2. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

Thank you for reminding us.
    is this a "Come to the dark side we have cookies" type of post? ;)

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Thank you, but I need neither program to feel safe. I use my head to feel safe. ;)

4. Franklin

No, more like we have true safety type apps.

Zero day = big deal!:)

5. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I was thinking that cookies sound good :p

6. Franklin

Even cookies are gone on deleting the sandbox or a reboot from Returnil mode.:p

7. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I use Sandboxie already. I plan on trying it with Returnil soon.

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Sandboxie :D :thumb:

9. Franklin

Too easy here and both running fine here together on Vista Ultimate and XP pro drives.:shifty:

10. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

There is no need to go to the virtual side. Start using your common sense and you'll be safe. I should also add it's FREE. :)

tD

11. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I can't understand why some people are reluctant to change and adopt the stunning new technologies. It's obvious that signature scanners are no longer adequate in today's environment. It was this realisation that led me to seek better protection and brought me to Wilders in the first place.

The information that I've found, the techniques that I've learnt and the knowledge that I've assimilated since I started to read here have come to fruition and my PC is more secure than it's ever been before. I'm still on a steep learning curve but I'm enjoying it tremenduously and willing to learn more though my security set-up, while not set in stone, is becoming more anchored. I've found the programs that work for me, ones that I feel comfortable with and as for signature scanners, while those are still useful, they increasingly play a secondary role in my set up.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  12. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Common-sense, while an indispensible consideration in all walks of life may not be enough to shield against the latest threats. If your blacklist scanners are turning up malicious items from time to time, then ask yourself: how many 'niggling' scraps have slipped my defences? If you find the occasional 'univited guest' residing on your hard-drive then maybe common sense will dictate that it's time to move to the 'dark-side.' You may discover that virtualisation is a friend indeed.

If an 84 year old man on the Isle of Bute (if you're reading this, I forget your user-name, but I want to warmly say:Beatha agus Sláinte agus go mairir an chéad) is willing to experiment with FDISR then there's no excuse for the rest of us.

That's my rant for today over, folks.

13. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Are Anti-Virus programs, Anti-Spyware programs and Security Suites still needed with programs like Returnil and Sandboxie?

14. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Yes. Remember two key words "Layered Defense". Because if one fails you, another should catch it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Some answers to your question can be found in this thread :)
    I'd say that blacklists are still a necessity.

16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Unfortunately, there is still a number of users who are not using Windows XP and Vista at the current time. So upgrading to the new technologies is impossible. As for the other group of upgraded users, many use work stations ( I wonder what is the ratio of corporate versus home user) which function as a device to get your job done (not for your amusement albeit it occurs many times). People in these categories have computers controlled by system administrators who are the theoretical "browser cop" of the entire network. You have to convince the SAs to dump AV in favor of sandboxes. But those people are in their own mindset. :D

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

But that's just it - I've not had any alerts for malicious software other than doing the eicar test the other day. Perhaps I'm not travelling around the 'net far enough to come across those. ;)

If my daily visits to the BBC News website, this forum and others yield any malware, I'll of course let people know.

18. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Where do you folks surf that you are constantly running into malware? I have an AV and Vista FW and I visit questionable sites and every now and again my AV picks up a virus and asks me what to do, simple as that. I use, dare I say, AdAware SE and Spybot regularly and have no problems. I have used the Eicar test but do not go to Malware sites and start downloading until my AV fails and then start trashing it. Some people have so many "layered" defenses on their systems that it is almost laughable, it's a wonder the system functions. Also I use the dreaded IE7 just because I like it. It seems if you want the perfect set-up just use another OS other than Windows or use Firefox, Opera etc. But then, it wouldn't be any fun, would it? How would you ever test your defenses, lol.

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i find the odd virus or lately.... riskware in my general usage of the internet.

nothing major, but rather have an antivirus than surf without.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.